BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surfing eBay during lunch and came across this.

Have ceramic pads on the SUV which eliminated dusting. Any one have experience with these pads?

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agree regarding the price/quality equation but was wondering of any benefits of ceramic vs sintered.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
PMitchell said:
Agree regarding the price/quality equation but was wondering of any benefits of ceramic vs sintered.
Paul, I don't know what sintered means or how I compares to ceramic. I did install a set of ceramic on the front of my car. I had heard that they wore the rotors excessively and I was very hesitant when I purchased them. I like em. One year later (15,000 mi) No noticeable rotor wear, vehicle stops great, I can't see anything wrong with them.

·
Registered
349 Posts
In theory, ceramic is less susceptible to changes in temperature than sintered pads are. One of the issues I've had with EBC HH pads is they are very sensitive to temperature, with a tendency to be non-linear when cold. It's a race pad, bred to work great if kept HOT. Ceramics are very temperature-stable.

Ceramics can become slippery when wet, so a true ceramic pad may be dangerous after a long highway ride in the rain. Race ceramics are that way, and they've scared me in the past. I would hope street ceramics would overcome this, but again, I simply have seen too much cheap Chinese junk fail to trust them to do anything right. Harbor Freight is good for some things, but not life-supporting equipment.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
calvarez said:
In theory, ceramic is less susceptible to changes in temperature than sintered pads are. One of the issues I've had with EBC HH pads is they are very sensitive to temperature, with a tendency to be non-linear when cold. It's a race pad, bred to work great if kept HOT. Ceramics are very temperature-stable.

Ceramics can become slippery when wet, so a true ceramic pad may be dangerous after a long highway ride in the rain. Race ceramics are that way, and they've scared me in the past. I would hope street ceramics would overcome this, but again, I simply have seen too much cheap Chinese junk fail to trust them to do anything right. Harbor Freight is good for some things, but not life-supporting equipment.
Ceramics have a longer life, right?

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts