BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have any problem getting it ON the centerstand, but how the heck do you get it OFF? I was rocking it like crazy in my garage yesterday before it finally toppled forward, and it's kind of scary with a big bike like this! :eek:

I have a slightly different technique getting it on than what I saw on this site. I put it on the side stand, and then face the rear of the bike. I put my left foot on the centerstand, and push down on it, while pulling with my right hand on the grab point on the saddlebags. If you do it right and use a smooth motion, it works like a charm and takes very little effort.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
hagar said:
I don't have any problem getting it ON the centerstand, but how the heck do you get it OFF? I was rocking it like crazy in my garage yesterday before it finally toppled forward, and it's kind of scary with a big bike like this! :eek:

I have a slightly different technique getting it on than what I saw on this site. I put it on the side stand, and then face the rear of the bike. I put my left foot on the centerstand, and push down on it, while pulling with my right hand on the grab point on the saddlebags. If you do it right and use a smooth motion, it works like a charm and takes very little effort.
Although the booklet sez NOT to sit on the bike with the centerstand (nor the sidestand) deployed, that's ed zachery what I do. No way am I gonna follow the booklets instructions - stand beside the bike and hold the handlebar grip with left hand; hold lifting handle with right hand; push the motorcycle forward off the stand! No sir - not me. I climb aboard and rock it forward with both feet on the ground.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Me too

I get on the bike to get it off the center stand, but my inseam is a 40 inch one so kinda Easy. :D

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
One thing I do is when I rock it forward to get it off the center stand is keep the front brake on to minimize it's rolling forward. I would never take it off the center stand not sitting on the bike.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to mention that I was indeed sitting on the bike. I am 5'11" but have a long torso and short little legs, I wear 36X30 pants so I don't have much room to spare at the lower end.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I scoot to the right side get a good footing and push the LT off the stand with just the right foot. I don't push it off hard so as it comes off the stand I move back normal riding position.

Takes some practice to become second nature but I don't even think about it, even fully loaded and with a passenger.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
gotta love the manual

I followed the manual exactly, standing next to the centerstand-set (would that be "centerstood?") bike, lowered the sidestand, then grabbing the left grip and left saddlebag handle rocked it forward, JUST LIKE THE MANUAL.

And I have the gouged chrome right side saddlebag guard and an angle-grind on the very bottom of the lower fairing to prove it.

I'm not sure how someone with an actual sense of humor slipped into BMW's employ, but they definitely got hired in the graphic arts and technical department.

Unless you can standing arm curl 835 pounds wet when the thing tips AWAY from you as you follow the manual, I urge you to follow what everyone else posted on this thread and do it ON THE BIKE. For safety's sake, I keep the bike off, but in first gear, clutch engaged (left lever in, in other words) and right fingers covering the front brake, when the bike rocks off the center stand, I go right to squeezing the front brake, and if necessary I could let go of the clutch lever to stop forward movement.

p

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,919 Posts
I can usually just rock it forward off the stand - no problem with my 30" inseam. But lately (since CCR) Jean has been riding more with me. Have found we must both lean back and on the count of one.. two.. three - it takes us both to whip it down off the center stand. The LT is a lot more fun now that she is riding more.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
This one I learned from watching Randy.
Put the bike in first gear, put the side stand down and rock the bike of the centerstand.
When it comes of, it stops rolling immediately, lean it onto the side stand and "saddle up"

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's the ticket, I need to teach the wife to push me off! :D

I went riding with a group from work on Saturday, about 10 bikes total, 8 Harleys, my Beemer and a Honda sportbike. One female rider on a Harley, her boyfriend rode the Honda. At one of our stops his battery died, she actually PUSH STARTED him, took about 30 yards before the bike caught. Wish I had the camera ready, it was a sight to see. What a woman! :histerica

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
petevandyke said:
I followed the manual exactly, standing next to the centerstand-set (would that be "centerstood?") bike, lowered the sidestand, then grabbing the left grip and left saddlebag handle rocked it forward, JUST LIKE THE MANUAL.

And I have the gouged chrome right side saddlebag guard and an angle-grind on the very bottom of the lower fairing to prove it.

I'm not sure how someone with an actual sense of humor slipped into BMW's employ, but they definitely got hired in the graphic arts and technical department.

Unless you can standing arm curl 835 pounds wet when the thing tips AWAY from you as you follow the manual, I urge you to follow what everyone else posted on this thread and do it ON THE BIKE. For safety's sake, I keep the bike off, but in first gear, clutch engaged (left lever in, in other words) and right fingers covering the front brake, when the bike rocks off the center stand, I go right to squeezing the front brake, and if necessary I could let go of the clutch lever to stop forward movement.

p
Yep. Tried it, watched it topple over on it's right side. Had the side stand extended, pulled in the clutch, pushed forward and the LT came off the center stand, bounced on the suspension, I presumed it impacted on the sidestand and promptly and gracefully flopped over on its right side. From then on, I either forget the center stand or only take the bike off the center stand when I'm astride the seat.

Curses, Foiled Again, Karl

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Didn't I read - manual, service manual, here (??) - that you should NOT use the side bag handle when going up on the center stand. OR lowering to the sidestand even? That's why they put that frame mounted handle just below the pax seat.

As far as going off the center stand to side stand, I stand next the bike, rock it forward - but leave the tranny in neutral (also has to be in N for me to get it ON the centerstand!). Never even came close to dropping either side that way. I'm a short one too 30" inseam.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
One of the few times my '99 assumed the prone position was when I tried rolling the bikeoff the centerstand while standing on the left side next to the bike. Prior to and subsequent to that event I always come off the center stand while sitting on the bike. In my garage I perform the manover in neutral with the engine off. If I'm out and about and in a parking area where the path forward and to both sides of my parking spot is clear my technique is somewhat different. I sit on the bike, feet on the pegs, engine running, trany in 1st gear. Rock forward and when both wheels are on the ground I ease out the clutch and ride away. Feet never touch the ground.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I agree,,,BUT

I've had several occasions when I couldn't get the bike off the center stand that way... On a slight uphill...Had to either have help or do it from the side...

One was recently at CCR. Mick had put some Mick-O-Pegs on the bike and I just couldn't get enough momentum to get if off the center stand while sitting on the bike...Luckily all I had to do was holler for some help and a couple of members were there in a flash... I have had to use the standing beside the bike method several times. You've really got to be careful when doing it that way.

I put both hands on the bars and pushed forward then immediately cranked the bars to the right to shift the center of gravity towards me...Side stand already deployed.....This seems to work ok but it is a little scary.....

John

·
Registered
193 Posts
different technique

I simply hop on the bike, fire her up and IMEDATLY red-line the bike. I scoot my butt on to the passenger seat, and put hit in 1st. Then I drop the clutch. BAM! Smoke and howling, she pops off the stand. I can usually get her slowed down and under control in about 15 feet or so. It always takes a few feet before I can get back into the front seat. At this point, I will start putting on my safety gear - eye protection. I have thought about maybe wearing something like shoes, but so far the clogs have not slipped off my feet while using this technique.

Legal disclaimer : Uh, if you are dumb enough to believe this, then you should probably NOT be riding a motorcycle in the first place. I am not sure if that really is much of a disclaimer, what I am trying to say is, don't believe anything that I just wrote above. :sleep:

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Mopos said:
I simply hop on the bike, fire her up and IMEDATLY red-line the bike. I scoot my butt on to the passenger seat, and put hit in 1st. Then I drop the clutch. BAM! Smoke and howling, she pops off the stand. I can usually get her slowed down and under control in about 15 feet or so. It always takes a few feet before I can get back into the front seat. At this point, I will start putting on my safety gear - eye protection. I have thought about maybe wearing something like shoes, but so far the clogs have not slipped off my feet while using this technique.
I would say very funny but I have done that when I was a teen on a Honda CB650 Custom, except I already had my safety tennis shoes on.!!!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
simoncharles said:
Just to make things clear, are we talking hydraulic centre-stand or normal ?.,
BOTH. The hydraulic centerstand only works hydraulically putting the bike ON the centerstand. They both have to be pushed off of it the same way.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Can't reach the ground sitting on the bike, so..

I make sure the side stand is down and the gear box is in 1st, then use the left handlebar grip and lifting handle to push her forward until she comes off the center stand. Its a piece of cake.

On the other hand, if I forget to put the side stand down, I have to hold her up while I put the stand down, and that is a little tricky. Also, if I forget to put her in 1st, she will try to just roll away on me, and that isn't fun, either.

Jeff

·
Registered
607 Posts
I just don't get it!

With all the reports of drops or near-drops when coming off the centerstand, I have to ask: Why does one use the foolish thing at all? I have to admit that I have NEVER used the centerstand for normal parking of the bike. I've always used the sidestand - it's just normal for me, as all my previous bikes only had sidestands. I will always try to park on a slight uphill, and if I can't, the bike gets shut off in first gear and I use engine compression to keep it from rolling forward off the stand.
I just had new tires installed this past Saturday at the dealer, and when I went to pick the bike up, it was parked on the centerstand. I had to ask the dealer tech to get if off the stand, since I had no idea how to do it, and didn't feel like laying it on it's side there in the parking lot.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts