BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well this sure doesn't fit anywhere else!!

I have an LT with a small tank bag and am thinking i would like to carry a small pistol of some sort.

does anyone carry on their bike? what do you carry? where do you carry it?

any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
see similar threads below.... glad we don't require that mentality out here in OZ though. :confused:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Depends on where I'm going. Commuting to work or around town I keep a .380 in my Teiz Suit pocket and a .45 in the trunk. If it's over 100 miles I will carry the .45 with a Galco over the shoulder holster under my suit. Just did a 10 hour 550 mile ride and couldn't even tell it was there.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Google is your friend. Search and read. Many good choices. Goldielocks size not too big, not too small such as S&W Shield, and Ruger LC9. Good for pocket holsters and tank bags. Many others. Plenty of reviews on You tube too.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been searching here and there. found good information. just wondering if there was something that "stuck out" amongst LT and other owners.

one time i was trying to sell a parrot i had. i could not find a buyer. was at the license bureau one day, and sort of jokingly asked the person i was talking with if she was interested in a parrot. the guy behind me, said he was.

you never know, unless you ask. :) :)

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Anything stainless. Taurus makes a nice little 22 magnum revolver but it holds too many rounds to carry it through New York. Wouldn't get too fancy with something you'll put in a tank bag. For what it's worth, mine is in the trunk if it's not on my person. You're not going to shoot while the bike's moving anyway unless you want to crash. That's TV crappola. Your ABS is your best friend if you're being bothered while moving.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Interesting. I was just talking at lunch today with a colleague about his experience riding home to Vermont recently on Skyline Drive in Virginia. He was stopped by a cop for speeding. The first thing the cop said was "keep your hands on the tank - are you carrying any weapons?". Friend said "of course not" and the cop said, " Well, most bikers we run into are carrying". Is that true?

...and if true, how many have had occasion to actually get it out and confront someone with it?

I have thought about carrying pepper spray or a "blunt instrument" on my long distance rides but never have. Am I being naive?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Springfield XDS (.45 cal.) in jacket pocket. It is one of the smallest .45's you can carry and it has very manageable recoil. Had carried a .38 derringer in the tank box but I haven't found a good place to carry one on the K1600 yet.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Taurus P111 9mm. It is within my reach 24/7 Off the bike it is in a Pistol Pack with my wallet & a few other things. On the bike depends & where I am going & If I have the top case or side bags on the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
rwbloch said:
Interesting. I was just talking at lunch today with a colleague about his experience riding home to Vermont recently on Skyline Drive in Virginia. He was stopped by a cop for speeding. The first thing the cop said was "keep your hands on the tank - are you carrying any weapons?". Friend said "of course not" and the cop said, " Well, most bikers we run into are carrying". Is that true?

...and if true, how many have had occasion to actually get it out and confront someone with it?

I have thought about carrying pepper spray or a "blunt instrument" on my long distance rides but never have. Am I being naive?
I wouldn't say "most" bikers carry but certainly a higher percentage than that of your average Walmart shopper. In response to your inquiry, three times for me over about thirty years. All within a couple miles of home. In my case I was assaulted with a paintball gun (night-time with multiple suspects), a pellet pistol (night-time with multiple suspects), and multiple suspects on foot from a vehicle (night-time). There's a pattern there if you look closely. Didn't need to shoot anyone, but was very nice to have the weapon and rapidly diffuse the A-holes.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow. that's something to make one nervous.

but leads me to ask: what were you doing out after dark? you should be in your house where you're protected by 4 walls (just kidding!!!)

good thing it just made them "go away". someone in another forum said today: point at their "nads". they get the strangest look on their face.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Seriously and I know that this fetish is a American thing, and that the rest of the world doesn't get it, but the only gun on a BMW that makes sense is this, everything else is simply not enough overkill.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Slammer said:
Seriously and I know that this fetish is a American thing, and that the rest of the world doesn't get it, but the only gun on a BMW that makes sense is this, everything else is simply not enough overkill.
If you choose not to carry, or don't have the freedom to do it, then don't. A reading of American history will tell you why many law-abiding citizens choose to exercise this right.

The original poster was asking for suggestions based on others' experience. It was only a matter of time before his thread was derailed; it always seems to go that way.

·
Registered
290 Posts
On my K1600GTL, my Ruger .380 LCP fits in the little cubby on the left side of the bike. On my former LT, I pocket holster carried it in a cargo pocket of my Kevlar lined and CE protected riding pants. And, no, I don't worry about it attacking and hurting me in a get-off.

My sawed-off shotgun and AR-15 sit in a specially built gun rack that sits on my top case. As far as the grenades go, I don't usually carry them due to their weight and taking up room better used for my 1000s of rounds of ammo.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
patrick2000 said:
"Seriously and I know that this fetish is a American thing, " You are correct it only exists here in the USA"
And the difference between being subjects or citizens!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm sorry I did not want to derail the thread, it's just something about carrying a weapon on a motorbike, it falls in the same category as Americans bitching about petrol (sorry gas) prices, for us €uropeans it's like running your fingernails over a blackboard, but you are correct it was a ass move on my part.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Glock 19 in my "Manbag" in one of the panniers.

Since it is next to impossible to shoot anything while riding and you don't want a gitoff and land on the damn thing I decided i only need it when I get off the bike like a Gas Station, Rest Stop, Starbucks,etc and chances are I will want to take my coat off at some of these locations and don't want the Glock staring folks in the face.

So my "Manpurse" comes in very handy in this situation. It holds all my Credit Cards, ID, Concealed Permit, cash, Glock and anything else I deem important.

As far as carrying and the good Old USA, HELL YA!:yeah:

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Slammer said:
I'm sorry I did not want to derail the thread, it's just something about carrying a weapon on a motorbike, it falls in the same category as Americans bitching about petrol (sorry gas) prices, for us €uropeans it's like running your fingernails over a blackboard, but you are correct it was a ass move on my part.
I hear you. Of course, I have to fan the flames by posting a reply. I just can't resist. :eek: I don't like letting some things go unanswered.

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Knife said:
On my K1600GTL, my Ruger .380 LCP fits in the little cubby on the left side of the bike. On my former LT, I pocket holster carried it in a cargo pocket of my Kevlar lined and CE protected riding pants. And, no, I don't worry about it attacking and hurting me in a get-off.

My sawed-off shotgun and AR-15 sit in a specially built gun rack that sits on my top case. As far as the grenades go, I don't usually carry them due to their weight and taking up room better used for my 1000s of rounds of ammo.
I assume you pack heavy when you anticipate heavy traffic. Do you go with heat-seeking missiles or laser-guided? I find that the older-technology Sidewinders are more affordable, and they mount up to the tipover wings without too much modification. The only issue is keeping your feet out of the way when they are launched. Talk about heat! :D

Apologies, Mike, for contributing to the hijack.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts