BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inside the saddle bags there is some info on weight limits. If I'm reading it right it suggests that you can put 33 lbs in the trunk and 11 lbs on the trunk rack. But it seems to me I've seen photos of LTs loaded with more than 11 lbs on the rack. What have people found in practice can be loaded on the trunk carrying rack? Do I really need to limit it to 11 lbs? Or, did I misread that thing altogether? If you're carring luggage for two, even if you're travelling very light, there just does not seem to be much capacity.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Recommendations versus actual practice

gpolakow said:
Inside the saddle bags there is some info on weight limits. If I'm reading it right it suggests that you can put 33 lbs in the trunk and 11 lbs on the trunk rack. But it seems to me I've seen photos of LTs loaded with more than 11 lbs on the rack. What have people found in practice can be loaded on the trunk carrying rack? Do I really need to limit it to 11 lbs? Or, did I misread that thing altogether? If you're carring luggage for two, even if you're travelling very light, there just does not seem to be much capacity.
I have had in excess of 20 lbs on the top case rack (Paul Sayeh's HD rack adaption). This in addition to the side cases and top case being full of stuff and a couple of soft side saddlebags tied outboard of the LT's side cases. Camping gear for two, sleeping bags, tent, camp stove with propane tanks, and the kitchen sink.
You can load her up.

Exceeding weight recommendations changes handling, risks stuff breaking, tires popping, final drives exploding, and passengers falling off. None of these things happened to me, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Hauling a load

Use a lot of bungee cords when you get granny and her rocker on that trunk. She won't sit still!........... :histerica

·
Registered
704 Posts
I do not weigh my luggage...but...my wife has learned to pack "lite". None the less, there is a lot of weight back there. With the trunk, both side bags and the rack bag packed to the hilt, in 43000 miles I have never had a problem. Have a nice ride :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
i used to have both saddle bags and the top case packed to the gills i also has a large duffel bag packed on the top rack,,ill guess it was a total weight of 50 lbs,,now that im towing a trailer i think its much better for the bike to pull than to carry all that extra weight

·
Registered
216 Posts
Stopped at a closed truck scale on vacation. 1450lbs :eek:
SO needs to leave some of the neccesities at home :rotf:
(like that will happen)

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Both BMW and Ztechnik specify 5# as the carrying capacity of their top case racks.

5#? That's not much!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hschisler said:
Both BMW and Ztechnik specify 5# as the carrying capacity of their top case racks.

5#? That's not much![/Howard, where did you see that? That seems different from what I read inside the left saddle bag.]

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RaffyK said:
5Kg = 11 Lbs.[/Ah, I thought the # sign meant pounds. Well, 11 lbs is what I thought, but others on this forum have suggested they've carried more.]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts