BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the center stand was cut off my 1999 k1200LT before I got it.

Time and time again this has turned out to be a nuisance of epic proportions. What's my best bet with finding a replacement?

I read a few threads about retrofitting with the electric one, but I would be extremely happy to find just a stock stand. Anyone update their stand and want to sell their old one sitting in their shop?

I tried to put this is the classified section but don't have the proper permissions.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
500 Posts
Reactions: beech

·
Registered
500 Posts
This one is complete and cheap

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
45$ for over 500 worth of parts, no brainer.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
45$ for over 500 worth of parts, no brainer.
You mean $45 for $150 worth of parts that BMW charges $500 for.
:grin:

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I know, yeah, expensive, but the same problem happens at the Honda shop. Parts for BMW's have taken a serious jump since last fall if you go through the parts lists. I now plan to order expensive stuff from Germany and just pay the shipping and duty, still will save a bit. But I do have a collection of EBay spares on the shelf.
So let us know when you get your center stand back on line. It will really make a big difference to whomever changes your tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot for the advice. I will check out eBay. It was on a tire change that not having it caused the most problems. Just checking the oil is a pain. It looks like the mounts are there so shouldn't be too hard. The hardest part will be getting up under it to work on the stand.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Thanks a lot for the advice. I will check out eBay. It was on a tire change that not having it caused the most problems. Just checking the oil is a pain. It looks like the mounts are there so shouldn't be too hard. The hardest part will be getting up under it to work on the stand.

I can't imagine an LT with no centerstand. What a pain! I also can't imagine someone stupid enough to remove an LT centerstand. You should track him down, bury him in the ground to is neck beside a fire and hill and coat his lips with honey.
>:)

Reactions: nikosK1200LT

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
The hardest part will be getting up under it to work on the stand.
You can mount the center stand with it on the side stand, as I did when my EHCS was not working. I could get it on the CS manually with difficulty to change the tire, can't imagine how you would change it without a stand.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I have improvised on bikes with no center stand. Not for wheel removal but desire to have it vertical to check things out. 4 ropes tied to strong points on the bike and attached to ceiling points in the carport. Staying vertical does not require 1000 pound test rope. A good 3/8 or 1/2 will do fine. As long as you can tie decent knots. A thought.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The only reason I can see an LT owner removing the center stand is if he got tired of scraping it in the turns, particularly if he was riding two-up. He should have replaced the springs on the suspension to get a better ride.

Maritimer, if you are located in the Canadian Maritimes, I may be able to sell you my old one, deliver it and lend you the rear wheel stand that I built when I put in the EHCS five years ago. I'll be traveling there at the end of August and coming back in September so that would give you some time to install it. Email me and we will find a price that suits us both.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I purchased the one on EBAY.. Other that the normal about of dirt. It is in perfect condition. Why they had that copper tube on the side stand peg, i do not know. I pulled it off and it is the same as the one on my bike. I will rebuild this one and grease the pivots.. Then on my original one I will do the same and sell it on EBAY for what they go for.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Checking the oil on the LT is done on the side stand not the center stand.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
You are both right and wrong.

It can be checked either on the center stand or on the side stand per the page posted by Voyager.

You just read the full level differently - top on the center stand, middle on the side stand.

Place on center stand...upper ring marking = MAX, lower ring marking = MIN

"Note: The centre of the inspection glass corresponds to the MAX fill level if the motorcycle is standing on its side stand."

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
You are both right and wrong.

It can be checked either on the center stand or on the side stand per the page posted by Voyager.

You just read the full level differently - top on the center stand, middle on the side stand.

Place on center stand...upper ring marking = MAX, lower ring marking = MIN

"Note: The centre of the inspection glass corresponds to the MAX fill level if the motorcycle is standing on its side stand."
I disagree. A note is used for additional information or unusual conditions. The main text provides the recommended procedure which is on the center stand for the LT and vertically for every other bike I've owned that lacked a center stand. The bikes lacking center stands had dipsticks which made it relatively easy to check the level while astride the bike holding it vertical on a level surface. The LT would require an assistant if the centerstand was inoperative

My 2007 owners manual doesn't even have the side stand note that is contained in the service manual. It simply says to use the center stand. The reason is that the side stand is highly variable and unreliable. It is affected by the load on the bike, the spring preload, tire pressure, age (sag) of the springs, speed with which you leaned the bike onto the side stand (due to stiction), and probably other variables I'm not thinking of at the moment.

It is incorrect to recommend using the side stand for oil level checks. Sure, use it in a pinch to get an idea if you have some amount of oil in the engine and not grossly overfilled, but it is not an accurate method and should be considered as a crude backup check if for some reason the correct method can't be used.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
On the older bikes you can check oil on both stands but the 05 and up has the bike at a steeper angel so you will see nothing on the side stand.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts