BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As an update to this thread, I have a BMW (made by J&M) CB and a Zumo 665 GPS installed on my '09 LT. I have a specific question about the CB antenna now.

I have removed the AM/FM antenna many times; when I put the LT on the lift I have to remove the antenna because it hits hard against the ceiling. Knowing the CB antenna would do the same thing, I removed it today. I looked down into the antenna base and saw a very small white plastic tube with an even smaller copper wire inside - like the inside of a coax cable, but even smaller. I then looked up into the antenna (#8 in the photo below - the piece just unscrewed from the antenna base) and saw a similar tiny copper wire. It seemed I had just broken the antenna wire! It looked like the copper wire is supposed to slide into the plastic tube and make contact with the wire inside that, but that would be an awfully tenuous connection.

I put things back together and tested the CB radio. It worked.

So... what is this about? I see nothing mentioned in the BMW installation instructions about this. Is it OK to disconnect and reconnect the CB antenna as necessary, or should I leave it connected forever?

I would post photos of this but that means removing the antenna again. I don't want to do that until I know what this means.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would leave all attached except the mast. It is only held in place by set screws. Keep messing with the antenna base and coax you will break it like I did. Now I need a new coax cable. FYI.
:(

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tholdroaddog said:
I would leave all attached except the mast. It is only held in place by set screws. Keep messing with the antenna base and coax you will break it like I did. Now I need a new coax cable. FYI.
:(
That's what I'm wondering - have I already broken something...? Since it works - as it did after I put the mast and its holder back on the base - I assumed it was OK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts