BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Though I have used it at a traffic light, on flat ground, there are safety reasons why I should not do this.

Just like how I should not a) stop too close to the car in front of me, and b) not be centered behind the car in front of me, I should not have a parking brake on (HH).

Always leave yourself an escape route, and don't ignore your mirrors. People on motorcycles DO get rear ended when stopped on the road, and I think it is best to be prepared to get out of the way, to save myself. Rare edge case? Yes... But it only takes one time of not paying attention to get seriously injured.

2 of my 3 kids are driving now, and they never forget the #1 rule I have drilled into their heads. "Always assume ALL other drivers are stupid". #2 is to always be looking out ahead of you, to anticipate hazards. So, I feel compelled to follow my own advice, and always be prepared to escape danger.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Are they saying the amount of holding pressure can be controlled by the user, or are they saying the system automatically senses the amount of brake pressure to be applied for a given activation so is not under the control of the user? It must be the latter but I suppose one might argue there is a range of levels of brake lever squeeze to get HS to activate, and pulls on the more extreme end of that range result in greater holding pressure, so in this instance the user does have control.
I can't speak to the system on the 1250, but on my 2018 1200RT I can regulate the amount of pressure that the brake applies with the pressure that I apply to the brake lever. Pulling it very hard means I have to give it lots of throttle to get it to release. Pulling it gently means less throttle to release it. In either case though, it seems that just flicking the brake lever with moderate pressure will get it to release.

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
If I could give it back I would. Never use it and never will.

I really wish it worked as seamless as my car. When I let off the clutch in my car and give it gas I have to do nothing different then if I was sitting on level ground.

If it was implemented as seamless I would love it, but compared to my 6 speed Honda it is a very bad solution to a problem that never existed for me on a motorcycle.

I would hope BMW cars work smoother then the bikes.

Reactions: PadG

·
Registered
34 Posts

I really wish it worked as seamless as my car. When I let off the clutch in my car and give it gas I have to do nothing different then if I was sitting on level ground.

If it was implemented as seamless I would love it, but compared to my 6 speed Honda it is a very bad solution to a problem that never existed for me on a motorcycle.

I would hope BMW cars work smoother then the bikes.
They do. The system is flawless on my 2010 Bimmer.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I first read of HSC I thought, "Why would anyone want or need this BS!" It sounded like a solution in search of a problem, something that a geek, who had never ridden a motorcycle would invent, to "make it better for all us poor, incompetent riders."

My habit when approaching a stop was to use the front and rear brakes to slow down, then as I came to a complete stop, to use only the rear brake. At the stop I'd keep my right foot on the brake lever and put my left foot down to support the bike. When the light changed, I'd release the brake, quickly put my left foot on the peg, and accelerate away.

When I purchased my new bike, HSC came on it and I just figured I'd never use it. Then one day as I climbed a moderately steep hill with a stop sign at the top of it, I noticed that a truck a few lengths in front of me was spilling its load of gravel over the top of the bed. I came to a stop in this gravel, there was no way around it, and I had to put both feet down to keep the bike as vertical as possible and to prevent my feet from sliding out on the gravel. I gave the front brake level a squeeze, activating the HSC. Now free from worry about the bike rolling back when it was my turn to move up to the limit line, I was free to concentrate on avoiding the deeper piles of gravel. I inched my way to the limit line, using the HSC each time, as the line of cars in front of me moved away, sometimes I used the throttle to turn off the HSC and sometimes I used the "flick the brake lever" technique. When it was my turn to go through the intersection, I just gave it more gas than usual and moved away. It turned what could have been a dicey situation into one that was easy and comfortable to handle.

I’m no longer a Luddite when it comes to HSC. Now I'm a fan. But then I'm also a fan of ABS, self‒cancelling turn signals, ESA and the rest of the suite of computer driven/assisted features.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I’m no longer a Luddite when it comes to HSC. Now I'm a fan.
It's very nice to have to free up your right hand if you don't put the bike in neutral at stops which I never do--I use it frequently. That it doesn't disengage seamlessly isn't a big deal, just wasn't expected. I enjoy all of the other tech features as well and they all work wonderfully. It's hard to fathom you can actually own all of this wonderment and have it work for you flawlessly. I keep expecting something to go awry but so far so good. Except my rear TPM's battery must be nearing its end of life.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can't speak to the system on the 1250, but on my 2018 1200RT I can regulate the amount of pressure that the brake applies with the pressure that I apply to the brake lever. Pulling it very hard means I have to give it lots of throttle to get it to release. Pulling it gently means less throttle to release it. In either case though, it seems that just flicking the brake lever with moderate pressure will get it to release.
Just to clarify things, I hope!

The 1250 has an inertial motion sensor that informs the traction control and ABS system about the bikes attitude and how much assistance is required to prevent wheels locking or slipping when braking or driving.

The same information is used to tell the hill hold system when the bike is on a slope. When the bike is stationary and on a slope, with the engine running the hill hold will operate if it is in automatic mode. Tellingly it only applies enough brake pressure to do the job so normally pulling away afterwards is much easier than on the 1200.

On a steep slope it applies plenty of brake pressure and you don't know it's even activated unless you look for the symbol on the screen, not necessarily a convenient thing to do in a busy traffic situation. This is what caught me out!

Using the hill hold manually it is a really useful feature, in auto mode I think it's a liability.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Agree, how many times have you had to act ‘faster than expected’ to avoid a potentially dangerous situation. If you were not aware that hill start control was engaged, you might force an engine stall at a time that would put you in danger !

·
Registered
113 Posts
Using the hill hold manually it is a really useful feature, in auto mode I think it's a liability.
Agree, how many times have you had to act ‘faster than expected’ to avoid a potentially dangerous situation. If you were not aware that hill start control was engaged, you might force an engine stall at a time that would put you in danger !
I agree that being surprised by this feature on automatic might be a very bad thing should stuff happen. If I had this system, I'd have it on "manual." Being surprised, as the OP was, I'd probably have tipped over too! I hope the Tour Guide sets them all on manual and explains the feature to new riders, giving them the option to shut it off completely.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Given the option I would give the Hill Holder and Shift Assist back. Only 19500 miles on the 16RT and I just don't care for it.

Reactions: LAF

·
Registered
103 Posts
On my 2016 I can feel it engage when I squeeze the brake lever. I find it totally predictable.
Never had anything like the experience you describe.

And yes, when used - it stalls more often than not. I hardly ever use it. The only exception is when I have to hold on an uphill for a long time. But I still disengage it and do the hill start the good old fashioned way with rear brake....

Not a feature I would recommend to any new buyers.

Maybe the newer models are better - but I doubt it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
On my 2016 I can feel it engage when I squeeze the brake lever. I find it totally predictable.
Never had anything like the experience you describe.

And yes, when used - it stalls more often than not. I hardly ever use it. The only exception is when I have to hold on an uphill for a long time. But I still disengage it and do the hill start the good old fashioned way with rear brake....

Not a feature I would recommend to any new buyers.

Maybe the newer models are better - but I doubt it.
The Hill Start is totally different on my 1250, on my 2014 I used to have to rev a lot to pull away and it was easy to stall it. On the 1250 its seamless and seems to work a lot better. Switched off the auto engage within 15 mins of buying the bike though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don’t think you can deactivate it on the 1200 since you have to give the brake lever a pretty hard squeeze to make it come on. I haven’t used it that much ,but when I do I kill the bike about 50% of the time when I take off. Needless to say I use it sparingly.
It is best to deactivate it before releasing the clutch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just to clarify things, I hope!

The 1250 has an inertial motion sensor that informs the traction control and ABS system about the bikes attitude and how much assistance is required to prevent wheels locking or slipping when braking or driving.

The same information is used to tell the hill hold system when the bike is on a slope. When the bike is stationary and on a slope, with the engine running the hill hold will operate if it is in automatic mode. Tellingly it only applies enough brake pressure to do the job so normally pulling away afterwards is much easier than on the 1200.

On a steep slope it applies plenty of brake pressure and you don't know it's even activated unless you look for the symbol on the screen, not necessarily a convenient thing to do in a busy traffic situation. This is what caught me out!

I second this post! The AUTO hill hold on my 1250 RT is a liability and nearly had me over twice in heavy traffic on a very hilly, winding road (near Cadwell Park for those Brits on here!) when I tried pulling away without enough throttle to overcome the brakes and the incline. On reaching my destination I selected MANUAL hill hold and that functions really well, far better than on my previous 1200 RT in fact and I use it all of the time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I wasn't a fan either but have gotten used to using it. At times I will intentionally engage it if I'm sitting waiting on an incline and want to let go of the bars as dlong0609 says above. I've learned to pay attention to the light and to engage and disengage it at will. I think doing that gives you the awareness of it and you automatically compensate (or disengage it) when it's time to move.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I use it every now and then. I always disengage before attempting to move.
before the light changes I’ll always disengage... and regrab brake.... but like most of you I did choke it down a time or 2

Reactions: Aussie Mark

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had my 2017 in for full service at 35,000 mile and they did the brake flush. My hill start control worked great before that and now it won't hold on steeper hills in San Francisco. They redid the brake job under warranty about 5 times and haven't fixed the problem. As anyone else had this problem? The dealer told me that the GS model had a new update to the computer for the hill start control, but not the RT as of yet.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts