BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get some guidance from more experienced LT riders about getting off the centerstand. I can (barely) get it on the thing, and up til now, I've pushed it off from the left side. I have been careful and lucky not to let it get away from me to the right. I wonder if you can sit on the saddle and rock it forward so that both feet are on the ground. I don't think you can actually ride it off the center stand - I don't even know if there is an interlock switch like there is for the sidestand. How do most folks handle it? :confused:

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
whitehouse said:
I'd like to get some guidance from more experienced LT riders about getting off the centerstand. I can (barely) get it on the thing, and up til now, I've pushed it off from the left side. I have been careful and lucky not to let it get away from me to the right. I wonder if you can sit on the saddle and rock it forward so that both feet are on the ground. I don't think you can actually ride it off the center stand - I don't even know if there is an interlock switch like there is for the sidestand. How do most folks handle it? :confused:
The ONLY way I've ever taken ole Toad off the centerstand is by being in the saddle and 'lurching' forward; hands on the clutch AND brake levers and stopping once the rear wheel is on the ground. I watch the guyz at the dealership and they push the bikes on and off the lifts; push the bikes off the centerstands; and I'm impressed that they do - I can't.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
The manual says you do it while standing on the side of the bike. I won't do it that way. I feel I have more control if I'm on the bike and rock it forward. I can balance it better if I'm on it. I don't know anybody doing a ride off. You would need a shortened center stand.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
It helps a little if you start the rocking on the front tire, bounce it off the back tire then lunge forward.

I watched a guy picking up his bike from a dealer try to propel it off the center stand in first gear. Then I watched him pick up his bike.. with the help of us bystanders. I know it can be done (without dropping it) but I've never even tried it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The only time I've dropped mine to the right was while taking it off the center stand without being in the saddle.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,109 Posts
The wife and I do a "1, 2, 3, GO as we rock together. Some times it takes a couple of tries. I miss the the ride off stand I had on my 78 R80.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Ride'em cowboy--never tried it any other way. :cool:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Guess being on top of old girl is the safest way of getting it out of center stand, but it is perfectly doable also from the (left) side. First 2 years I also took it down that way (sitting/standing on top of it and rocking) but now last years I have always done it from side. Just takes some practising and courage ;) in the beginning. One just have to take care of keeping the centre of gravity on your side.

Dragging it on to the center stand is also in fact very easy task. You just have to make sure of couple things: 1) Make sure the gear is in neutral 2) Make sure *both* feet of center stand touch the ground when you step on the "pedal" and gently lift from the handle. Of course the bike should be on a flat surface. If there is any elevation under the bike or the bike leans on either side it might make your lift-attempts pretty hard.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have a problem with leg length and coming off the center stand, I have to slide to the left and put that foot on the ground to get the bike forward and off the stand. Scares the s#*t out of me everytime I do it. I usually do as you do, from the left side, lean my hip into the seat, hands on the grips & brake and lurch it forward. It is still a little bit of a brown stain experience but not as dramatic. I would never try a ride off, did that a few times on my RT and the landing is unstable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sometimes, to get mine on to the centrestand, I raise the left passenger footrest, stand on the centrestand and pull on the handle under the seat - whilst still on the bike!! At 6ft tall, it works for me. I am becoming paranoid about dropping her as she rolled off the side stand once, and no one around to help pick her up!! Pulled and strained muscles ached for days!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
C-A-D said:
Guess being on top of old girl is the safest way of getting it out of center stand, but it is perfectly doable also from the (left) side. First 2 years I also took it down that way (sitting/standing on top of it and rocking) but now last years I have always done it from side. Just takes some practising and courage ;) in the beginning. One just have to take care of keeping the centre of gravity on your side.

Dragging it on to the center stand is also in fact very easy task. You just have to make sure of couple things: 1) Make sure the gear is in neutral 2) Make sure *both* feet of center stand touch the ground when you step on the "pedal" and gently lift from the handle. Of course the bike should be on a flat surface. If there is any elevation under the bike or the bike leans on either side it might make your lift-attempts pretty hard.
"Gently lift"????? Okay, what type of chainfall or hoist are you using? That's the only way I know of to "gently lift" two tons of dead weight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always get on the bike, start it, put it in 1st then rock forward and ride away right off the center stand.. No problem

·
Registered
478 Posts
sitting on the bike with hands on the bars i think is safest way to ge it off the stand

as for getting it on the non power stand.actualy the leaver affect of the foot pad is pretty good. a hop & a pull and up she goes. haveing the bars strait makes all the diffrence

·
Registered
594 Posts
pendie said:
"Gently lift"????? Okay, what type of chainfall or hoist are you using? That's the only way I know of to "gently lift" two tons of dead weight.
You would be surprised :( It is not matter of strength - all technique... As for bikes I have had quite a few which have been all lot lighter but the design of the center stand has been so poor it really has been a pain to get those s***rs on the stand. LT is so easy, I have always wondered why they have installed that electric one on those newer models... (alright - just a little bit envious...)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't had my K1200LT long, but I don't find the centerstand as daunting as all of the posts make it out. If both stand legs are in contact with the ground, pushing down on the centerstand "lever" while gently lifting with the "handle" works just fine.

I replaced the centerstand on my R60/5 with a shorter stand that was much easier to put the bike on and that allowed easy ride offs. I'd love to find something similar for the LT. To get off the LT stand, I just get on and push/lurch forward, using the brake to stop.

I don't see how I could ride off the stand, as the back tire isn't near the ground when I'm seated on the bike?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I always try to make sure that I'm on level ground when I'm going onto the center stand.
( and I use the center stand a lot )
Coming off the center stand, I put the sidestand down..left hand on the grip...right hand on the sidecase handle..give the chrome trim piece (by the power socket) a nudge with my left knee...down she comes.
Keep her weight slightly toward you and and pull her backward slightly while you set her gently onto her sidestand. Now she's ready for you to swing a leg over.

Of course it's best if you do this on a level, if not slightly uphill surface. On a downhill slope, your'e all done.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
When I'm in a parking lot with a level get away in front of me, I climb on the bike, both feet on the pegs, start the bike, put the bike in first, rock the bike forward and release the clutch on the way down, add throttle and ride off. Been doing this since I saw John Rehder do it when I first started riding in 2004.

When on the centerstand in the garage, I straddle the bike, both feet on fhe ground, pull the clutch in, rock the bike forward and hit the front brake as soon as the rear wheel hits the ground. I've never done it any other way.

jm2cw

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I sit on the bike and rock it forward so both feet are firmly planted when she comes off the centerstand.Never had an issue.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Steve_R said:
When I'm in a parking lot with a level get away in front of me, I climb on the bike, both feet on the pegs, start the bike, put the bike in first, rock the bike forward and release the clutch on the way down, add throttle and ride off. Been doing this since I saw John Rehder do it when I first started riding in 2004.

When on the centerstand in the garage, I straddle the bike, both feet on fhe ground, pull the clutch in, rock the bike forward and hit the front brake as soon as the rear wheel hits the ground. I've never done it any other way.

jm2cw
I'm with Steve on this one. As he said, assuming there's a clear path to the front, sitting on the bike with both feet on the pegs, engine running, clutch pulled in, trans in 1st gear, using my ample body weight I rock forward and as the tires make contact with the ground just ease out the clutch, add a little throttle and ride off into the sunset. Practiced this technique on 3 Gold Wings, 2 K1200LTs and now my R1200RT and never had an issue. That technique was when riding solo. When the Wife was on board we did like John said, on the count of 3 we would both rock forward and stop using the brake with both feet on the ground as the tires touched down. Never felt comfortable lowering off the sidestand while standing along side.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts