BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I've got a 2005 LT that didn't come with the CD changer in the trunk. I want to add an ipod playere that plugs into the CD changer cable in the right side bag. In checking this all out, it seemed simple enough. I purchased the long cable that runs from the radio unit to the rear bag thinking that this was all I would need. When I took off all the plastic to plug this cable into the back of the radio, I discovered that one needs ANOTHER cable...one that runs from the back of the radio to the cable that I purchased. My question is this:

Could I purchase the cable I need from a pre-2005 LT and use it? I know it has a different BMW part number, but could I make a pre-2005 cable work? I ask this because I can find a used cable off of a 2004 or earlier bike, but can't find the cable from a 2005 or later bike.

Has anyone done this? Could I make the older cable work on my newer bike? Any help would be appreciated.

Thankss

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,362 Posts
The entire harness at the radio is different if you have the CD remote player. One could build an adapter but you need the whole front harness to make plug and play. As far as I can tell from looking at the schematics the earlier 02-04 harness should work but I cannot swear to it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been using FM Modulater/Transmitters on my last 3 bikes as a cheap option. They cost under $20, plug into a power socket (cigarette lighter) and transmit your music via FM signal. Just tune the bike's radio or intercom headset to the chosen frequency. I prefer to use SD card ones but most have an MP3 socket. For the LT I fitted a marine quality socket (again about 20 bucks) to the black plastic cover on the left of the console, in line with the glovebox hinge. If I'm wearing thin gloves the track skip and pause function can be used ok. I'd post photos but can't figure out how.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.