BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for suggestions for good rides in upstate central NY, like east of Ithaca and south of the Adirondacks, i.e. day rides with twisty roads, nice back roads, scenery, good places to eat. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The area you're in isn't going to have too much in the way of hair raising twisties; it's mostly pastoral. However, anything around the Finger Lakes is worth a tour. Again, not much for twisties, but very scenic with beaucoup state parks and water falls. A hike down Watkins Glen is a great thing to do on a hot day. It's almost all shade and the mists rising from the falls can't be beat.

Lots of choices in Ithaca due to Cornell and Ithaca College. If vegan fare is your preference, you can't beat the Moosewood. The Village Tavern in Hammondsport (south end of Keuka Lake) is excellent. Meanwhile, there are enough wineries and micro brweries to satisfy anyone's tastes and thirsts. Seneca Lake now has a distillery making a passable gin.

Take a spin up Harris Hill near Elmira and take a ride in a sailplane, powerless flight at its best.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
Tracus said:
The area you're in isn't going to have too much in the way of hair raising twisties; it's mostly pastoral. However, anything around the Finger Lakes is worth a tour. Again, not much for twisties, but very scenic with beaucoup state parks and water falls. A hike down Watkins Glen is a great thing to do on a hot day. It's almost all shade and the mists rising from the falls can't be beat.

Lots of choices in Ithaca due to Cornell and Ithaca College. If vegan fare is your preference, you can't beat the Moosewood. The Village Tavern in Hammondsport (south end of Keuka Lake) is excellent. Meanwhile, there are enough wineries and micro brweries to satisfy anyone's tastes and thirsts. Seneca Lake now has a distillery making a passable gin.

Take a spin up Harris Hill near Elmira and take a ride in a sailplane, powerless flight at its best.

Hope this helps.
If you do venture to Hammondsport drop into the Curtis Museum for a real treat into aviation history and some antique moto's as well!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Shoot, I forgot about the Curtis Museum. May as well put in a pitch for Mark Twain's study, "The Octagon" on the campus of Elmira College.

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
Tracus said:
Shoot, I forgot about the Curtis Museum. May as well put in a pitch for Mark Twain's study, "The Octagon" on the campus of Elmira College.
I also have a recommendation on a good (read reasonable price & great breakfasts) B&B in Watkins Glen walking distance from the lake.

10% off when booking through this site (including 1871 Benjamin Hunt below)

http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/watkins-glen-new-york.html

1871 Benjamin Hunt B&B in Watkins Glen

http://www.benhunt.com/index.php

·
Registered
989 Posts
ridesmith said:
I'm looking for suggestions for good rides in upstate central NY, like east of Ithaca and south of the Adirondacks, i.e. day rides with twisty roads, nice back roads, scenery, good places to eat. Thanks for any ideas.
Just head east!

There is a wonderful riding area in the Catskills and north of them: basically the whole area constrained by Route 17 (future I-86) and Route I-88, all the way up to the Thruway.
Best riding is in the western section, much less crowded and less restrictive speed limits (and patrolling... :rolleyes: )

It is about 2 hours riding time north of where I live; anytime I have a day's time available for riding, I go up there. Any road you reach is fun.
My personal favorites are Beaverkill Road in Sullivan County, County Route 47 (Oliverea - Frost Valley), Route 42 (Peekamoose), side-roads off Routes 23, 23A, 23C and the area east of Delhi.

Last several times, I stayed at Lanza's Inn in Livingston Manor. Nice country inn with a pub and with a restaurant. Meaning: no long-distance walking to have drink and dinner once you check in and get out of your gear.

There are also some other nice places in the area. As a shameless plug, here is a thread I started on ADVrider, trying to collect great motorcycling places to stay.

Enjoy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.