BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost got stranded.
Yesterday while riding my primary remote would not deactivate the alarm immobilizer, right away. I thought I might have been in an RF interferance field or something. Held it real close and it deactivated on the second try.
Today It would not do it at all. I got my second fob and it worked. Then going to lunch I had to hold it real close again. First one did'nt work the second one flakey. BMW dealer didn't have a battery but Radio Shack did. Whew. I have a 2003 and the manual says change them every 2 or 3 years. Lucky I had my backup, but my backup was not reliable either. :(

·
Registered
470 Posts
If it happens again just pull the horn circuit fuse and it will start as if there wasn't a alarm system........

·
Registered
78 Posts
It would be helpful to me if you would post the specifics of the battery size. Also, how did you get a second fob?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Simon: That is correct.. It might be taking a chance but it will start, and get you home or to a store to buy a new battery. Just what your rear end till you get to where you need too be...... Found this out by accident. Bike was in shop and I forgot to leave alarm fob. Got the bike back and found it did not have a horn heading home from Hollywood BMW. After getting home I realized the LED was not on and I did not need the fob to start it. So the tech pulled the fuse to do the work he needed to do and fogot to replace the fuse......USE FOR EMERGENCY ONLY!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
esa said:
It would be helpful to me if you would post the specifics of the battery size. Also, how did you get a second fob?
Second fob came with the bike. Battey size listed in the manual. It was something like CR2303, I'd have to look it up in the manual again. With the new batteries, I can toggle the alarm from across the street. Was having fun with people in Chagrin Falls tonight. ;)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Craig,
That was a dangerous situation the dealer left you in !.
I once left the dealer during the daytime and during the trip back had to use the head light.
Nothing.
I discovered they had forgotten to replace the fuse after doing some work, so had no tail lights either.
I always check now.
Simon

·
Registered
78 Posts
I owe a '05 Lt. Can you tell me where to point the fob to --- i.e., where on the dash or whatever is the sensor located?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mwnahas said:
Second fob came with the bike. Battey size listed in the manual. It was something like CR2303, I'd have to look it up in the manual again. With the new batteries, I can toggle the alarm from across the street. Was having fun with people in Chagrin Falls tonight. ;)
Correction. I looked it up the battery number was CR2032. Well I was kinda close.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
ESA

It is under the Top Case. Point to the rear of the rear seat.

·
Registered
510 Posts
mwnahas said:
Almost got stranded.
Yesterday while riding my primary remote would not deactivate the alarm immobilizer, right away. I thought I might have been in an RF interferance field or something. Held it real close and it deactivated on the second try.
Today It would not do it at all. I got my second fob and it worked. Then going to lunch I had to hold it real close again. First one did'nt work the second one flakey. BMW dealer didn't have a battery but Radio Shack did. Whew. I have a 2003 and the manual says change them every 2 or 3 years. Lucky I had my backup, but my backup was not reliable either. :(

You are so right. I am about to leave on a long road trip and after reading this posting I decided to go ahead and change the battery in both of my "remote" units. LT is only 6 months old and I have always had to get within a close proximity for them to activate the storage lock-up and alarm. My 03 LT did not have the same problem and it was easy to activate within 100 feet of the m/c. With a new LT it never occurred to me to change the batteries so soon. New batteries installed and I have an instant upgrade on range and speed. Must have been an old supply of batteries on hand at the remote control factory the day mine were assembled. Thanks for pointing out the obvious

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've had my Lt for one year now and up until two months ago I too always had to hold the remote very close to the right side of the instrument cluster to activate and de activate the alarm. Then one day I used the remote in the opposite direction that I've been accustom to ( the key ring facing the bike) and presto the remote works up to 20' away.

·
Registered
78 Posts
jzeiler, I replaced my top-case with a Ft. Worth BMW rack. From your post I assume the sensor that controls the alarm (and the alarm) is under the flat area that is under the top-case or, in my case, the Ft Worth rack.

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
esa said:
I assume the sensor that controls the alarm (and the alarm) is under the flat area that is under the top-case
That's correct. The alarm module sits just in front of the tail light.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts