BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the center of gravity (CofG) of the K1600GTL compare to the K1200LT?

A couple of years ago, I test drove an LT. The mechanic at the shop where I take my bike for service work pointed out the pros and cons. One of cons being that the LT has a high CofG, thus making it more susceptible to tips at slow speeds or stopped. Also, it less maneuverable at parking-lot speeds.

When my wife heard this, she had no desire to be a passenger on such a bike.

So I am wondering what the CofG is like on the GTL.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Much lower on the 1600. The bike is lighter weight-wise, and feels even lighter than the weight difference would indicate.

The only counter is that the pillion is quite high, so 2-up you lose some of the advantage. Still much easier to manage than the LT though IMO.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a 2002 K1200 LT and about 3 months ago switched to a K1600 GTL. The difference is night and day. Not only is the K1600 about 150 pounds lighter, the center of gravity is quite a bit lower. That was one thing I did not like about the K1200 was how top heavy it seemed, and made some rides quite instable. This bike is much better at slower speeds and handles corners a lot more fluid like. I am extremely thankful I changed to this bike as it has made my riding more.....enjoyable.

·
Registered
35 Posts
JimE said:
Much lower on the 1600. The bike is lighter weight-wise, and feels even lighter than the weight difference would indicate.

The only counter is that the pillion is quite high, so 2-up you lose some of the advantage. Still much easier to manage than the LT though IMO.
Would the pillion on the 1600 be higher than on a 1200rt. I ride two up on my rt, would the 1600 handle better or worse than the rt two up?

Richie

·
IBR# 366
16,655 Posts
Richie1 said:
Would the 1600 handle better or worse than the rt two up?
Test ride one and find out for yourself . . . :bike:

But be prepared to buy. Yes, it's that good. :bmw:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.