BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

06 K1200GT
I've added a J+M CB radio unit to the bike recently; which i've had on several other bikes. Because of the lack of the bikes ground potential, I had to purchase a firestik NGP(no ground potential) antenna for low SWR's, and mount it w/ a Givi box attached. I've previously had the antenna sitting on a fabricated bracket off the licence plate, and worked OK ,but I now have to extent it to accomadate the Givi box's width. I could extend it, but I'de like to see what others have done. I'm not sure how important the antenna's height is, but I think it should be higher than the shield.
Howie...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply; I've looked at the BMW site, and cant find a pic of this CB mount. It'll have to mount on a 06 GT. Where can i see it? I have to see if it'll work w/ a top box.
Thanks;
Howie...

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
Channing is assuming that you have an LT, so he's talking about the LT CB mount. Won't work on your GT. :(

Since I've only had my GT a week or so, I haven't yet pulled the entire thing apart (thought about it though :D). I'd say start looking for factory bolts around the rear rack and see if you can fabricate your own bracket.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Thanks for correction... wrong bike.

meese said:
Channing is assuming that you have an LT, so he's talking about the LT CB mount. Won't work on your GT. :(

Since I've only had my GT a week or so, I haven't yet pulled the entire thing apart (thought about it though :D). I'd say start looking for factory bolts around the rear rack and see if you can fabricate your own bracket.
Thanks, Meese.. and sorry for the BAD info..

I don't know what the GT CB mount would be. I'm thinking it can be done.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well; today I found the only way I could mount a antenna bracket to fit with the Givi box installed is to attach a 1"x1/4" aluminum bar across the two slide holes rear of the BMW top box rack. This is a rough attachement I did tonight for a test fit. I'll probally just trim the bolts and paint the bracket flat black. I used stainless hardware and 1/4" aluminum stock for the for the givi rack and the antenna mount. this mount only looks adaquate with all the luggage surrounding it; not so good w/o. Let me know what you think.
Howie...

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/mrichman333/?action=view&current=Annrena.jpg

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
That should work OK, Howard. My other thought was making a bracket that fit off the passenger grab handle bolts on one side, though I haven't looked at it too closely yet to see if that's feasible.

Let us know how you like the J&M CB unit. I'm considering one myself.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I put a J&M in when I first got my LT. Great product. The only problem I had was the connection for the SO when we were on our 6000 mile trip last year. When we got to Florida her intercom stopped working. When we got home I called J&M and let them know, thought I would have to pay to get it fixed, to my suprise they said send it back and they will fix it. It was about 2 years old at the time. Great service.

Garry

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
Garry, you're talking about the J&M unit with the built-in CB that sits above the clutch lever, right? Not the ComSystem used on earlier LTs? Are you happy with the intercom function as well as the CB use? What other music/radar/gps audio sources are you using with it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HowardRichman said:
Well; today I found the only way I could mount a antenna bracket to fit with the Givi box installed is to attach a 1"x1/4" aluminum bar across the two slide holes rear of the BMW top box rack. This is a rough attachement I did tonight for a test fit. I'll probally just trim the bolts and paint the bracket flat black. I used stainless hardware and 1/4" aluminum stock for the for the givi rack and the antenna mount. this mount only looks adaquate with all the luggage surrounding it; not so good w/o. Let me know what you think.
Howie...

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/mrichman333/?action=view&current=Annrena.jpg
Take a look at the other mount location! It's still in rough stage, but not sure if I'll keep it yet.

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/mrichman333/?action=view&current=Anntena.jpg

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ant Mounting

If there is any way, mount your antenna centered and as high as possible.
From that picture, you've greatly reduced your forward reception, which I think is very important. If you could move it up to at least the top or the sidebag you'll be much happier I would think.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
You have "proven" you can mount under the box... great idea =)

Now, if you were to stretch the center of the plate toward the rear, center for mounting and esthetics (sp?) while extending the plate the full length and width of the box, you would have a substantial ground plane...and good "front reflectivity".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts