BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have others had failure of the electro-hydraulic center stand. I have been through 2 of them so far. The first one went at around 25,000 and the second one at 62,000. I place the bike on centerstand as often as possible and most times am 2 up with bags and trunk loaded.

I did notice that the new one that was recently put on does seem to have a different sound than the previous 2 so don't know if there have been some changes in the replacement part.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I don't own an '05 . . . but I can assure that many failures have been reported. I sure hope in the future, BMW will reconsider and make that 'feature' optional. I like my manual centerstand. Or, make the manual one an option...either way works for me.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Can't "stand" it.

My HCS failed. Dealer replaced after 2 week wait for part. Seems it's built in Italy.. similar to us Texas guys getting a part supplied from N.O. .

Mine didn't "quit".. it started losing fluid.

How did yours "fail"?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
No problem yet.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the first one lost fluid - happened in the middle of vacation so any signs would have been gone by the time I had it replaced. The second one would just pick the bike up part way and then drop it back down - if it ran at all - it also sound like it was working extremely hard.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Maual says...

I use mine every time I park it. The owners manual says to let the bike lift itself, while you keep most of your weight off it. Maybe having a passenger is just to much for the hydraulics.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Mine blew a seal and was puking oil at the 600 mile service. I have just over 10,000 on the bike now and no further issues.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I purchased bike was told it should be fine with passenger but again did not see that listed in the manual. I do balance the bike between my legs with my weight off the bike as I want to be ready in the event it drops back down, as it has done with the failures and also is supposed to do if the ground is to uneven and the bike starts leaning to much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Manual Center Stand Failure

My manually operated center stand failed twice.
Both times it broke at or very close to the left
side weld of the cross bar.

First time I thought it had to be a bad weld,
since the second failure I've been careful to be
gentle when putting my bike on the stand or removing it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Used often since Sept 04 and still going strong with 12,500 miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts