BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

If you know of a tread that covers this issue , please let me know...
i have a condensation issue with the small cd/radio indicator screen on the top of the tank next to the radio buttons . I would like to gain access to this screen to
1- Clean it
2- Seal it up so to protect it and keep it visible

I`m going to remove the topper ware on the sides . So I could take the radio out also .
I would like to see what could be done to protect this screen from humidity .
I see on the top plastic cover that protects the screen . It looks like it`s removable to gain access to the led screen itself . could that be sealed.
Is there any issue with opening up this section of the bike . Has anyone had this issue

Thanks for your help

Louis

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
the plastic itself absorbs water, clean with alcohol and it will be as clear as it gets, some use car wax to protect as much as possible

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Before you take Tupperware off try this...It might just be hazy or cloudy. Mine was. I used Novus # 2 .Put a little on a soft cloth and rub vigorously and wipe clean.You'd be surprised how much better it looks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the plastic itself absorbs water, clean with alcohol and it will be as clear as it gets, some use car wax to protect as much as possible
ok

I will do that to clean the exterior of the plastic cover . But when it rains in gets all condensated and i would like to seal it up from the inside + While I`m at it I could clean the inside of the plastic protective cover

Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
375 Posts
As far as I know is this an complete part this cotroll panel.
U can clean it from the inside but this screen is glued or weldet in to this plastic body.
This condensation you have must come from water wich comes to the inside thruogh bad seals around this Panel. Mayby a pinched seal in some area.

Manfred

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yes ... But I want to do the inside also
I do not believe it is a plastic cover, it is actually the display, the only place water can get into the radio is through the rubber seal around the buttons

·
Registered
716 Posts
As already posted, the foggy plastic can be remedied by simply wiping with alcohol. Isopropyl works but denatured has been suggested too.

For condensation to the extent of droplets, you can try warming the display to evaporate the water. It may take time and patience to avoid overheating and damaging the display. Use a hair dryer, not a heat gun. The water will vaporize and works its way back out the way it came in.

I applied clear PVC electrical tape over the display to seal it from the elements. Since the tape stretches, I sealed the display and the grey plastic surrounding it. It has worked to keep moisture out and the screen clear. The tape has not yellowed after a few years but is easy to replace if it does. If done carefully, it can look okay and not very noticeable.

good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow ... that changes everything
must be something that can be done ....

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As already posted, the foggy plastic can be remedied by simply wiping with alcohol. Isopropyl works but denatured has been suggested too.

For condensation to the extent of droplets, you can try warming the display to evaporate the water. It may take time and patience to avoid overheating and damaging the display. Use a hair dryer, not a heat gun. The water will vaporize and works its way back out the way it came in.

I applied clear PVC electrical tape over the display to seal it from the elements. Since the tape stretches, I sealed the display and the grey plastic surrounding it. It has worked to keep moisture out and the screen clear. The tape has not yellowed after a few years but is easy to replace if it does. If done carefully, it can look okay and not very noticeable.

good luck.

ok , The screen is clear now, alcohol worked fine . But the condensation issue is the question now . i have some screen aver shrink poly for phones .
I will give that a try

sorry that i can`t get to the inside . I will see if its at all possible

Thanks

lou

1 - 13 of 13 Posts