BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another interesting conversation, I was asked today about the riding. For some reason, a few people think that Chateau Elan is in the middle of Atlanta. Actually, it about an hour and a half outside Atlanta, close to the North Georgia Mountains.

You are two hours from the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway. A little over two hours from the Foothills Parkway and Gatlinburg. The southern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway begins just about an hour northwest of Chateau Elan. And you can make an easy day ride to visit Asheville, NC and the Biltmore Estate.

In addition to the more famous rides like the Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, and the Blue Ridge Parkway, there are other lesser known rides that will offer plenty of scenery and fantastic riding.

North Georgia

Ridge & Valley Byway

Cohutta-Chattahoochee Scenic Byway

Russell-Brasstown Scenic Byway

Northeast Alabama

Talladega Scenic Drive

Southeast Tennessee

Ocoee Scenic Byway

Cherohala Skyway - Tennessee Side

Cherohala Skyway - North Carolina Side

The National Scenic Byways website is at: http://www.byways.org/

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Jeff, good stuff but you forgot the most important map :eek: - the radar enforcement map for the dragon ;).

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Great roads!

All those routes you have listed are great! I have no doubt that some of the best riding around is in north georgia cause I've been riding them for three years now. Can't get much better. So many roads and so little time. Come see us!

eljeffe said:
In another interesting conversation, I was asked today about the riding. For some reason, a few people think that Chateau Elan is in the middle of Atlanta. Actually, it about an hour and a half outside Atlanta, close to the North Georgia Mountains.

You are two hours from the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway. A little over two hours from the Foothills Parkway and Gatlinburg. The southern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway begins just about an hour northwest of Chateau Elan. And you can make an easy day ride to visit Asheville, NC and the Biltmore Estate.

In addition to the more famous rides like the Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, and the Blue Ridge Parkway, there are other lesser known rides that will offer plenty of scenery and fantastic riding.

North Georgia

Ridge & Valley Byway

Cohutta-Chattahoochee Scenic Byway

Russell-Brasstown Scenic Byway

Northeast Alabama

Talladega Scenic Drive

Southeast Tennessee

Ocoee Scenic Byway

Cherohala Skyway - Tennessee Side

Cherohala Skyway - North Carolina Side

The National Scenic Byways website is at: http://www.byways.org/

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
and don't forget, about a mile from the front gate of Chateau Elan, is Mayfield Dairy...the best ice cream in the Southeast... here is the link

http://www.mayfielddairy.com/visitors.html#:thumb:

Nice way to cool off after a hot August ride...:)

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I have been fortunate enough to have ridden all of those roads, some more than others. I dont care much for Alabama (sorry Don) roads but the scenery around Cheoha Mountain just east of Oxford, Alabama (and about 60+ miles west of Atlanta is pretty good.

The roads around Lafayette, Georgia (my neck of the woods-almost) are ok. Nothing special, but if in the area there are a few rides that are worthy.

The other roads in the Northeast Georgia mountains are a must as well as the mountains in Southeaster NC.

Don, BTW, I grew up drinking Mayfield milk and eating Mayfield icecream, BUT, my wife being from Texas (not too far from Griff) had me try some Blue Bell icecream when we made a visit out there and I have to say that it is also a pretty good icecream!

Anyway you look at it, CCR 2006 will be a dandy for all!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hi, Don:

and don't forget, about a mile from the front gate of Chateau Elan, is Mayfield Dairy...the best ice cream in the Southeast... here is the link

http://www.mayfielddairy.com/visitors.html#

Nice way to cool off after a hot August ride...
No fair! Boy, you just know how to make an old back slidin' diabetic really break out in a sweat, don'cha? :) I know, you're just tryin' to drum up business. ;)

BTW, how's that replacement tire doin'?

Naturally Sweet Karl

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
kmurphy165 said:
Hi, Don:

No fair! Boy, you just know how to make an old back slidin' diabetic really break out in a sweat, don'cha? :) I know, you're just tryin' to drum up business. ;)

BTW, how's that replacement tire doin'?

Naturally Sweet Karl
Hello Karl and Lynn, doing fine here.. if the ice cream is a no no then we got some fine Bar B Q, maybe fried green tomatoes, sweet potatoes and during the next CCR will be harvest for the vineyards, peaches and apples plus some great roads in North Gerogia....

Have you signed up yet?

Take care..the tire did fine...too good, Colorado's finest gave me a little welcome and warning on Hwy 34 that afternoon, he said was doing over 70, which was correct.. I had the cruise set on 72, which was 7 over the posted.... said he liked my trailer (Unigo) but didn't mention about "no tag", of course the folks down at the Alabama County seat still looking for Unigo in their tag book..another story..

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hi, Don:
Hello Karl and Lynn, doing fine here.. if the ice cream is a no no then we got some fine Bar B Q, maybe fried green tomatoes, sweet potatoes and during the next CCR will be harvest for the vineyards, peaches and apples plus some great roads in North Gerogia....

Have you signed up yet?

Take care..the tire did fine...too good, Colorado's finest gave me a little welcome and warning on Hwy 34 that afternoon, he said was doing over 70, which was correct.. I had the cruise set on 72, which was 7 over the posted.... said he liked my trailer (Unigo) but didn't mention about "no tag", of course the folks down at the Alabama County seat still looking for Unigo in their tag book..another story..
I didn't say that I couldn't enjoy the ice cream, hell I gots no self discipline no way. I was just tryin' to activate your christian sense of guilt! :) We be all registered and room reserved. You sure be lucky with the interaction with Colorado's Lowest. But really glad you got home in good shape.

All is fine here. Lynn just keeps insisting I take my medication and beats me if I don't. Not near as much fun that way, but what's a guy to do? Anyway, keep the pulse checking going.

Pulse Pumpin' Karl

·
Registered
35 Posts
Curve cowboy plans

OK we are in 2006 now, time to start making plans for CCR. On Wednesday the 30th we are riding from CE to the Barber Museum in Leeds, AL. If you have never been there this place is a must see (www.barbermuseum.org) for any motorcyclist. It's less than 200 miles and is an amazing place. We will be leaving early bacauseit takes hours in the museum. Check it out at the web site. Directions are here -- http://www.mapquest.com/directions/...=sqI3YS+f7T0=&2l=AMZOYVt1p6Q=&2g=w1+Es4nThNk=
Can't wait for this trip; wine, friends, old bikes, superbike races, tail of the Dragon..........what more could anyone want

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Just so you won't be hit by "sticker shock" for the entrance fee at Barber ... on race days, folks wanting to tour the museum are charged an entrance fee for the races in addition to the entrance fee for the museum. If you're not interested in the racing, that makes the total museum fee rather steep. If this concerns you, check to see if there's racing scheduled at Barber on the day you wish to tour their (fabulous!) museum.

- Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
bob_menton said:
Just so you won't be hit by "sticker shock" for the entrance fee at Barber ... on race days, folks wanting to tour the museum are charged an entrance fee for the races in addition to the entrance fee for the museum. If you're not interested in the racing, that makes the total museum fee rather steep. If this concerns you, check to see if there's racing scheduled at Barber on the day you wish to tour their (fabulous!) museum.

- Bob
No race that day, current policy is that you can visit the museum without entering the track (or paying track entrance) Sep 1,2,3 is the Mustang Club at the track. Museum entrance is only $10 for all day.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
eljeffe said:

Maybe I should clarify this for some of you that do not know the area, I can even put together some great roads since I live here.
Just to let everyone know I live about 40 miles north from the Lodge, Just outside of Dahlonega (basically the mountains start here) It is a one hour ride there minimum from my place.

Ok here goes......
The Resort is not really in the mountains, it is about 1 hour to 1.5 hours (depending on traffic conditions south of the begining of the north Georgia Mountains, 45 minutes if no traffic and you FLY!.

Chateau Elan is actually North east of Atlanta. Deals gap is going to be real close to three hours one way non stop riding. Plan on a little more than three hours, these are TWISTY ROADS up here! many one lane roads which ar e not safe to pass on as well. Same goes for the Cherohala Skyway real clsoe to three hours away. There are many other fine roads to travel as well. All are north and north East of the lodge, if your thinking of heading over to the west side of Ga to run the gorge, plan on 4 hours one way to get there.

The Blue ridge parkway starts 126 miles from there according to mapsource, plan on 2.5 hours to get there running the fastest route (some highway's) there are other places to get on the parkway further east, they may be less time.

If you go to deals gap please ride hwy 28 south from there, through Stecoah, Tellico, Frankin, keep going on to highlands, Pine Mountain, all the way down to hwy 183

you will NOT regret it !!,

if your so inclined to make some time getting back, get off 28 onto Warwoman road just before Pine Mountain, head west then find 129 or 197 south.

No place will be a couple hour ride.

If your looking for a four or 5 hour ride round trip do not take those trips above, instead head off to 197 by way of Mt Airy head north on 197 to batesville, stop at the mark of the potter on 197, they have a gorgous waterfall with some of the prettiest trout you will see around these parts, there is a little place at the intersection of 197 and 255 to eat lunch (i think it's 255 it might be 356) head back by way of 356 you will hit 17 just north of Helen Ga a awesome little town, this route brings you in from the north and you will miss all the harsh traffic, anyhow from there head north on 17 a short distance to ALT 75 you can only go west from there, take it to the Richard Russel hwy 348 and go north if you have about one and half extra hours take it to 180 go west again, you can take 129 over blood mountain to get back to the resort or you can head west again on 180 (wolf pen gap)- to Suches Ga, it has some wicked turns so be carefull for those that are not used to twisties.

you folks that are coming here to ride are about to see some of the best roads in the US to ride

Now keep this in mind

North Ga police are cracking down on speeders BIG TIME, particularly motorcyclists! of all brands lately, youa re going to be real close to or end up riding in S.C. N.C and possibly TN, North carolina takes you to jail for 20 over the limit, no questions asked any more so I have been hearing.

please if you are not used to twisty roads Be carefull, we have some great roads here some are misleading it;s easy to get in trouble

I hope this will help some, for those that have many day's to goof off and ride. PM me and I will send you some more roads

Tom

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
pkpr1998 said:
I have been fortunate enough to have ridden all of those roads, some more than others. I dont care much for Alabama (sorry Don) roads but the scenery around Cheoha Mountain just east of Oxford, Alabama (and about 60+ miles west of Atlanta is pretty good.
Anyway you look at it, CCR 2006 will be a dandy for all!
Brett we need to get togehter and do some riding, I know every little nook around these parts (NE GA), I bet you know them around you as well, wouyld love to do some riding over that way more, I have good friuends that live in Charleston Tn so we know those parts farily well too

Tom

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Tom, let's do it! You can probably show me some roads that I may not have ridden. But you are correct, these boys coming from all over are going to be in for a treat in the North Georgia mountains. The food, the rides, the scenery, and the people are pretty nice too!

I spoke with Chateau Elan a few minutes ago and they said that we will be there at the PEAK season for the grapes and the harvest! Of course, if I see you out there stomping grapes I believe I'll pass on the wine!

Oh, something else, since we will have the run of the place, I don't think that we will be required to dress "appropriately" while messing around the place. I told her that my blue jeans was going to be as formal as I will get! This is vacation man!

Anyway, I'm up for whatever. Let me know.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
pkpr1998 said:
Tom, let's do it! You can probably show me some roads that I may not have ridden. But you are correct, these boys coming from all over are going to be in for a treat in the North Georgia mountains. The food, the rides, the scenery, and the people are pretty nice too!

I spoke with Chateau Elan a few minutes ago and they said that we will be there at the PEAK season for the grapes and the harvest! Of course, if I see you out there stomping grapes I believe I'll pass on the wine!

Oh, something else, since we will have the run of the place, I don't think that we will be required to dress "appropriately" while messing around the place. I told her that my blue jeans was going to be as formal as I will get! This is vacation man!

Anyway, I'm up for whatever. Let me know.

sounds good, BTW I'm a Gallo I should know wine <g>
I look forward to seeing more of your area as well. I will Pm you my tele ok

Tom

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Where's Cupid? Oh, there he is!!!

Yessir...that's a real match made in heaven! An exharley-still a hippy-biker wannabe and a yuppy-rider wannabe-momma's boy! :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
messenger13 said:
Yessir...that's a real match made in heaven! An exharley-still a hippy-biker wannabe and a yuppy-rider wannabe-momma's boy! :D :D :D

your just jealous you live so far from these roads!

ya insta-Biker!

Tom <grin>

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Hippie? Momma's boy?

Yankees!

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
hehehehe, he's a has been hippie insta biker!

<big grin>
Tom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts