BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 lt, and a guy I know converted his 2005 lt to a trike and no longer needs the hydraulic center stand. Is it possible to retrofit the stand to mine? Are the bolt patterns the same? What kind of a switch will I need to activate to activate it?

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
It has been done, take a look at the links below this post for more information. Your challenge will be to intergrate the electronics, the factory install has safety features that are not easy to duplicate in the older models.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I agree the electronics will be a little complicated. They basically ensure you don't have the brake on, in gear, etc.

You could also wire a push-on spring close, starter type switch and you have to be sure you have everything safe. The DC motor is a starter motor, so you'll need a relay.

Do a search, you'll find some to look at.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
It has been done, take a look at the links below this post for more information. Your challenge will be to intergrate the electronics, the factory install has safety features that are not easy to duplicate in the older models.
In case you are still looking, I found a link to one that has been done. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17521 This may be the only way to do it without major changes to get the saftey features the factory included.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I did one on my bike. Ended up with a push button starter switch under the lift bar on left of bike. Love it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I bought it after my dealer said they contacted BMW to confirm it could be done and would be safe. I booked it in and they then told me they refuse to do it for safety reasons. Not impressed. Also turned out that the pushrod has a slight bend in it. Can this be straghtened safely and enough to be usable? Can it be replaced without replacing the whole unit?
The guy I got it from said he would take it back if it didn't work out, so I tried and he wouldn't return my calls or emails. Fortunately, I know where he lives and I have several cans of spray paint in my garage that I need to get rid of. If you're reading this, A-hole....

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,919 Posts
Any good machine shop should be able to straighten the rod if the plating has not been damaged. You would have to dissassemble the unit but it could be done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts