BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd pass along an experience I had with the hill start control this past fall. My wife and I were on a tour of Spain and Portugal riding an R1250RT. We are winding our way through a little town on cobble streets and come to stop sign at a T. I stop and wait for pedestrians to clear then pull out for a left turn. I did not realize that the hill start control had activated. I stalled the engine and the bike went down. MY left foot was caught under the bike and I couldn't pull away. In a matter of seconds the pedestrians and guys from the corner bar were helping us pick up the bike. We thanked them as quickly as possible and mounted up to move on before a traffic jam developed.

That evening I described the situation to the tour guide. He took the bike for a spin and admitted that it seemed excessively touchy. He also said (and here is the rub) that the system comes on whenever the bike senses its stopped on a hill. I had never heard about this "feature" and I asked him if he could disable it which he did though the settings menu.

By the way when we returned the bikes to garage, the mechanic said he had a similar problem not realizing that the hill start control was activated and he also stalled the bike, but he didn't drop it.

I think this "feature" may be an example of technology being asked to solve a non-problem and causing more harm than good.

Reactions: rapz and Scimitar

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I agree, If I want to use the feature, I prefer to activate it, as needed. I appreciate the technology and the advantage it offers, but it is not needed at every stop on an incline, thus would become a bit aggravating to say the least.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have inadvertently activated the hill start control many times without knowing because I hit the brakes hard. Squeezing the lever hard activates them. I've stalled the bike because of this a few times. Now I look to see if it's activated before I take off.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
Thanks for posting that! I have the feature in my '15 RT, and don't like using it at all. I had thought that the feature had "improved" with the 1250, but it seem not. I was hoping for self-disengage, but clearly, that was not what you had experienced. I will find out for myself when I get my 1250 RT, and will most likely keep it turned off.

Reactions: LAF

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I think this "feature" may be an example of technology being asked to solve a non-problem and causing more harm than good.
I think it is theoretically useful, but it was not optimally implemented unfortunately. I use it frequently to give my right hand a break at stop lights as I never put my '16 into neutral at stops. If they changed programming to come on automatically when slopes are sensed that's absolutely crazy and reminds me of the 737 Max if you weren't forewarned about it! What needed done w/ Hillstart is to do a much more seamless disengagement at takeoff such that you couldn't tell any difference between when HS is on or off at take off. Release has become a little better w/ more miles or more experience but ultimately because it always feels to me like I'm going to stress the clutch too much so I rarely use it as it was presumably designed to be used. One is never sure exactly WHEN it's going to release is half the problem.

Reactions: andybrwn

·
Registered
448 Posts
As far as I'm concerned it's a solution in search of a problem. Yeah. I would be handy in certain situations but I've never needed it yet (as in I never had a bike so equipped) in 35 years of riding.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
466 Posts
If I lived in the hills of Colorado, I could see it being useful. But I live in North Dakota. Not only are there almost no hills worthy, real corners are few and far between...

·
Registered
436 Posts
The Hill control behaves differently from the wetheads and the new shiftheads.
It is possible to deactivate the auto function on the 1250. I don't remember the option to disable being available on the 1200.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The Hill control behaves differently from the wetheads and the new shiftheads.
It is possible to deactivate the auto function on the 1250. I don't remember the option to disable being available on the 1200.
I don’t think you can deactivate it on the 1200 since you have to give the brake lever a pretty hard squeeze to make it come on. I haven’t used it that much ,but when I do I kill the bike about 50% of the time when I take off. Needless to say I use it sparingly.

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
I don’t think you can deactivate it on the 1200 since you have to gave the brake lever a pretty hard squeeze to make it come on. I haven’t used it that much ,but when I do I kill the bike about 50% of the time when I take off. Needless to say I use it sparingly.
Yeah, I hate taking off from a stop with it activated as well. If I'm stopped on an incline and want to use it, I'll engage it (usually while waiting for a light to change), then disengage it and hold the bike with my foot brake just prior to taking off. For me, that's a much easier process than trying to rev it beyond normal to deactivate it. I watch the light and when the cross traffic signal changes to yellow, I'll disengage it.

I used it quite a bit when we lived in Seattle, where there are a lot of steep hill stops with long stoplights. Living now in Central Oregon, I seldom ever use it.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
I have a '17 1200RT and a '19 1250RT.

It rarely engages when I stop. When it does, I can feel it is engaged when I just start up. It feels the same on both of my RTs.

I am careful about it. If I know it is engaged I just squeeze the brake lever to release it before starting up again.

I have never found it engaged when I was starting into a turn. That could cause the problem mentioned at the top of this post. All I can suggest is to be aware of this feature and make sure it is not engaged if you are starting from a stop into an immediate turn.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like the automatic hill start feature on my 1250RT. When you stop on an incline it automatically enables the brake. I can take my hand off the front brake and no need to hold the rear brake with my foot. In addition the display shows a green H which let’s me know the hill start is enabled. When the light turns green and it’s time to go just put it in first gear and let out the clutch with a little more rpm and power through. The hill start disables itself pretty quickly.

That being said if I dropped my bike because i killed the engine I would be probably hate it. Like the OP said “be careful”.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I've just come from a 1200RT to a 1250. When I picked up the 1250 the salesman warned me about the hill start assist pro, particularly when attempting to duck walk backwards down hill into a parking space. It's not going to happen if the incline feature is enabled. I don't fancy being stuck out in the middle of a lane of traffic while I WTF!

Ian

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm not a big fan of hill start assist. I've always used the rear brake to hold on hills. With a fidgety rear passenger, I can see the value in it, but my wife is always well balanced. I do have hill start on my 128i. It is absolutely seamless. You'd never know anything was happening. It's very handy now that hardly anyone knows about manual transmissions, and pull right up to your bumper on hills.

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
I just remembered something that a 1250 owner said about the hill-hold. Apparently, the HH can be de-activate just by tapping on the foot brake. If that's so, then I can handle that. I just refuse to de-activate by a second squeeze on the front brake or ride through it at higher rev, which is the only options for the 1200s.

Another caution about HH is if you ever back your RT down a ramp off a trailer, and using the front brake to control the bike. One inmate of the other forum almost dropped his 1250 RT when he apparently squeezed the front lever a little too hard and the HH came on unexpectedly.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Apparently, the HH can be de-activated just by tapping on the foot brake.
I did not know that. I will test it to be sure as that would be good to have.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
I did not know that. I will test it to be sure as that would be good to have.
Jeff, my RT is sleeping for the winter. Please share your results!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use hill hold occasionally on my 2014 R1200RT. I know that tapping the rear brake disengages it and I think that a short squeeze on the front brake also disengages it. Due to this mornings snow my RT is also having a winter nap so I cannot confirm this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use hill hold occasionally on my 2014 R1200RT. I know that tapping the rear brake disengages it and I think that a short squeeze on the front brake also disengages it. Due to this mornings snow my RT is also having a winter nap so I cannot confirm this.
My '18 hill hold works the same way. I use it to rest my hand, fiddle with my helmet, tank bag, cell phone etc. I find it a useful feature but would not like the auto-engage described by shift-cam owners.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts