BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a question for some of the old Gurus out there.

On early K1200LT's (< 07/2000) there is a Cat code plug.

What does the cat code plug do?
How does it do it?

The reason I ask, is K1200LT ECU's are very available on Ebay these days, and there's a BMW service letter about the high ambient temp throttle hesitation, that says the fix for a pre July 00 LT was to install an updated (dual map) ECU, then remove the cat code plug.

If you decide to install a "john's chip" in an early bike, you must use a later ECU, p/n 7 XXX XXX. Possibly one with a dual map.
......Cat code plug?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
might be referring to the plug under the seat with a grey cap. that is the diagnostic plug.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I believe the plug they are referring to is under the pillion seat and is yellow.

Attachments

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Yes That's it!

I would Love to get some info about it.
There really isn't much to know about it. It is a jumper block that with the right ECU, changes to a different map. One thread I read said that it enables slightly more aggressive timing and fuel when you roll on the throttle. Normally you wouldn't do this unless you had the hesitation and surging issue as it will affect your mileage also. It isn't drastic changes to boost power but small changes to improve rideability.

I haven't read a whole lot on this so others may chime in with better information.

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes....
It makes sense that it is a coding jumper (or config plug).....
I wonder what "cat" means.
Also, I believe it was only installed on Early K1200LT's with ECU numbers beginning with 1.

?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Yes....
It makes sense that it is a coding jumper (or config plug).....
I wonder what "cat" means.
Also, I believe it was only installed on Early K1200LT's with ECU numbers beginning with 1.

?
You will have to wait for one of the gurus like Sailor or jzeller and others to provide more in-depth info. I have exhausted my knowledge on that plug. I have not even looked to see if my 2001 has one installed. Mine rides fine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My R1150R was missing the yellow plug so I found the wiring diagram online to jumper the connections to simulate the plug was installed. This is an example, I'm not sure what bike exactly it is for, I found it with a google search of "bmw cat code plugs" and clicking "images"... fyi.

"CAT" code plug is a reference to the emissions system, or having a catalytic converter on your bike. Both of my bikes have a "cat" so I leave the system stock as to not have too rich a mixture that could damage the cat over time.

Attachments

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ok, I'm listening! I have a REMUS Genesis exhaust system, performance system with no catalectic anything on a 2000 K1200LT.

Q: Should I be changing the "JUMPERS" to match the configuration shown on the attached pic in the previous post for a Straight Thru Performance Exhaust?

I have no issues. I have a GS-911 and have read my codes. I do have the Air Temp Sensor unplugged and it does show on the GS-911 fault search, but I know this as a normal condition since I did purposely disconnect it. Drive-ability and idle RPM are fine IMO. ML

Attachments

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Ok, I'm listening! I have a REMUS Genesis exhaust system, performance system with no catalectic anything on a 2000 K1200LT.

Q: Should I be changing the "JUMPERS" to match the configuration shown on the attached pic in the previous post for a Straight Thru Performance Exhaust?

I have no issues. I have a GS-911 and have read my codes. I do have the Air Temp Sensor unplugged and it does show on the GS-911 fault search, but I know this as a normal condition since I did purposely disconnect it. Drive-ability and idle RPM are fine IMO. ML
First I would verify what version Motronic you have and if it has the multi mapping. Your GS911 will tell you what version you have but I am getting in my car and don't have the time to search on the different numbers for ECU and what they are. I know the info is in many threads and Sailor can probably recite the numbers from memory :)

If you have a single mapped unit, then it doesn't matter. I need to check mine also.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, Ok.
I pulled out the code plug to check its pin out, ....and looking at the wiring schematic in the Clymer manual, I can say that there is no difference between the earlier (pre 7/2000) yellow plug and the later (no yellow plug) brown wire loop.

They both provide a ground signal to pin 19 of the Motronic ECU.

So we know that with the later (dual map) ECU, the ground signal to, or absence of ground signal to pin 19, codes the ECU on which timing map to use.

On the earlier (single map) ECU, I have no idea what the ground signal to pin 19 does.

So in conclusion, the CCP provides a ground to pin 19, and so far, we don't know why.

Maybe John or David will chime in.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Or...... Maybe not.

Perhaps johnnya will find something useful.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Well, Ok.
I pulled out the code plug to check its pin out, ....and looking at the wiring schematic in the Clymer manual, I can say that there is no difference between the earlier (pre 7/2000) yellow plug and the later (no yellow plug) brown wire loop.

They both provide a ground signal to pin 19 of the Motronic ECU.

So we know that with the later (dual map) ECU, the ground signal to, or absence of ground signal to pin 19, codes the ECU on which timing map to use.

On the earlier (single map) ECU, I have no idea what the ground signal to pin 19 does.

So in conclusion, the CCP provides a ground to pin 19, and so far, we don't know why.

Maybe John or David will chime in.
It may be that it has no effect at all as it would be programing in the ECU to check for a signal ( or ground) on pin 19 and do some action like load an alternate map. This could be one of those times that something is installed " for future use" so one wiring harness can be installed on all the bikes. With only one map, I would suspect no action or the bike might simply not run with the plug removed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have pulled the airbox temp sensor wire on my 2000 LT, because I could not find any "yellow" cat code plug or brown wire loop.
However, today, when moving the top trunk back to it's rearmost mounting holes, I lifted the plastic panel under the top trunk mounting, I found a "yellow" plug under the panel. This is not under the rear seat, but about a foot farther back.

Big question: Is that the cat code plug?

If so, I'll reconnect the airbox temp sensor & pull the CCP.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have pulled the airbox temp sensor wire on my 2000 LT, because I could not find any "yellow" cat code plug or brown wire loop.
However, today, when moving the top trunk back to it's rearmost mounting holes, I lifted the plastic panel under the top trunk mounting, I found a "yellow" plug under the panel. This is not under the rear seat, but about a foot farther back.

Big question: Is that the cat code plug?

If so, I'll reconnect the airbox temp sensor & pull the CCP.
Did you read the links above? First thing you need to do is find out if you have the correct motronic before you pull the cat code plug. If you do not have the updated motronic then you should not pull the plug.

Copying from dshealey

First thing you MUST do is have the dealer print out a ModiTec readout to see which version of Moditec you have. If you do not have the updated Motronic, DO NOT pull the cat code plug!

According to the service bulletin, the new Motronic is installed on LTs with a build date of 07/00 and after. Yours is in this date, but no way to know if it has the correct motronic except by part number or ModiTec printout.

The Motronic unit can be identified by it's part number, earlier ones were:
13 61 1 465 194
or
13 61 7 655 478

The updated one is:
13 61 7 659 048

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
GS911 tells me that mine is the #.......194.
So, I'll leave it with the airbox temp sensor disconnected, & leave it at that.
Thx bmwcoolk 1200!

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200
1 - 18 of 18 Posts