BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 LT is terrible with the FM radio reception and it is a complete hassle to keep removing the original antenna when covering the bike with canvas cover. Below are pics of the min project.

I remove the trunk and left fairing so that i can detach the original antenna holder and old wiring to the stingray

I route the cable of the new antenna along the existing one and place the antenna between the trunk and back seat.

Reception of radio is greatly improved. Now i can enjoy my FM radio while riding... perhaps next time i will try to replace the radio with Jensen when i am more confident with removing the fairings and electrical work.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Looks nice, a couple questions to go along with it:

1. who is the manufacturer of that antenna, and what is the model # etc?

2. Does it help pick up AM radio? I have no problem with FM, but even when I am a scant couple miles from the transmitters cannot pick up AM (yes, I listen to AM).

3. Does a passenger on the back interfere with the reception?

This mini-mod is on my list of to-do's this fall/winter along with possibly doing a Jensen install for a host of reasons.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there, from Tune Trapper

http://www.tunetrapper.com/index.html i am not too sure does it help with AM... it is made in US so i presume it does as in SIngapore, we have no AM radio due to the short distance from one end of the island to another... so FM is more than good.

No issue with having passenger and reception is pretty stable and clear.. unlike my old antenna... it is a nice and small mod ...

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Steve,

The TuneTrapper is made in Florida by another guy named Steve.

Find them at www.TuneTrapper.com.

Great product, fantastic service, good people.

I get zero benefit from referrals, but do not hesitate to tell Steve that you were referred here by the BMWLT.com forum. Several folks from here have bought the TT. Maybe if we keep mentioning the forum there will be a prospect for a future group buy or member discount for those that do not yet have one of these antennas.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The TuneTrapper looks to be a great upgrade for a reasonable amount of money. I see myself doing this upgrade over winter while I do a few other things, if I can learn a few things first....

Is this a special order item for our LT's? No way can I fit a 24" antenna behind the seats. Also the cable is only 2ft long. That won't reach even close to the stingray.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
If you call Steve at TuneTrapper, you can order their new 16" version and also get it with a 6' cable. Be sure to specify whether you want the cable in the center of the bar or on the end (center is most common).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts