BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often have to carry things that are too big for the trunk, typically a large box. I've been putting them on the seat and using a net or bungees, using the side box handles as an attachment point. That doesn't always work well for the strap lengths, and it seems not so secure. Are there any good add-on strap options or other tips you guys have? I have a bungee net and a couple of adjustable/stretchy straps on the bike so far. I'm also considering some adjustable bungee cords.

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
I wuz thinking RPW (Racer Parts Warehouse?) carries Helen Two Wheels bags and straps, butt I don't see their sponsor page here now. You might try a search on that vendor and see what comes up - or google RPW. Good luck.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I use four "soft straps" that I wrapped aound the frame under the passanger seat. Two in front, two in back. I leave them tucked under the seat when not needed. When I need them, they are easily pulled out from under the seat, and I use regular compression straps with them to hold items on the passanger seat.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some straps around the frame rails are a good idea. Something around the middle of the top box is one area where it would be nice to have something, I'll have to look around for some discreet hooks or something.

The platform thing would be cool if carrying big stuff was more important than carrying passengers, but I often do both on the same day. My solution has to be easily carried and used/removed.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, also, an adjustable net would be a huge improvement. Anyone heard of that? The net is ideal since it keeps everything in place, but it's rarely just the right size.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
By what you are saying...You need a Bushtec Trailer. I used one for years. That maybe be your answer, as you can carry your passenger, and the trailer carries the load.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
ROK straps is what I use and I have a BMR flatbed also if I need a larger storage area.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, maybe I was unclear, what I want to do is be able to switch from passenger to one large box easily, not both at the same time. Example: Ride to the office with a passenger, pick up a server that has to be installed somewhere, and go. So the back seat is ideal, but the places to hook straps securely and conveniently are missing.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
calvarez said:
Well, maybe I was unclear, what I want to do is be able to switch from passenger to one large box easily, not both at the same time. Example: Ride to the office with a passenger, pick up a server that has to be installed somewhere, and go. So the back seat is ideal, but the places to hook straps securely and conveniently are missing.
I've got EXACTLY what you need, I just have never made a set for an LT yet. I'll just need to figure out a secure attachment point on the sides of the rear seat - should not be a problem.

These come with 1000 lb. test polyester strap (which is more UV resistant than nylon), vinyl protectors to keep whatever you're holding down from getting marred and a locking mil spec cam buckle. You could hold a keg of beer down back there with these and it would not budge.

Hmmm, maybe I'll whip some up this weekend.... I haven't made anything new for the LT in a while.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I've hauled many large items on my LT using bungee cords from WalMart. They have plastic hooks and work great. I buy them in 18", 24" and 32". Never had a problem and I still have both eyes. They're not fancy, though, just functional........... ;)

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
rattler50 said:
I've hauled many large items on my LT using bungee cords from WalMart. They have plastic hooks and work great. I buy them in 18", 24" and 32". Never had a problem and I still have both eyes. They're not fancy, though, just functional........... ;)
Yep, just like yo momma told you: "Someone's gonna' get an eye poked out".

Hey, that would have been funny, except it's not.

Oh well, as we say in Arizona: "It's your funeral": :rolleyes:

Bungee Cords - More Than Meets The Eye

....The usefulness of bungee cords is well known, but their potential for injury is not.

One of the characteristics of a bungee cord is its stored energy which can be suddenly released. The heavy elastic cords from which bungees are made contain tremendous force when they recoil, particularly when they’re stretched beyond their recommended limits. This sudden release of stored energy results in a high speed flailing hazard when:
  • the hook pulls out of the user’s hand as it’s being stretched into place
  • the hook disengages from the attachment point
  • the attachment structure fails
  • the hook straightens out
  • the cord breaks
  • the hook detaches from the cord
In each of these situations, the free end of the bungee cord can recoil at speeds of up to 60 miles per hour and produce significant injury or damage upon impact. The American Medical Association has called for warning labels to be placed on bungee cords, including information about the deterioration of the cords, which can cause them to snap unexpectedly. Cracks in the cords significantly increase the failure risks of the bungee.

The majority of bungee cord accidents involve the eye and are becoming an increasingly common cause of both severe and penetrating eye injuries. In one hospital study, more than half the patients seen in the emergency room for bungee cord-sustained eye injuries required hospitalization for treatment of their injury. Injuries included bleeding within the eye, lacerations to the eye, traumatic cataracts, and tearing or detachment of the retina from the back of the eye. Most victims with damaged eyes had a mild-to-serious loss of vision, some had no useful vision, and some had injuries that were so severe that their eye had to be surgically removed.....

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

Anyway, motorcycles are dangerous. You should stay off them if bungees worry you.

I only use plastic-ended versions, which should be quite a bit less damaging if it becomes a projectile.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Or for putting an eye out. :eek: Seriously.

Eye surgeons spend a lot of time attempting to repair eyeballs that have been smashed by bungee cords that have either broken or let loose unexpectedly. :(
:histerica Good one, Ron! How much tension are these geniuses putting on these eye-busting bungees? Are they wrapping them around their heads? Maybe if you are having that serious a problem with a bungee, you need a face shield? :D

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
+1 on the Helen Two Wheels LT-specific strap set up. Very well-made, functional, etc.

Regarding the BMR flatbed rack: once the brackets are installed on the LT, you can remove it or reinstall it in seconds. When it's not in use a passenger can still ride along.

In the scenario you describe, the only issue would be what to do with the rack while you are heading to the office with a passenger; maybe leave the rack at the office?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
jayjacobson said:
:histerica Good one, Ron! How much tension are these geniuses putting on these eye-busting bungees? Are they wrapping them around their heads? Maybe if you are having that serious a problem with a bungee, you need a face shield? :D
Geez Howie, you know I only put tin foil on my head :abduct:

OK, back to my other weekend project: making passenger seat belts for motorcycles.

...but I bet I'll make mo' money selling the T-shirts I'll use to market them:

"If you can read this the bitch fell off!" :D

Attachments

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Geez Howie, you know I only put tin foil on my head :abduct:....
Why of course, Jimmy, it protects from those "assault" bungees! 10 day waiting period, anyone? :confused:

Forrest: "Is that a full-auto bungee--ERR--stupid is as stupid does......" :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts