BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 05lt off my center stand drove 30 miles or so and then went to activate the center sand and no noise not a sound just the light on the dash. I figured lose wire or some such thing so drove home put in natural side stand up level ground and tryed again with no luck also no clicking or hum or noise of any kind just the dash light. I looked at the c/s from under and around the bike and all wires seem to be in place.. So what do you think my next step should be.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,785 Posts
If the light is flashing on of the interlocks is set ( brakes off, in neutral, side stand up). If it is not flashing then the relay behind the battery is suspect. Or the motor itself has crapped out (not unusual but they usually slow down before they stop altogether). Unplug the connector and have a friend hold a test light or meter on the bike side and activate the button. If you get no light or indication proceed to the relay.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the c/s button on I have power all the way to the c/s motor but no activation so I guess that means a new motor ??

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,785 Posts
Sounds like it. Find one Here . Easy to install.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
jzeiler said:
If the light is flashing on of the interlocks is set ( brakes off, in neutral, side stand up). If it is not flashing then the relay behind the battery is suspect. Or the motor itself has crapped out (not unusual but they usually slow down before they stop altogether). Unplug the connector and have a friend hold a test light or meter on the bike side and activate the button. If you get no light or indication proceed to the relay.
The first step is to disconnect the power plug to the CS motor and hook up a vom and press the cs button. If you get 12 vdc then the motor brushes are most likely the culprets. Please search center stand for many repair posts. I fixed two of mine at the neg. brush.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya the motor is bad so as per your web help john I ordered a new one so when it gets in I'll rebuild the center stand with "Pozo's" awesome step by step with pic's instructions. You guy's are the best thanks from all of us nurds that don't know what we are a doing.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Take it from a guy who just replaced his clutch, albeit puckered from start to finish... You can do more on the LT than you may think you can. You just have to take it a step at a time, be open minded to going back to check and re-check, and not be too proud to ask for help if you are feeling unsure.

The community here is a great resource, not only for technical expertise and experience, but also for fellowship and fun. Glad you found us.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,785 Posts
Bajasteve said:
Ya the motor is bad so as per your web help john I ordered a new one so when it gets in I'll rebuild the center stand with "Pozo's" awesome step by step with pic's instructions. You guy's are the best thanks from all of us nurds that don't know what we are a doing.
Ari is great but do yourself a favor and don't take the pump motor apart - not necessary. Also clean everything spotless and lighty oil the o-rings and put it all back together. Just snug up the nuts on the cylinder. If you over tighten the housing will break. Put in no more than 135 ml of oil. Get a syringe from Tractor Supply. All the filling (and most of the draining) can be done through the 19 mm bolt port at the base, don't even mess with the 5mm plugs. Trust me I have done a bunch of these.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John like you suggested I rebuilt changed out a few O rings and re-greased everything being ooooo so careful to only put in 135 ml of jack oil in the C/S Lift. I also put on the new lift motor but left the pump alone. Then drove up to the local Harley dealer where a bunch of folks were standing around looking at their cool bikes. Yep I did it I parked my bike where all could see, off course with my back to them and pushed the magic button and up she came sweet and sure just like new and just like that I had people standing at my side wanting to Jaw. For all that have done it you know what I mean! how sweet it is! again thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
Bajasteve said:
John like you suggested I rebuilt changed out a few O rings and re-greased everything being ooooo so careful to only put in 135 ml of jack oil in the C/S Lift. I also put on the new lift motor but left the pump alone. Then drove up to the local Harley dealer where a bunch of folks were standing around looking at their cool bikes. Yep I did it I parked my bike where all could see, off course with my back to them and pushed the magic button and up she came sweet and sure just like new and just like that I had people standing at my side wanting to Jaw. For all that have done it you know what I mean! how sweet it is! again thank you all for your help.
Hey, Steve - congrats on gittin'-r-done. Question for ya (off topic a bit) - when you say local HD shop, you talkin' Seneca-local, or the one up near Joplin just south of I-44 off Hearnes Blvd? The one that you prolly pass by Richardson's Candy shop on the way? Nice shop (HD AND Richardson's!!) - lady owner when I visited and she kept a clean place, inside and out, with friendly folks on staff. Just curious if there is another HD shop closer to Seneca (Neosho maybe) or is that the one. TIA.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dick said:
Hey, Steve - congrats on gittin'-r-done. Question for ya (off topic a bit) - when you say local HD shop, you talkin' Seneca-local, or the one up near Joplin just south of I-44 off Hearnes Blvd? The one that you prolly pass by Richardson's Candy shop on the way? Nice shop (HD AND Richardson's!!) - lady owner when I visited and she kept a clean place, inside and out, with friendly folks on staff. Just curious if there is another HD shop closer to Seneca (Neosho maybe) or is that the one. TIA.
As I recall your a neosho home boy and know your way around here. In Seneca it still a one horse town with no M/C shop of any kind. Your right the shop I went to is in Joplin just south of Hwy 44 a block or two, and it is as your say spick and span and they are good to me when I ride in with that big gold Lt. Good folks I say.
Dick do you ever get up this way and if so please give me hoot! You helped me out before and elephants and I do not forget!
Steve

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Thanks, as usual to jzeiler, for the diagnostic I don't believe I have seen before: Unplug the connector and have a friend hold a test light or meter on the bike side and activate the button. If you get a light, motor is bad. If you get no light or indication proceed to the relay.

My stand worked for a while, then it quit, worked some more but it finally gave up and I just use the side stand. Had the bike in for a new front tire today so I asked Terrys2Wheel to check it - found the motor is bad. They verified by putting 12v to the motor itself - nothing.

Makes working on it tough if you can't center it. Maybe we can get a group buy on honda scooter starter motors? =-}

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
alabrew said:
Makes working on it tough if you can't center it.
You can still get it up on the centre stand, just need one person each side to steady it and pull back while you hold the CS feet down with your foot so it "bites" as you pull back. Even easier if you ride it up on some 250mm x 50mm timber blocks first.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Just thinking out loud here... Anyone ever weld on a "handle" (like on manual EHCS) to engage stand when motor/pump/whatever is inop?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts