BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wet Weekend in Wales.

A big thankyou to Stuart (thor1340) for organising the first(?) National K1200LT rally. There were only 3 bikes but from little acorns and all that! The weather wasn't actually that bad, in fact Sunday was sunny and warm and the excellent drying facilities at the Bikers Retreat meant we always had dry kit each morning.

We were all slightly suprised (especially our wives!) that despite meeting on an internet site we were all nearly normal (apart from Jan, Stuarts wife but that was by her own admission). We didn't have any technical sessions but Jan showed us the finer points of Yoga and the bar was keenly attended each evening.

By Sunday lunchtime it was clear we were all getting on well but I thought we would all benefit from a little bonding exercise. As we negotiated our way up a steep muddy track to a tea house overlooking a resevoir I saw my chance; accidently on purpose I lost the backend on a slippery patch of muddy grass, tipped off the track through the trees and slid down a bank with bike on its side.

This had the desired effect, within seconds the team was rallying around and as 1 we hoisted the bike out of the mud and back up the bank, obviously I knew the legendary crashing ability of the big K but the others were stunned to see that after popping the mirrors back on the bike was almost unmarked, minor scratches on the mudguard and some scuffing on the pannier, somebody up there was smiling on me that day!

We all parted company keen to meet up again in the spring ? Cotswolds, maybe we'll see you there?

Steve

·
IBR# 366
16,555 Posts
That sounds like some of the NorCal rides I've been on. :) Seriously, glad that you weren't hurt, and that you all enjoyed the weekend. Living in Wales sure taught me a lot about wet weather riding.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Remember

·
Registered
149 Posts
Back Home

Well, back in work after the weekend, I am glad everybody enjoyed it.
Steve, I wasn't going to mention your little excursion in to the trees. I gather you havent found any problems with the bike since.
Wouldn't you know it, the weather has been good the last two days, but it didn't bother us, we just laugh at the rain.
Both you and Paul took a couple of pix, are you going to post them at any stage?
Glad the ladies enjoyed the weekend too, it makes it much more enjoyable for everyone all round if the girls are happy.
Keep in touch, and Steve, will you pass on a Happy Birthday to Judith for Friday

Regards

Stuart & Jan

Anyone else up for a spring weekend, possibly in a guesthouse / hotel in the cotswolds?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Photo's, umm, I've not even looked at them yet! Once i work out what to do I'll post them.

steve

·
Registered
378 Posts
You should see the photos of Mr Meese's run in with trees - not quite minor damage on that occasion.

Well - one way to avoid having to wash the bike, anyway

·
IBR# 366
16,555 Posts
It sure saved me from trying to export it to the States or sell it off at a major loss. I don't recommend this method as cracked/bruised* ribs during an international move are no fun at all. BMW declined to fix the bike under warranty :D, but fortunately my US insurance was good worldwide.

* I still don't know if they were cracked or bruised. The UK doctors don't bother to x-ray such things, as it makes no difference in the recommended treatment - take these pain meds and try not to move. Gotta love underfunded socialized medicine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts