BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a bike with a center stand it was early 70's but I don't remember if it was easy to use or not it was a smaller bike 750

but with the rt my heart is in my throat every time I put bike on center stand. It feels like it's going to go over. I'm trying to reason on it ' if I'm standing on side of the bike and both sides of the center stand are in contact with the ground it shouldn't go over unless it lifts me too (i think)

hate to ask but has anyone dropped bike putting it up on center stand?
Is there a way to make sure that it won't go over (other than having another person stand on brake side of the bike)

thanks

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hi Twincruise. Felt the same way when mine was new. 5000 miles later, darned near second nature. I always leave the kickstand down when putting it up on the center stand, right hand firmly gripping the bar over the left sidecase, and up she goes. Also, I always have the kickstand down when I'm bringing it off the centerstand.

Best, John

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have experienced what you describe as the RT feeling like it unstable when it goes up on the center stand, however I continue to be pretty cavalierish about yanking it up on the stand, wobbling and all and the bike never is in any threat of going down. For some reason, it just feels that way. So, I say, swallow your coronary organ and go for it with gusto!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hi
I use my center stand when I'm leaving the bike for any extended period of time. I found it a little scary to do it at first. Now I put my side stand down first. Then grab the passenger bar and just stretch upwards. I find it's harder if you try to pull it up.
Getting it off the stand is my problem. If I put the center stand down on an incline I have been known to ask pedestrians for a push.
Ellie

·
Registered
498 Posts
missusfinz said:
Hi
I use my center stand when I'm leaving the bike for any extended period of time. I found it a little scary to do it at first. Now I put my side stand down first. Then grab the passenger bar and just stretch upwards. I find it's harder if you try to pull it up.
Getting it off the stand is my problem. If I put the center stand down on an incline I have been known to ask pedestrians for a push.
Ellie
I've hear others say like Ellie that they grab and pull. I hold the passenger bar and stand with all my (210-ish) weight on the center stand nub and then only have to gently pull up... it's almost an unconscious move. I have never heard of putting the side stand down. I think I'm paranoid that it might get in the way and perhaps bang into it or trip over it.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Mostly it's technique, but as long as you have some foot weight on the stand with both sides touching the pavement it's pretty stable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I always put the side stand down first and then check and make sure it is down before I get off. The stories I hear about riders dropping a bike is when we do not check to make sure there is something to support it. I put it up on the center stand by standing on the left side and then raise it off the side stand to a level position. Put right foot on base of center stand and move bike to rear on to center stand. This takes no effort and it does not feel like there is any danger of tipping. After it is on center stand, reach down and retract side stand. This works well if it is on level ground. If there is any incline, it can be difficult and may require someone to help. I also have experienced some difficulty getting it off center stand if I am headed up hill. I look around and try and find a level space to park even if it means having to walk a bit.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
You are not alone! Many of us have dropped our RT at first trying to use the center stand!

Technique is everything! I dropped my RT in the carport right after I got it. I tried to get it on the center stand and didn't make it. I was trying to muscle it up. When it came down it leaned away from me and pulled me over with it!

Here is the correct way...put the center stand down and put your right foot on it and straighten the bike up. This is very important...DO NOT take your right foot off the center stand. It can't go over on level hard ground if both center stand feet are on the ground and your weight is on it. Grab the handle bar and rack grab bar and just stand up on your right foot and shift your weight back. It will go right up and you can easily control the speed it happens. You cannot muscle it up!

Getting it off the center stand is easy but nerve racking. I ALWAYS put the side stand down. It gives the bike something to land on. PUT THE LANDING GEAR DOWN! Turn the bars to the locked right position, grab the left grip and rack grab bar. Keep your weight back and rock the bike forward. It will come right down. The reason to turn the bars right is to "counter steer" so that it will lean toward you and not away. Just let it come down, stop it, and set it on the side stand.

After I dropped mine, I got the salesman to show me the correct way to do it. He does it probably 20 to 30 times a day and has got a pretty good technique. With a little practice it becomes easy but I am still not complacent about it!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I felt the same way when I moved up from my 2001 1100RT to the 2009 1200RT. The old bike had a handle that you used to pull the bike up on the center stand. The new bike had no handle and I was very confused as to how to get the bike on the center stand. The manual was of no help. The directions were useless. After some advice and practice I learned how to do it. I lower the center stand with my right foot on the stand pedal. I place my left hand on the left hand grip and my right hand holding the back of the front seat. As I press down on the stand pedal with my foot, I gently rock the bike until I can feel that both stand feet are in contact with the floor. I then move my right hand over to grip the rear rack, keeping the left hand on the left hand grip. I then put my entire weight on my right foot on the center stand pedal and at the same time heave back. The bike pops up effortlessly onto the stand. It took some practice, and it felt a few times that the bike was going over but it never did. In the end it's much easier, using gravity and body weight, than the raw muscle power that was needed with the old bike.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
Mostly it's technique, but as long as you have some foot weight on the stand with both sides touching the pavement it's pretty stable.
True. ;)
For real anxiety try a Harley side stand. It never feels right. :histerica

·
Registered
233 Posts
I use the left foot, not the right. I grab the left grip with my left hand, grab the side of the rack with my right hand (knuckles up), rock it onto the center stand points gently, and then with one motion, step down firmly with my left foot, and lift up and back with my right hand at the same time I ALWAYS have the side stand down, so if things go awry, I have a place for the bike to go other than horizontal. (the obvious default here would be to pull the bike towards you) Sometimes I don't have enough momentum when doing this and the bike settles back, but it has never seemed too precarious, and if it doesn't come off (or up) the first time,I give it another go.

When taking it off the center stand, I place my hands the same way and just pull it forward and a little bit towards me. It settles on to the side stand with no trouble.

I was a little nervous about this whole operation at first, but have never had the feeling that things were not stable. I have dropped the bike other ways with my rear on the seat at zero miles per hour...............but so far (looking for wood to knock upon) I have never had a problem gettting it up and off the center stand. YMMV

Jamie

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I can feel when the center stand is square with the floor and then I just push down with my right foot and the bike come up. I do leave the kick stand down, but it's never been an issue.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Lawrence_D said:
I've hear others say like Ellie that they grab and pull. I hold the passenger bar and stand with all my (210-ish) weight on the center stand nub and then only have to gently pull up... it's almost an unconscious move. I have never heard of putting the side stand down. I think I'm paranoid that it might get in the way and perhaps bang into it or trip over it.
Hi
I only weigh 145 lbs. at 5'9". If my bike started to go over I would never be able to stop it. I've been lucky so far. The side stand is my insurance.
Ellie

·
Registered
545 Posts
missusfinz said:
Hi
I only weigh 145 lbs. at 5'9". If my bike started to go over I would never be able to stop it. I've been lucky so far. The side stand is my insurance.
Ellie
Hiya Ellie. From your pic on the "From a Wing to an RT" thread, looks like if you put your foot on the center stand nub, the bike would leap up onto the center stand. With no back talk. :histerica

·
Registered
18 Posts
twincruise said:
I've had a bike with a center stand it was early 70's but I don't remember if it was easy to use or not it was a smaller bike 750

but with the rt my heart is in my throat every time I put bike on center stand. It feels like it's going to go over. I'm trying to reason on it ' if I'm standing on side of the bike and both sides of the center stand are in contact with the ground it shouldn't go over unless it lifts me too (i think)

hate to ask but has anyone dropped bike putting it up on center stand?
Is there a way to make sure that it won't go over (other than having another person stand on brake side of the bike)

thanks

Technique, confidence and practice and you will lift the bike with one arm.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Further to the other answers, my technique is as follows;

I place the bike on the side stand before dismounting. This way I can dismount with out worrying that she will tip over. I place the centre stand on the ground with my left foot, and place my weight on it. I check that she has both feet on the ground by gently rocking her. I make sure she is held tightly, just in case, I go past the balance point. When this is confirmed I hold the passengers grab rail & handlebar and lift the bike vertically. She then pops relatively easily on the centre stand. To reverse the process, I mount the bike and then rock her forward with both legs braced to hold her.

I have only ever dropped my BMW while placing her on the centre stand once. This was not with my R1200Rt, but with the K100RT. The centre stand slipped from my foot, and she came crashing down on the right hand side.

If you make sure that you check the feet are correctly placed (centre stand feet and your own) then you should not have any problem.

Best regards
Sleuth

·
Registered
46 Posts
jrhSeattle said:
I use the left foot, not the right.
Jamie
This left foot vs right foot thing is interesting. I got into a debate with another beemer guy about that. He insisted I was doing it wrong and I should use left foot. I tried left foot and couldn't do it. It seem to twist my body the wrong way and the whole setup felt very unstable. One day when over at a dealers I watched the mechanic use his right foot putting my bike on the center stand. He told me the right foot was correct. In the end I think it's a personal preference. What ever works for you.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Am I the only one who takes the bike off the center stand while sitting in the saddle? I suppose if one's legs where shorter than mine it might be a little difficult, but my 32 inch inseam allows me to "nudge" the bike forward off the center stand. I do seem to lean the bike a little to the left, maybe 3-5° to allow me to put more of my left foot in contact with the garage floor.

I have never taken it off the center stand while standing beside the bike. For some reason that seems harder to do than while in the saddle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Go put an FJR1300 on its center stand. Then you'll appreciate how much easier the R1200RT goes up.

A lot of it is technique, but the FJR definitely requires more "heft"; i.e. a more serious grunt.

·
Registered
80 Posts
At 5'4" and about 140 lbs, putting the RT on the centerstand hasn't been an issue. Taking it off, however, does tend to make me a bit nervous. As others have mentioned, I turn the bars a bit to the right, grab the left grip with my left hand, right hand on the left passenger grab rail and rock her forward, side stand down already.

If my wife is home I have her stand on the right side of the bike and if it starts to go that direction I tell her to throw her body under it to cushion the fall. She'd heal up better than the RT! :histerica (just kidding about this) I do have her stand close and told her to push it towards me if it starts to head that direction. It never has but still.....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts