BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

centerstand Maintenance

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  pozo_izquierdo 
#1 ·
I looked in the hall of wisdom and did a search on the forums, but nothing came up.

Today i went to place my 05LT on it's elec.centerstand and it started to drag half way up, then dropped off the stand. Tried it again, and nothing happend.. Press it again and it started dragging again.. I'm new to the LT's only had it for 6 months, but is there any maintenance i should do to it??? I looked in the Clymer book, but didn't find much ..

Any help would be great!!
Thanks in advance!!!! :bmw: :dance:

#3 ·
Jack, looks like you have a rebuild ahead of you to get clean oil in the unit and maybe a new motor (only $50)!... Set aside a weekend, and read this thread to prepare yourself.
It covers all the tears, fears and frustrations of doing the rebuild, but in the end its not really that hard once you've waded through it, and you'll be very glad you did it now instead of waiting till everything jams up too much.
You only need to remove RH lower panel, everything can be easily accessed with the bike on the centrestand. I wound up riding the rear wheel onto a 50mm thick (but 200mm wide) timber to get the stand down (with some help of the bike being held on both sides while pulling back and holding the stand down with my foot.) and the bike was very stable resting just on both wheels and the centre stand.
And once the panel is off, you only have about 5 bolts and a power plug to undo to get the EHCS unit out of the bike to pull apart (assuming you dont touch the centre stand bolts itself... which isn't necessary)
Both Ari & JoeGotteberg's instructions are invaluable.. read them carefully.
Happy to help with any other advice, having very recently done it myself.
A happy 05 stand user! click
cheers

#5 ·
Jack,

although a full rebuild of EHC unit is recommended especially at the age of your bike, you could still try some simpler things at first. Even I attacked the EHC unit trying to fix my intermittently working unit but the problem was actually elsewhere.

Make sure your clutch and hand brake lever micro switches work properly. I had a problem with my hand brake switch. It occasionally kept the brake light on even if I did not touch the brake and thus prevented the EHC from working. It is hard to notice if your brake lights are on by themselves, you need a helper or a dark night to detect that. ( I finally got fed up with my unreliable micro switch that I added a signal light in my dash that tells me when my brake lights are on, if the brake lights stay on I simply push the hand brake outwards or give it a small jerk and this works.)

In the clutch lever there is also a micro swicth for disconnecting the cruise control and if this is activated you will get the same result. (Of course you would notice the malfuntion of this switch from your cruise not behaving normally.)

So check these before you start tearing your EHC unit apart athough changing the hydraulic oil should be well due by now...

Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.