BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How DO you get your K12LT on the center stand when your rear tire is flat???

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
bulletbill said:
(1) Buy an '05 and hope the trick power centerstand hasn't crapped out yet; (2) get help.

- Bob

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I don't think it can be done without help. I had a flat rear one day when I was at work, fortunately someone else was coming out when I had pushed the bike off the centerstand and discovered the rear was flat. He held the bike upright while I got off, then with him lifting on the right side bag handle, and me on the left, it went up rather well. No way I could have done it alone though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Have had to do that a few times in different situations and terrains. Usually happens when your traveling and you got the beast loaded. I would suggest unloading as much weight off the bike before any attempt to put it on the centerstand. After that it just takes a bit more muscle to get the bike upright on the centerstand. Good Luck! Attempt this why your still young. The older I get the more difficult it will be to centerstand from a flat tire. Of course riding two up it would be no problem with the added help from your co-pilot. I'm wondering if I trade my 02 for an 05 if the power center stand can overcome the flat tire.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Try to roll it up on a block of wood. Preferably a 2x6, This may give you enough lift to work the center stand.

Pete

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Yup, Roll ontop of a piece of wood, Works SLICK !
murray said:
Try to roll it up on a block of wood. Preferably a 2x6, This may give you enough lift to work the center stand.

Pete

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Problem I had with that is that once I had it off the centerstand, it would just barely sit on the sidestand without falling to the right. Just a little breeze would have blown it over. Remember, when you have the problem you are not likely to be in the best place for it. Likely in a parking lot, or on the side of the road, with no lumber readily available. :D Not many of us carry a piece of 2X4 in the saddle bag.

I thought about anything I could have done if help had not been available. The only solution I could come up with was to ride it slowly to a spot where it would sit on the side stand without falling over, then try to find help or something to put under the rear wheel to ride up on.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
A trick I've seen done on on other bikes - one I've used on my old GS-1000.

Side stand parked, push the bike up on the side stand - almost like you're trying to roll 'er on 'er left side. Idea is to use the leverage of the bike on the side-stand to get the rear off the ground.

Some one else pushes whatever is available - rock, lumber, jackets, thermos bottles, etc under the rear. When you let it down - it's higher - easier to get up on center stand.

Yea, another 2 person solution - usually. But if you plan ahead and are lucky, you can 'lift' the bike up on the side stand and then with a toe, shove that pallet you found in the ditch under the rear.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just found a convenient rock, positioned it in front of rear tire and drove the bike up on it. Worked great, mostly because I had enough angle for it to stay in place on the side stand whilst hunting up a rock of the appropriate size and shape. We've got lots of rocks in AZ, unfortunately most of them drive cars.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Wood ... A Great idea !

Quote: Not many of us carry a piece of 2X4

:p Well .. maybe you should .. Or at least 2 pieces of 1X4

I keep just that .. 2 @ 4" pieces of 1X4 ~~~ For the use on soft parking lots, parking in gravel and such.

1 stays in the left jacket pocket and gets used quite a bit, the other in the trunk. Stacked together :p a 2X4 ... Add another, a 2X6

** But then Wilbers do set the bike a tad higher requiring such an aid to keep bike from leaning so far on side stand.

Scott

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, roll the back tire up on a 2x6 first. It's easy, cheap and it gives you enough extra height to get the bike up on the center stand. If you think it's still too low then step a couple 2x6's to increase the height. That's how I get my wife's low cruiser up high enough to get a lift under it.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I had a flat on the Alaska Highway last year. I hooked up my little 12v air compressor and inflated the tire to a point I could heft it up on the centerstand. David is right though, when the rear is low the beast is pretty precarious on the sidestand.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
12v compressor

jkersh1 said:
I had a flat on the Alaska Highway last year. I hooked up my little 12v air compressor and inflated the tire to a point I could heft it up on the centerstand. David is right though, when the rear is low the beast is pretty precarious on the sidestand.
How long did it take for the small compressor to bring the tire up? I tried that and after five minutes I had not gotten anywhere?? Maybe I need another 12v compressor? Got mine at Wal Mart "Bell Bicycle unit".

Also I wanted to thank everyone that has replied, got some good ideas..

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
bulletbill said:
How long did it take for the small compressor to bring the tire up? I tried that and after five minutes I had not gotten anywhere?? Maybe I need another 12v compressor? Got mine at Wal Mart "Bell Bicycle unit".

Also I wanted to thank everyone that has replied, got some good ideas..
FWIW, my little Thomas pump under the trunk takes almost exactly 10 min. to go from 0 to 48 psi (in a rear tire with no holes :))

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I don't realy know. I generally only use it, a stripped down Wally World special, to top off the tires. At the time I was 150 miles from Fairbanks, had plenty of time, and wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. The leak was a stone cut that wasn't very fast.

·
Registered
191 Posts
bulletbill said:
Stand on the left side. Hold the left handlebar in your left hand, grasp the handle beneath the left side of the front seat with your right hand, depress the centerstand with your left foot, level the bike on both center stand feet, pull up and back while shouting AARRRRRRGGGGHHH!!!!

That technique, liberal amounts of a Motrin/aspirin/Tylenol cocktail washed down with 3 fingers of The Glenlivet (a tonic for the back) ... usually works for me.

·
Registered
440 Posts
motorhead said:
Quote: Not many of us carry a piece of 2X4

:p Well .. maybe you should .. Or at least 2 pieces of 1X4

I keep just that .. 2 @ 4" pieces of 1X4 ~~~ For the use on soft parking lots, parking in gravel and such.

1 stays in the left jacket pocket and gets used quite a bit, the other in the trunk. Stacked together :p a 2X4 ... Add another, a 2X6

** But then Wilbers do set the bike a tad higher requiring such an aid to keep bike from leaning so far on side stand.

Scott
Let's see. two pieces of 1X4 make a 2X4. Yep. Three pieces of 1X4 make a 2X6? Wouldn't that be a 4X6?

·
Registered
204 Posts
BEhrler said:
Let's see. two pieces of 1X4 make a 2X4. Yep. Three pieces of 1X4 make a 2X6? Wouldn't that be a 4X6?
Nope, 3 pieces of 1x4 would be a 3x4 where I come from.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts