BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock BMW 6-CD Changer (00 LT) seems to be a little more sensitive lately. hit a bump and the CD skips. :( I recently added some oil to my rear adjuster as detailed in other threads which did stiffen up the rear a bit.

So, is this common? Do they need some type of maintenance? I did run one of those CD cleaner disks in it a while back. Just would be nice to listen to the music without the skipping. :cool:

Attachments

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Mine skipped all the time also. I tried all the fix's, new padding around the changer , shorter mounting bolts none of it helped so....... OUT it came and I installed Sirius radio and have not missed the CD changer :D

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Back in '00, when several of my bud's ate MRE's on a regular basis as they had a stockpile of them and bottled water, we discovered that more than a few LT's had left the shop with the packing screws still holding the CD player rigid. I don't know the history of your bike, but you might have one that never had said screws removed. True that, they will skip, but not on a regular basis.... kind of a spring loaded, floating thang. Either that, or the thang is smoothe worn out.

Of course, once you discover the joys of satellite radio, or MP3's, you'll yank the CD player.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
794 Posts
+1 for XM Radio... It does loose signal in the mountains.

If you are using home made CDROMs it will wildly skip if you place more than 13 songs on it.
Songs 13-19 will skip if the head even plays them at all.
The player seems to like the data on the outer portion of the disk, better.

·
Registered
160 Posts
For a 200 model, the easy no-skip answer is a small MP3 player hooked to a small FM transmitter and sit it in your oddments box. Tune in your radio and no more hops, skips or loss of music quality.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
grifscoots said:
Back in '00, when several of my bud's ate MRE's on a regular basis as they had a stockpile of them and bottled water, we discovered that more than a few LT's had left the shop with the packing screws still holding the CD player rigid. I don't know the history of your bike, but you might have one that never had said screws removed. True that, they will skip, but not on a regular basis.... kind of a spring loaded, floating thang. Either that, or the thang is smoothe worn out.

Of course, once you discover the joys of satellite radio, or MP3's, you'll yank the CD player.
OK... all good ideas and info. I have been using copies of my original CD's due to the summer heat here. Easier to make a new copy than buy new CD. Took me along time and $$$ to collect all of Jimmy Buffett's CD's.

SO.... where are these packing screws and how do I release it from the bondage?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
BrianD said:
For a 200 model, the easy no-skip answer is a small MP3 player hooked to a small FM transmitter and sit it in your oddments box. Tune in your radio and no more hops, skips or loss of music quality.
Or even better for a 2000 LT is to use a Cassette adapter for your MP-3 player. Then you can control the volume through the handlebar control when you select "CC" on the control head! Been doing that for over four years with my Ipod now, and sure don't miss the CD player. If you do decide to stick with the CD player check those bolts like Grif said. There were a bunch of threads in the old list describing the problem.

John

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Mine also skips but like posted earlier, they are all copies. I burn a copy so I do not have to keep the original in the bike. FM for the most part.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Yeah.. my "CD" player skipped on my '05 since new. Pulled it, have a nice tool pouch in it's place... and added "Sirius" via direct FM connection. It just works.

One can only hope that BMW "gets with the programme" and installs the Sat or MP3 options...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Skiping CD player

I have a 2005 also and my cd player skips when I first turn it on after getting on the road on hard bumps but it seems like once the suspension loosens up it only skips on really hard bumps. How you have your rear adjustment set seems to help or hurt this problem as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts