BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone can help a new-b out ??

I just bought my 1200LT and man i love it.
I do need help with the center stand though.
Mine is a 2002 and i have no clue how to operate it.
It is the BC button on the right hand grip ??

Also, my brake failure light is blinking and from what i have read there seems to be alot of that going on around here...

Im glad i joined this site and very much looking forward to chatting with everyone ..

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
G'day!

No electric centrestand until the 2005 model (build date 2004 on), so yours will be manual lift.
The guys with pre '04 bikes will chime in for sure with the best methods to use it.. bit of an art, which I learned on my K75RT but have thankfully let fade from mind.. ;)

there's a start... & welcome :bmw:

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Welcome to the zoo....

Lots of great advise on how to raise that big fat pig with a search. Many times when I ask a question, the answer will be directly below in the Similar Section.

Raising the bike is about 75% technique and the other 25% weight. Your K1200LT has several brake reserve tanks and there are two behind and under the main seat. The right side bag must be open to see the level markings. Being low just a little will cause the lights to flicker.

Did you get a manual, actually several with the bike? If not, there might be a PDF available with lots of answers too.

·
Registered
528 Posts
David, welcome to the asylum. The 2002 model has a manual center stand like Chris said, it just takes a little finesse to use. The button marked BC lets you toggle thru the on board computer on the left side of the dash, temp., MPG, ave speed, and miles till empty.
As for the blinking brake failure light it could be several things. 1. this bike does a self check of the brakes at start-up, both will flash at first then only failure lite till you drive a few feet. 2. A low battery will also cause the flashing lite. So make sure your battery is up to par. Lastly you just maybe low brake fluid in the rear reservoirs (there are two ) located on the right rear side of the bike, behind the body panel just ahead of the side case by the pillion foot rest.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks alot everyone,.. very helpful..
I will look for and check all of the reserves to correct the "brake failure" light issue and as for the centrer stand i guess this will be a technique that i will just have to get down :dance:

you guys are awesome..

·
Registered
795 Posts
Don't let me get started on a tear about the ABS, I know BMW makes a big deal about how all their bikes have it, but if they can't figure out how to make it work then why bother, but I digress...

As for the CS, I have an '00 with no power stand, #1 thing is put the bike in neutral for using the center stand (but always in 1st if you are only going to use the side stand). #2, when you park don't park on a surface that is very far from level as that will complicate the whole process.

I park and lean my bike over on the side stand to dismount, then I face the side of the bike with my right hand on the black handle under the seat, left on the left handgrip, left foot solidly on the ground and put my right foot on the CS foot thingie. I lower the center stand while at the same time lifting the bike off the side stand to level. Accomplish this by 'feeling' when both sides of the CS have made contact with the earth while holding the bike upright. Note that the first couple times you do it it will feel like you are leaning the bike farther than you should, but there is a point when you get it straight up that the big beast seems to loose about 400 lbs, that's the sweet spot when you know you are ready to hoist it up in the stand. At that point starts the fluid motion that is the technique: I ever so slightly start rolling the bike backwards and step off my left foot transferring all my weight to the center stand peg and lifting up on my right hand and just as the weight is off that front tire I turn the left hand to lock position for the bars and voilà - Up she goes and people in parking lots look at me like I am some sort of hercules!

That is the technique, the art is getting the perfect lift which is what I strive for every time now. The perfect lift as I define it is one that you look like you aren't struggling, and when the bike comes up to rest on the center stand it just settles to a stop on the stand smoothly with no clunk or jerkiness.

Wearing a full-face helmet helps hide the facial expressions you might make in this process - just a tip, no charge :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am a newbie, but was told by the p o of mine that at about 30,000 miles the springs sag lowering the bike, making lifting the bike on the centerstand a lot harder. I have a sidecar, so no real world experience here. I do need the hyper-pro springs, tho. Tim

·
Registered
683 Posts
Just an FYI, when I got my bike, I didn't know that the little tab in the top of the trunk lid with the nut showing was actually the vanity mirror, and a compartment with all the little manuals in it, a few times I tried turning the nut, thinking something was bolted there, it was almost by accident I was turning the nut, and tried pulling the tab, DUH, it is magnetic, and the nut is holding the magnet on...I found the manuals, paper oil fill funnels, the wire for the helmet lock, and registration paper from the PO....quite the little stash....Check it out if you haven't already found it......I just figured that if your PO didn''t show you what the BC button was, they probably didn't show you that either....
Welcome to the Forum...Remember, the only dumb questions are the ones I ask.... :histerica

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.