BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to find some threads on this, but nothing came up, maybe my search techniques are flawed. I just got off the phone with someone at BMW Motorrad Canada in which, after a bit of a heated discussion, I thanked her for nothing, and hung up. I have been trying since I got my 2014 RT to get the TPMS changed from BARS to PSI. The dealer has looked at it 3 times and each time they say they can't change it on any of the 2014 and newer RT's. The last time I tried was 3 weeks ago when I had new tires installed. Got the same answer.

I emailed BMW Mottorad Canada to find out if it was possible, or not, to do this change, and after 5 or 6 emails with no satisfaction, someone finally phoned me. Their response is basically that they don't know anything about the service and only a dealer could tell them. So, nobody can tell me if this is something to do with a software issue with the dealer, or if these bikes made for the Canadian market cannot be changed. I know I have read posts where some have said that they had their TPMS changed, but I think that was from US owners. I am asking any Canadian owners of 2014 and up R 1200 RT bikes if they have been able to do this, or if they have tried and can't get it done. I would take the bike to MAX BMW in New Hampshire, as it is only about 350 miles from me, but maybe it is something to do with the Canadian models. I know I had a LT that was a USA model and the speedometer could not be changed from miles to kilometers, but that is a different thing. An option on the computer that is supposed to give the reader information, should be able to be changed to the readout of the operator's choice.

My argument with BMW Mottorad is that most all gauges, air pumps, etc., register in PSI, not BARS, so I fill my tires in PSI, and have to look at the TPMS in BARS. Their response is "we don't know the answer", only the dealer would know that. The dealer says they don't know if it can, or will, be possible, but right now they haven't been able to do any new model RT.

I realize that the TPMS is not suppose to be used as a pressure gauge, but mine kept pretty close readings to what my pressure gauge read (on my 2010 RT), and it was nice to look at it once and awhile while on a ride, just to see what the pressures were at and maybe catch a slow leak early.

I would appreciate whatever info the Canadian owners could give me. I still don't know why BMW in Canada don't know anything about the bikes, or even understand what I am asking for.

USA, or other markets feel free to chime in as well, maybe someone will know something about this. Just bugs me that I buy an option that I can't use unless I dig out a calculator and try and remember the conversion factor.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi, Not from Canada but New Zealand. However mine was set to BAR as well and I told my dealer that I wanted the display in PSI. He said no problem and next time I was in they would put it on their machine and change the setting. Yes it can be done but requires the hook up to the computer and software to do it. My service guy asked me what else I wanted set while I was there and we went through all the things that could be set by the software.

Shame they do not have a settings menu on the bike to change these but I was not charged anything for it to be done and the major of the time was hooking it up to the computer.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Not from Canada but New Zealand. However mine was set to BAR as well and I told my dealer that I wanted the display in PSI. He said no problem and next time I was in they would put it on their machine and change the setting. Yes it can be done but requires the hook up to the computer and software to do it. My service guy asked me what else I wanted set while I was there and we went through all the things that could be set by the software.

Shame they do not have a settings menu on the bike to change these but I was not charged anything for it to be done and the major of the time was hooking it up to the computer.
Hope this helps.
Thanks. I am presuming N.Z. is on the metric system, same as Canada, so I am believing it is a software issue between my dealer and whoever they get the software updates from. I thought that these software updates came from BMW Motorrad Canada, and either they did not have the correct version, or the dealer wasn't getting it. Trying to get info from BMW Motorrad is impossible. I am hoping I find the answer on this forum, if not I will try calling a few other dealers to see if they are able to do this change.

Thanks again. I was in your country once in 2000, but never got any further than the airport at Auckland. I was returning home from Australia and stopped there for a few hours. Would have loved to see more of your beautiful country. Maybe some day.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't doubt your dealer can effect the change. But, like other software issues/changes the person at the dealer needs to understand the system they have been provided by BMW. This is where the lack of really good technicians and managers show up. I won't get into that, but do look around to other dealers and ask them. I would expect a minimum charge to hook their device to your bike and make the changes. There may be other changes you would like, the tech should be aware of any that might interest you ( such as turning on the auxiliary lighting ).

I have some very good quality tire pressure gauges here at the shop. I have found the readings on my 2014 RT tire pressure monitor to be quite accurate when compared to them. It is a feature that I really appreciate. Every get a feeling your tire is low? Just check the display.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't doubt your dealer can effect the change. But, like other software issues/changes the person at the dealer needs to understand the system they have been provided by BMW. This is where the lack of really good technicians and managers show up. I won't get into that, but do look around to other dealers and ask them. I would expect a minimum charge to hook their device to your bike and make the changes. There may be other changes you would like, the tech should be aware of any that might interest you ( such as turning on the auxiliary lighting ).

I have some very good quality tire pressure gauges here at the shop. I have found the readings on my 2014 RT tire pressure monitor to be quite accurate when compared to them. It is a feature that I really appreciate. Every get a feeling your tire is low? Just check the display.
Do the bikes that come into the USA come in with BARS set or PSI?

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Do the bikes that come into the USA come in with BARS set or PSI?
PSI.

Your issue had come up before, and the answer had always been the same - your dealer CAN do it! Have you had your firmware updated yet? We had a notice about it here in the US, and I know that they handle things quite differently in Canada, but if you need to get your RT back to the dealer for that update, then you "should" be able to insist that they look to change the BAR/PSI setting for you!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
OK, I have a 2012 Camhead RT. It can be changed. I used my GS-911 to change the clock to a 24 HR mode. I also had the choice from psi to bars and mph to kph for the display functions.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PSI.

Your issue had come up before, and the answer had always been the same - your dealer CAN do it! Have you had your firmware updated yet? We had a notice about it here in the US, and I know that they handle things quite differently in Canada, but if you need to get your RT back to the dealer for that update, then you "should" be able to insist that they look to change the BAR/PSI setting for you!
Yes, my firmware was updated, and I have had it to dealer for 600 mile initial service where I first requested the TPMS change. Again at 6000 mile service, same request, same answer, they tried but "as of yet" they are unable to do this. Requested again 3 weeks ago when in for new tires...same answer. The dealer insist their software is the latest version. I will be going in soon for 12000 mile check and will try again. BMW Motorrad Canada has been talking to the dealer about this, but from what I can gather from my conversation with BMW Canada, they were asking the dealer if this change can be done, i.e., they were trying to find out from the dealer the answer to my question. The dealer reply to them was that "for some bikes it could be done, for others it doesn't seem to work". I took that to mean that the ones they could not change was all 2014, 2015, and 2016 models, and the ones they could do it for was for earlier models. They kind of skirted the issue, I think by implying that some worked and others did not, instead of being specific to model years. That said, I am taking what was said by the dealer from what BMW Motorrad Canada told me, and it may not be exactly what the dealer actually said.

Thanks for the input, but still no real concrete answer from anyone in Canada as to whether their dealer has done this. It may be I am the only old school rider in Canada that wants to use PSI, I don't know.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I have a 2012 Camhead RT. It can be changed. I used my GS-911 to change the clock to a 24 HR mode. I also had the choice from psi to bars and mph to kph for the display functions.
Thanks for the input, but it doesn't help my question. I need to know about ability to change the RT Wetheads, 2014 and up. I had the earlier model and I know it can be changed as I had it done to mine. I am not sure about the kph vs mph change, I don't recall trying that on my 2010 model.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Thanks for the input, but it doesn't help my question. I need to know about ability to change the RT Wetheads, 2014 and up. I had the earlier model and I know it can be changed as I had it done to mine. I am not sure about the kph vs mph change, I don't recall trying that on my 2010 model.
Sorry but you didn't specify model and year on the topic header.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i don't know what ur issue is
here in the land of Canuck's we been using metric/ standard for years
1 bar= 14.7 psi crap i still think in mph and have to conveter the kmph to mph
I understand that u want it in psi but to what point are u willing to go to
if u got to MAX BMW and they set it to psi, is it going to revert back after the battery goes dead???

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
if u got to MAX BMW and they set it to psi, is it going to revert back after the battery goes dead???
If it's possible to change it, it will not revert to 'Bars' after a battery change.
I changed my display to show km/L instead of L/100km for the fuel consumption and it stayed the same after changing my battery last winter.

·
Registered
207 Posts
And I highly doubt it has anything to do with the batteries in the TPMS units either. Settings like these are kept in non-volatile memory, so having a dead battery or removing a chassis battery, even for months shouldn't affect measurement unit settings.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you don't know what my issue is, guess you didn't read the posts. So what if Canada has been using the metric system for years, it is only a "semi-metric system that we have" and a lot of things are still in imperial measurements. I travel in Maine a lot, so all service stations that would have air pumps would register PSI. And the BIG REASON, I am old school and I want my reading in PSI. You may not think it is a big deal, that is ok, but since I paid for that option I would like to be able to use it in a language I can understand. Next thing you know our bikes will come into the country with a French/English setup.

BARS, although it is a metric unit of pressure, is not part of the International System of Units and is discouraged from use by various bodies. The National Institute of Standards and Technology includes it in list of units to avoid, as do others. For me to convert a 2.7 (BARS) reading from my TPMS x 14.5 (not sure where you got 14.7, everything I looked up said 14.5037738), I would need a calculator or a pen and paper as I am not a math whiz. Doing either of these while driving is difficult. It has been awhile since I have used a tire pump at a service station, but last time I did it measured in Kilopascals, or PSI, and you usually could choose either. I have never seen a tire pressure gauge at Canadian Tire or other retailers that measures in BARS, they may have them, but most are in PSI. Tire manufacturers, and 99.9% of people on this forum, as well as BMW dealers all give recommended tire pressures in PSI, not BARS, I don't know what the younger generation use for this, and if they are taught BARS in schools, that is fine for them. For me, it is not, and I am willing to go to any point to get mine changed if I have to. I just spent close to $600.00 for new tires, getting them installed, balanced, etc., and correct tire pressure monitoring is important to me. Being able to use this TPMS while riding was why I ordered that option. I could change it on my 2010RT, why would they make the new model non-changeable? BMW should not make something like this so difficult, and someone, either BMW Motorrad, or the dealer, should have an answer as to whether this can be done on Canadian market bikes.

Sorry for the rant (maybe I should get Rick Mercer involved).

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
I had my 2015 RT LC TPMS readout changed from Bar to PSI at my first service. No problems.
Like Canada, Australia is metric but being 60+ years old some things make more sense to me in Imperial.

Ian

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Sorry for the rant (maybe I should get Rick Mercer involved).
Rick's rants have some merit, I really don't see it in this case. How hard is it to remember two bar values, one for the front tire and the other for the back tire? It doesn't change that you can fill your tires to the equivalent PSI value. To me it seems the simpler solution is to remember the bar values and then carry on as always.

Gerhard

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rick's rants have some merit, I really don't see it in this case. How hard is it to remember two bar values, one for the front tire and the other for the back tire? It doesn't change that you can fill your tires to the equivalent PSI value. To me it seems the simpler solution is to remember the bar values and then carry on as always.

Gerhard
Sorry you don't get it. May be simple for you to remember bar values, not so simple in my opinion. When the bar value changes say from 2.7 to 2.6, 2.5, etc.,, what does that mean? I know the tire pressure has gone down, but what meaningful (TO ME) amount? It it were in PSI and my setting was at 42 psi, and the pressure changed to 41 I would know it has gone down by 1 psi and not a significant amount. With the bars I don't. No, it isn't a life and death matter, and to you it seems petty. Guess you were brought up in the Metric era....I wasn't, don't like it, and am too old to change. And even if I could memorize numbers, or get out a calculator and convert...that isn't the point...I have an option that I paid money for and can't use it the way that I want it. Other metric countries seem to be able to change the reading, so I think it is a BMW Motorrad or a dealer issue. But the thing that makes me RANT the most is the way BMW Motorrad can't even answer my question and apparently don't know a thing about the service on the bike.

I haven't heard anything meaningful from Canadian riders on this, other than they don't see my issue, or I should be able to adapt. If someone could point blank tell me that this reading cannot be changed IN CANADA, then I will forget the issue. Until then, sorry but I'd rather get to the bottom of this.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Sorry you don't get it. May be simple for you to remember bar values, not so simple in my opinion. When the bar value changes say from 2.7 to 2.6, 2.5, etc.,, what does that mean? I know the tire pressure has gone down, but what meaningful (TO ME) amount? It it were in PSI and my setting was at 42 psi, and the pressure changed to 41 I would know it has gone down by 1 psi and not a significant amount. With the bars I don't. No, it isn't a life and death matter, and to you it seems petty. Guess you were brought up in the Metric era....I wasn't, don't like it, and am too old to change. And even if I could memorize numbers, or get out a calculator and convert...that isn't the point...I have an option that I paid money for and can't use it the way that I want it. Other metric countries seem to be able to change the reading, so I think it is a BMW Motorrad or a dealer issue. But the thing that makes me RANT the most is the way BMW Motorrad can't even answer my question and apparently don't know a thing about the service on the bike.

I haven't heard anything meaningful from Canadian riders on this, other than they don't see my issue, or I should be able to adapt. If someone could point blank tell me that this reading cannot be changed IN CANADA, then I will forget the issue. Until then, sorry but I'd rather get to the bottom of this.
I have to agree with you! The fact is that what you want CAN be done by the dealer, and it is up to the dealer to satisfy the customer! The fact that the dealership that you have doesn't have the skill to do so is totally unacceptable! It is about time that you look to another dealer, if you have one not too far away. I suspect that Motorrad Canada isn't going to be able to help either, because they still have to depend on the dealership to do the actual work!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I guess if it is possible they should put an effort into doing it for you, just that I look at it is it really worth ruining a day or two over. This may be because my expectations of TPMS are low to begin with, mine is in PSI but it doesn't reflect the reading from my tire pressure gauge so I just look at it as is there a trend in the readings not the actual number. I want it to alert me when stuff is happening but I still check the tire pressure every week to 10 days. Just on the last morning of a three week trip and I probably checked the pressure 4 or 5 times. When I first got the bike it bothered me enough to buy a better pressure gauge only to find it agreed with my cheap Canadian Tire gauge.

Gerhard

1 - 20 of 49 Posts