BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Well, my 2002 finally hit 36K. I am going to try and perform the 36k service myself (thanks to Mark Neblett and company for their 24k demo 2 years ago at CCR in GA).

Has anyone ever replaced the lining for the chain tensioner rail and the chain guide rail? Maintenance calls for doing this at 36k.

BMW wants 800 bucks for this service, ouch, thought I would attempt this myself.

Thanks,

Erick

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
I think it has been mentioned several times on this forum that this item does not need to be replaced until way later.

I am sure the $800 quoted by BMW include all the labor to get to the chain tensioner, most of which you are doing while stripping the bike for the valve check.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I agree with Gilles, Later way later. Take a look at it as you pass 100K

·
Banned
588 Posts
At 137,000 miles on my 2000 K1200LT with mostly PAO synthetic motorcycle oil changed at 12,000 mile intervals, the metal on the chain tensioner was never changed and only polished with no visible wear.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,457 Posts
grifscoots said:
108,000 miles without changing the chain guide.
120K on ole Toad and still a virgin chain guide. Matter of fact, I think I've only heard of one, or maybe two, chain guide replacement threads in the 9 years or so of reading forums. And one of those may have been a 'just wanted to see how hard it wuz to do'!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

Been reading some of the old posts on this forum site. My mind is made up, not changing guides nor bringing bike to a dealer for service. Should be able to due most if not all work myself. Coolant looks a little tricky.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,457 Posts
ehaughn said:
Thanks guys.

Been reading some of the old posts on this forum site. My mind is made up, not changing guides nor bringing bike to a dealer for service. Should be able to due most if not all work myself. Coolant looks a little tricky.
Coolant is just a 'leetle' tricky. I'd suggest a helping hand or two to keep from making a mess. Be warned about removing the coolant temp sensor near the oil sensor - when you remove that thang, coolant wants to see how far it can spit. Spit equals a mess!! :eek:

Also, don't know if it works for everyone, butt when it came to the instructions for draining the coolant reservoir, I read where they indicated to remove the reservoir!! Yikes - that's a toughie. So, I just disconnected the tubing at the radiator cap and lowered the tubing to the floor with no sag/swag in the line and let it drain into a container by gravity. Doubt a capful or two remained in the reservoir bottle. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts