BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 LT with 36K. Bike had sat for two weeks, during that time I also ran a compressor off the bike for about 10 minutes. Never put a charger on battery or started bike. Took the bike to work today, it started fine. Rode the 30 miles to work with heated grips on and Gerbnings jacket liner on (it was 32 degrees this morning) and radio blaring. Pulled into my spot, hit center stand button, no joy. Just a blinking light, no motor noise at all. Double checked everything - brake lever, reverse switch, etc. Tried a few more times, still no joy. Sometimes the light would blink slow, sometimes fast. Engine was running at this time.

Went back out to bike at lunch time, had warmed up to about 55. Tried again without engine running, no joy. Started bike, still nothing, Checked voltage at motor connector, 11.7 volts.

I figure I will pull the motor when I get home to check the brush ground. So I rode the 30 miles home, and just for grins hit the button - center stand works :confused: I try a few more times, it works. Stop and start engine, still works.

So all this just so I can ask, is it possible the battery was still too low for the motor to work this morning? I don't think the temperature had anything to do with it as I have used it when it was in the upper teens and low twenties.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I also have an 06 1200lt I just bought and after only two rides, had the same issue. Mine had 14,500 miles. I have only taken out the bike two times and followed directions in manual and also have no leaks. My dash only shows rapid flashes. I am hoping I also have the same luck.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
With voltage at the plug it certainly is the brush ground. After my third warranty failure I replace both screws w proper sized ss screws & washers & anti ox paste. Just 2 screws& one plug to pull the motor.
This is VERY easy to repair EXCEPT for getting the shaft back in without damaging the brushes. (brushes are in front shaft area of mtr)
Follow the tips in the forum search and take your time.
I took my brand new warranty motor apart to change the steel screws that corrode and have a spare repaired motor for sale/ swap if you get stumped.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,097 Posts
hctg915 said:
I also have an 06 1200lt I just bought and after only two rides, had the same issue. Mine had 14,500 miles. I have only taken out the bike two times and followed directions in manual and also have no leaks. My dash only shows rapid flashes. I am hoping I also have the same luck.
No brakes applied, in neutral and side stand up. Failure to meet this critieria and she won't work. Also the battery voltage must be above 12 volts or you get the lightning bolt as well.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jzeiler said:
No brakes applied, in neutral and side stand up. Failure to meet this critieria and she won't work. Also the battery voltage must be above 12 volts or you get the lightning bolt as well.

Thanks John, this is what I wanted to hear. I only had a voltage of 11.7 volts when it wasn't working, By the time I got home, i am assuming the battery had charged up enough for it to work.

I am still going pull the motor and clean it, and flush the actuator.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Have you resolved problem. I called the dealer 200 miles away and he confirmed that if centerstand does not work, all they do is replace it. I may attempt to take apart and clean it. I am a bit concerned on weather I can do this. However, if dealer can only replace unit, guess I don't have much to worry about in the event I cannot put back together. Any other suggestions?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,097 Posts
Check out Joe's article Center Stand

Also Ari from Finland has a picsa web site with more details on the motor.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
jzeiler said:
Check out Joe's article Center Stand

Also Ari from Finland has a picsa web site with more details on the motor.
That is a great link John, EXCEPT it has no actual internal motor dissasembly info. regarding the brushes etc.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hctg915 said:
Have you resolved problem. I called the dealer 200 miles away and he confirmed that if centerstand does not work, all they do is replace it. I may attempt to take apart and clean it. I am a bit concerned on weather I can do this. However, if dealer can only replace unit, guess I don't have much to worry about in the event I cannot put back together. Any other suggestions?
Mine works for right now. Looks like I had low battery voltage. But I think I will replace the motor, then clean my old one to keep as a spare.

Buy new motor here: http://emsglobaldirect.com/p-820-hs-50n.aspx

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,097 Posts
SmokinJoe said:
That is a great link John, EXCEPT it has no actual internal motor dissasembly info. regarding the brushes etc.
Right but if I could find Ari's post it does have the internals on the motor. I'll have to dig for it.

Try this link Ari's rebuild

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wondered if someone can give me a hand on thus? I took apart centerstand to include disasembling shaft and piston. It appears seals on piston are damaged. Two questions, where can I quicly get replacement seals, and is there a trick to putting piston back into cylinder without damaging seals on piston? Please send me an email. Really appreciate any help I can get.

Hector

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
hctg915 said:
Wondered if someone can give me a hand on thus? I took apart centerstand to include disasembling shaft and piston. It appears seals on piston are damaged. Two questions, where can I quicly get replacement seals, and is there a trick to putting piston back into cylinder without damaging seals on piston? Please send me an email. Really appreciate any help I can get.

Hector

[email protected]
follow Joh's links in post #7 & # 10 above,

·
Registered
63 Posts
I went back to see joes article. Although he shows pics of piston, canister, and seals, there is no mention of how to replace seals and place back in canister without damaging seals.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,097 Posts
The piston seals are a hard plastic so I don't know how you damaged them. Most have never replaced them as the seals on the shaft are the ones that leak. Don't remember ever seeing a source for the piston seals.

When I did mine I just slid it into the tube. Easier to put the piston in the tube then slide the installed assy (tube and piston) onto the frame and spring.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not sure if we aretalking about same seals. One of the seals is "skived", while the second one is covering two o rings. While placing/shoving piston into canister, the seal with the o rings wants to come off. I tried to shove piston in while trying to also hold seal in at same time. I know I must be doing something wrong..

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,097 Posts
I never had an issue with the piston. If you want to box it up and send it to me I would be happy to try and finish it off for you.

It is too bad this didn't happen in Jan through March as I was stuck out there testing equipment and would have loved to help out as a diversion. But I am afraid I won't be back out that way for some time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks. I do appreciate the offer. I am going to tinker with it later in week. I may still call on you if you don't mind, in the event it all does not work once I put everything back together. Keep me in mind if you do come out this way (El Paso, Texas).

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right after my last post saying my stand worked again, it quit again.

I pulled the motor out, took it apart. cleaned it up, put it all back, and it still didn't work. I hooked the motor up directly to a new battery I was about to put in the wifes bike, and nothing.Put the bike away, for grins I tried it again, and it worked, once. Then it worked for about half the cycle and quit. Didn't work again.

Today I installed the new motor. I have cycled it about six times, and so far works fine. I am thinking the motor was bad.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
living_free said:
Right after my last post saying my stand worked again, it quit again.

I pulled the motor out, took it apart. cleaned it up, put it all back, and it still didn't work. I hooked the motor up directly to a new battery I was about to put in the wifes bike, and nothing.Put the bike away, for grins I tried it again, and it worked, once. Then it worked for about half the cycle and quit. Didn't work again.

Today I installed the new motor. I have cycled it about six times, and so far works fine. I am thinking the motor was bad.
That is what I suspected, I doubt it was the winding, likely the brush. Take the old motor to a motor shop & they will repair or send it to me & I'll give it a shot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts