BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK....tried and tried to follow all the posts about redoing the hydraulic/electric center stand.......just can't find out or see anything that tells me where I need to go to get the oil seal that the piston (actuator arm) rod runs through. Mine is shot and from the looks of all the oil I DID NOT get out of it when drained, evidently dribbled it all over the hiways for the last 8 or 10 thousand miles. Sooooooo, if anybody can head me in the right direction, i'd be mighty grateful.

Thanks
Pat

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
From Joe Gottbergs instructions sheet:

--------------------------
Rod Seal Part # “UC10x16x4.5U/MA30” Buna-N (mine was Urethane—Get
Buna-N)

Wiper Seal Part Number “WP10x16x2.6x3.6/5U/A47” Buna-N

40mm ID x 2.0 mm Crossection O-Rings (Buna-N)

Supplier Information:

I purchased Seals and O-Rings from:

Allied Metric Seals and Fasteners Inc.
2 Wilson Drive
Unit 4
Sparta, NJ 07871
Phone: 973-383-2487
FAX: 973-383-3329
[email protected]

I spoke to “Bill” In March 2008, seals were $4.00 per and O-Rings $0.50.
Minimum order Qty was 4 Seals and O-Rings.

--------------------------

I could only get 1 of the rod seals locally (in Oz) and re-used the OEM for the other one.. guess I got lucky and it held OK.

I found to get all the oil out, if you take out the 3 little top screws & push the rod in, pretty much all the oil gets pumped out.
I tend to fill them through those as well, at least the 2 little ones close together... the one at the other end stripped and I had to locktite it in....

good luck with it!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
The only draw back is they are $8 each with a minimum of 5. Seal Source in Portland OR has a better price but is out of stock right now. I have 10 on back order. Some times you can just pull and clean the seal and it will hold fluid. You have to remove the end cap (watch the big sping) then pull the rod through. I do have one of the seals from the outfit in NJ on hand if you are interested.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jzeiler said:
The only draw back is they are $8 each with a minimum of 5. Seal Source in Portland OR has a better price but is out of stock right now. I have 10 on back order. Some times you can just pull and clean the seal and it will hold fluid. You have to remove the end cap (watch the big sping) then pull the rod through. I do have one of the seals from the outfit in NJ on hand if you are interested.

Now, that's what I call service with a smile!! Thanks you guys! Been having problems lifting the bike for the past week or so....and two days ago, it just collapsed after only half way up. Looking at it, laying on the floor with a mirror in one hand, flashlight in the other, I saw black streaks up and down the rod......... I thought it was road tar......but then after running a couple of fingers over it, and NOT seeing anything come off, I new the seals were disintegrating. Another sign was the gob of "tar" right where the rod goes into the cylinder cap.

Following the instructions from Ari, (printed out about 50 of his pictures and comments so I could follow along) I easily got everything apart, cleaned and ready to reassemble when I get the seals.

Sooooooo Monday I'll make a few calls and see who has what, and get them ordered and on the way.

Oh....almost forgot....after draining the oil, I was surprised to see that I only got about 70 or 80 cc's out........not the 130/135 that it's supposed to me. And SMELL!! That stuff smelled like fish oil, to me........even my wife ran out of the garage so it wouldn't get absorbed via osmosis into her "going to the synagogue" outfit.......... oy!

Can't wait til Monday!! Cleaning up the tools off the floor and going out on the bike, right now!!

Thanks again
Pat

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
PATTERSON said:
Now, that's what I call service with a smile!! Thanks you guys! Been having problems lifting the bike for the past week or so....and two days ago, it just collapsed after only half way up. Looking at it, laying on the floor with a mirror in one hand, flashlight in the other, I saw black streaks up and down the rod......... I thought it was road tar......but then after running a couple of fingers over it, and NOT seeing anything come off, I new the seals were disintegrating. Another sign was the gob of "tar" right where the rod goes into the cylinder cap.

Following the instructions from Ari, (printed out about 50 of his pictures and comments so I could follow along) I easily got everything apart, cleaned and ready to reassemble when I get the seals.

Sooooooo Monday I'll make a few calls and see who has what, and get them ordered and on the way.

Oh....almost forgot....after draining the oil, I was surprised to see that I only got about 70 or 80 cc's out........not the 130/135 that it's supposed to me. And SMELL!! That stuff smelled like fish oil, to me........even my wife ran out of the garage so it wouldn't get absorbed via osmosis into her "going to the synagogue" outfit.......... oy!

Can't wait til Monday!! Cleaning up the tools off the floor and going out on the bike, right now!!

Thanks again
Pat
I have two sets of each that have been mentioned here, and if SealSource is still out of stock send me a PM and I can help you. I'm keeping enough on hand to be able to rebuild for anyone on the list. I also have an extra actuator to rebuild for a swap with a good core. Like John, I prefer the tougher wiper and seal SealSource is selling (say that 5 times fast ;)). The wiper ring is metal reinforced while the seal is 5000psi versus the 2000psi that the unit came with. I'm also stocking a new and used motor as well. I'm guessing by the price of a new one rebuilding will be the way to go with these units.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ErnieA said:
I have two sets of each that have been mentioned here, and if SealSource is still out of stock send me a PM and I can help you. I'm keeping enough on hand to be able to rebuild for anyone on the list. I also have an extra actuator to rebuild for a swap with a good core. Like John, I prefer the tougher wiper and seal SealSource is selling (say that 5 times fast ;)). The wiper ring is metal reinforced while the seal is 5000psi versus the 2000psi that the unit came with. I'm also stocking a new and used motor as well. I'm guessing by the price of a new one rebuilding will be the way to go with these units.

OK kiddies......an update here. Called the Portland place first chance Monday, and was told that they'd never ordered these before and they'd have to check around and see where they could get them from. I waited and waited and today called them back, to find out that they were still waiting for return calls from 2 other places (sure, uh huh...) So I called the one in New Jersey, and POOF....they are now in the mail on the way here. BUT, evidently some things have changed, and they now come in a kit (just the wiper and rod seal)......for $25. Oy!

There you are........NEW JERSEY........the place to go to.

Ernie......if I'd seen your post yesterday instead of just 15 minutes ago.......I would have driven down to you.....just for the ride. Thanks for the offer though.

Pat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.