BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the windshield for my 2006 K1200 LT but I'm not sure which of the 2 works the best or is it just better to replace it with the stock windshield.

Can anyone give any advice and/or suggestions pertaining to these windshields?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I put a C Bailey on my 2000 last year. I am not very pleased. I know that fogging is normal, but the way this shield fogs is nuts. The slightest temp change and I can not see through it at all. I ride 43 miles to work and have to stop twice to clean it. Maybe I just got a bad one but I will not buy another one.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
I have a CE Bailey and do not have any fogging issues - however I only clean with warm water as they recommend.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My 2003 had the factory shield when I bought it in '06. I had Raffy put on a Z Technik V-stream on at CCR in Georgia, and I was immediately impressed.

The V-stream is markedly more clear (less distortion) than stock, in my opinion. It also has greatly reduced (but not totally eliminated) driver and pillion helmet buffeting. I put the stock 'shield back on about a month ago to see if it might give me better airflow in the sweltering Texas summer. After a day and a half, I went back to the V-stream and will never return to a stock shield again.

I have no experience with the CB, but I would recommend the Z-tech completely over the OEM.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I just put on the ZTechnic. I think it is great. With the stock shield, the wind would right at the ears, but now is pushed away. Much more quiet. My wife is 5'6", and says the ride in back is much better for her. No problems with clarity.

·
Registered
688 Posts
It can be very expensive trying one windshield, finding you don't like it and trying another and so on. I went to the MOA rally in Bend, WI a few years ago and 3 aftermarket windshield vendors were there, so I could try them out. I bought a V Stream as it was the one my wife and passenger liked the best. If she is happy, so is the rider. You know how that goes.

Anyway, I went to the MOA rally in TN this past week and only one vendor was there, V Stream. I usually recommend that you go to a rally and try out the various windshields for yourself, but that would not have been possible this time. Maybe the bigger rallies out there just might have more than one vendor.

I have heard that some dealers have windshields from various vendors that you might try. Check yours out. I know mine does not.

IMHO, you can't go with recommendations here (as well intentioned as they are) as what works for one person, may not work for you.

Good luck.

Ultra LT

·
Registered
534 Posts
jcrowleyiv said:
The V-stream is markedly more clear (less distortion) than stock, in my opinion. It also has greatly reduced (but not totally eliminated) driver and pillion helmet buffeting. I put the stock 'shield back on about a month ago to see if it might give me better airflow in the sweltering Texas summer. After a day and a half, I went back to the V-stream and will never return to a stock shield again.

I have no experience with the CB, but I would recommend the Z-tech completely over the OEM.
I have the V-Stream & give it a :thumb:.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I have a Cee Bailey #2 -2 as I prefer to look over the windshield.
I'm very satisfied with it and prefer it over the stock windshield.

When the V-stream first came out many riders on this forum thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, they had me sold and I was ready to buy one, then a little at a time some of them changed their minds
(do a search for V-stream, Cee Baileys and windshields)
there's a lot of good information and opinions already in the archives.

This leads me to believe that like a lot of things it's mostly about personal preference
and nobody can really tell you which one you're gonna prefer until you try it.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
I have had both on two different LT's and I liked them both.
Cee Bailey: -2 inch was great for 1 up riding, making the shield a little shorter allowed me to raise the shield to a more vertical position and better air flow.
Z-tech: Great for two up riding, quiet bubble. All the way down for 1 up and slightly raised for two up.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It is a matter of personal preference.

I had a C Bailey on a 99 LT and tried a V-Stream at the West Bend Rally. I preferred the C Bailey.

1. I adjusted the windshields so that I could look over them. Distortion is not an issue. It could be for you.

2. I got less buffeting from the C Bailey. The V Stream seemed to allow air to rush in from each side.

3. There are lots of sizes of C Bailey shields. Getting the wrong size will be a problem. If possible ride a bike with the size shield you are going to buy.

Karl

·
Registered
319 Posts
I bought the V-stream this past week-end at the rally, in Tenn. I was looking for something that would give my CEO less wind blasting. I had been running a Cee Bailey for about 2yrs and it worked great for me but not so good for her. The sales people at the rally where great, 20% discount and free install plus a ride to buy policy. We went out the next day for a day long ride. Now, she is not a big motorcycle rider but after returning. She said (out of the blue) that was a much better experience with the new shield. A good day for me! "Sold" no reason to take it back. My two cents worth. Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Have the Cee-Bailey #2- 4 euro w/ wings tinted. I'm 6.0 w/ a 32" inseem. Works great for me. Wish I had the -3 though. Have never tried the v-stream. I'm sure it works well also.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
I have a Cee Bailey #2 -2 as I prefer to look over the windshield.
I'm very satisfied with it and prefer it over the stock windshield.

When the V-stream first came out many riders on this forum thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, they had me sold and I was ready to buy one, then a little at a time some of them changed their minds
(do a search for V-stream, Cee Baileys and windshields)
there's a lot of good information and opinions already in the archives.

This leads me to believe that like a lot of things it's mostly about personal preference
and nobody can really tell you which one you're gonna prefer until you try it.
I've had the same experience. I put a Cee Baily's -2 #2 on both of my LT's and just love them. I tried the Ztech for a day once and didn't like having to put it all the way up and still not be as quiet as the CB.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I have a V Stream and a CB #2, -4 with wings. I am 5'9". I like the VStream for it clairity. I think it is far superior to the Stock or CB. However, it is too tall for me, even in the down position, and I mostly ride with the CB on the bike. I also think the CB with the wings give both myself and the pillon more wind protection and less buffeting. Just my opinion. I like the both, but prefer the CB.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
There is also the cee baileys hyper flow shields to consider. I have the mid size on and can just see over it with the seat in the high position and sitting on bead riders. We both like the reduction in wind noise on the helmets. If you're under 6'1 and want to see over the shield definatly get the short one.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm happy seeing this thread - I have the stock windshield and always contemplated between the CB and the VStream. It seems more people are happier with the VStream and that's what BMW sells, so I'm gonna stick with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts