BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - I always check air pressure before riding. Well, this time when I went to garage to check air pressure I started on front tire and noticed that it was really hard to rotate tire for valve stem location. Then went to back tire and it was sitting hard on the concrete and could not budge it. I rode it a week ago and everything was fine. I am parking it in the same location on level concrete floor that I always park at. I did replace the adjuster under the seat and noticed that the valve was not working like it should, checked and filled with hydraulic fluid and still no luck. I am now thinking that my shock might be broken. The bike rides and handles good but appears to be floating (Sort of like a 60 Cadillac- sorry best description I could come up with). Any suggestions

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
put a piece of 2" wood on the floor and reverse onto it you then should be able to deploy the centre stand, sounds like you still have problems with the adjuster but the shock is easy enough to check, you do have the correct rear tyre fitted yes?

re read I assumed it was not on the centre stand,

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
put a piece of 2" wood on the floor and reverse onto it you then should be able to deploy the centre stand, sounds like you still have problems with the adjuster but the shock is easy enough to check, you do have the correct rear tyre fitted yes?

re read I assumed it was not on the centre stand,
It is on the center stand. Yes I have the correct rear tire and it has been doing fine with the same set up parked in same spot in garage. The LT is 2002 with 28K.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,922 Posts
Look very closely at the center stand where the welds are there may be one broken. It is not unheard of.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Notahog,

Going to "chime in" here as I assisted you in the diagnosis.

I rode behind Notahog for about 30-35 miles while watching his bike handle the bumps and such versus what I was feeling (on my 2002 LT with Ohlins), his seemed to be much more dramatic, which led me to believe the shock is broken.

Put bike on center stand, both wheels firmly touching ground, when he was sitting on the bike (with center stand stowed for riding) it was "sagging" substantially more than what he had experienced previously, (in other words, his knees have more bend than before, the bike is lower to the ground).

I hope anyone with experience on suspensions will chime in and help Notahog diagnose this issue.

By the way, the center stand is solid as a rock, no broken welds, cannot "wiggle" the bike side to side while on center stand.

Hope this helps clear things up for everyone viewing thread, we need your help!

·
Registered
438 Posts
This sounds to me like you've got an internal shock failure. (A separation of components).
I've not heard of this before, but that sounds to me like what's going on. You probably should stop riding until you've got it figured out.

Any chance that you're using Hyper Pro suspension? Or some other after market brand?

In any case, I suggest that you remove the rear shock & see what's going on.
Maybe Boots has a spare that you can borrow.
PHP:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This sounds to me like you've got an internal shock failure. (A separation of components).
I've not heard of this before, but that sounds to me like what's going on. You probably should stop riding until you've got it figured out.

Any chance that you're using Hyper Pro suspension? Or some other after market brand?

In any case, I suggest that you remove the rear shock & see what's going on.
Maybe Boots has a spare that you can borrow.
PHP:
I will let Boots tell you about the spare, which there is one with a story. Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Notahog's rear shock is a stock BMW OEM shock that was originally installed on my 2002 LT at 35K miles under warranty replacement.

I then put Ohlins on my bike at 39K miles, putting the OEM shock on the shelf as a spare.

We replaced his original with my spare back July this year just because we could. So his current shock only has approx. 7K miles on it now.

The one we are going to replace the current shock with happens to be his original shock with approx. 24K miles.

So go figure...

This is a major "do over"!

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
I does sound like a complete shock failure to me. I had a similar thing happen on my K1600 at about 25K miles. My bike sat about 3/4 of an inch lower then a friends K1600 with about the same milage. The dealer looked at it but said it was not a warranty item as the shock was not leaking. I found a good used one online with only 700 miles on it for under $300 shipped. New was about $2500 :surprise:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I does sound like a complete shock failure to me. I had a similar thing happen on my K1600 at about 25K miles. My bike sat about 3/4 of an inch lower then a friends K1600 with about the same milage. The dealer looked at it but said it was not a warranty item as the shock was not leaking. I found a good used one online with only 700 miles on it for under $300 shipped. New was about $2500 :surprise:
Stevie, if a dealer told me that I would be sounding like Donald Duck on a bad day.

Robert

·
Registered
31 Posts
1) Have you checked the lobes at the top of the centre stand for wear? Does the stand sit further forward when deployed?

2) I take it that your brake torque arm is standard and non adjustable? If adjustable increase its length.

3) Is the front suspension in good order, not dropped in the yolks?

4) For the rear suspension to drop, the damper piston rod has too become detached internally from the shock itself. This maybe why you get the floating feeling and the rear end to sag. The adjuster for the shock absorber only increases the firmness of the spring by adding compression to it. So unless the damper rod is broken the shock absorber can't increase in length at all and dropping the rear swinging arm down.

Just my 2 C's worth, personally I think 1 is the answer

Kind regards

·
Registered
87 Posts
Shock was not broken, but the bottom U clamp (see pics) had become un-attached. Inspection of the threads were the U-clamp and the shock piston rod attach revealed only two threads were holding that piece onto the rod. After inspecting the other shock the rod has one thread showing outside of the connection, all threads engaged in the u-clamp.

The shock in question was a new OEM warranty replacement, and no we did not inspect the u-clamp and the threads attaching it to the rod before we installed shock (will next time though).

Notahog has since ridden home and is more than likely riding out to dinner with his usual crew, I can't make it as my HVAC system is being installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Pretty cool that it didn't cost anything but time to fix it!:thumb:

Mark:bmw:

·
Registered
285 Posts
You are very lucky to find this before the nut came off completely. If it had the rear suspension would have collapsed completely. I bought a salvage bike that had this problem, they told me the rider did not survive.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You are very lucky to find this before the nut came off completely. If it had the rear suspension would have collapsed completely. I bought a salvage bike that had this problem, they told me the rider did not survive.
I know that I was very lucky not to have serious problems while on the road. What disturbs me is that this shock had only about 7k miles on it. The way the threads look it is very obvious that only 1 or 2 threads were holding the shock. This surely was a manufacturing error and should be looked into by BMW but good luck with that. Just ride safely and enjoy each day. Thanks to Boots for helping me take off and reinstall my orginal shock, I also appreciate everyone that gave their advice on the issue. Like one of my riding buddies reminded me that it is good that I check my tires and air pressure before each ride which allowed me to realize that the center stand was not lifting the rear tire off the concrete.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
not necessarily a manufacturing error, the guy I used to change out my spring could get the top apart as per the manual, he heated up and screwed the bottom U clamp and removed the spring in reverse replacing it with a hyper pro spring, so it is possible I guess that it has been removed before, but not locktighted back on maybe.
mmmmm I should recheck mine.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
not necessarily a manufacturing error, the guy I used to change out my spring could get the top apart as per the manual, he heated up and screwed the bottom U clamp and removed the spring in reverse replacing it with a hyper pro spring, so it is possible I guess that it has been removed before, but not locktighted back on maybe.
mmmmm I should recheck mine.
Boots had the BMW shop replace his shock with this (new OEM) shock. Boots removed this shock 4k miles later and replaced with Ohlins. This shock then sat in a box until I rode into the sunset and while we were installing Stainless brake lines on my bike he said while we have everything off we should install this stock shock that I have with only 4K miles on it. So we know the history of this shock and the U bolt has never been off. By the looks of the U bolt and the shock end it appears that only one or two threads were holding this shock. So after only 8K miles the stock U bolt became loose which on a OEM shock that has never been adjusted in any way seems impossible but it happened. The only thing I can say is that Boots and I are very lucky and blessed that it did not have a very bad ending with his or my bike while using this shock.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
ok then well that's a great result, glad you found it early it's a timely reminder to check the entire bike and not just the tyres..:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts