BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 2015 RT and have a BMW Communicator system (Vers. 3) fitted to my System 7 helmet. I'm very happy with it.
A friend with the same bike and helmet is tossing up between fitting the BMW Communicator system and a Cardo Freedom 4 single system. He asked me what I thought and I said:

All I can do is rate my BMW Communicator system.
1) It seamlessly integrates with the RT. Initial pairing with the bike seems straightforward, though I decided to take no chances and had the shop that fitted the system to my helmet pair the helmet to the bike and GPS.
2) After the initial pairing it reliably connects to the bike & the phone every time I get on the bike and turn the system on using the helmet mounted keypad. Dropouts are very rare.
3) The buttons on the control unit on the helmet can be a bit difficult to feel with a gloved hand, but that’s not a real problem because you use the wonder wheel to control music/radio selection, volume & advance/repeat/ previous track selection with the display on the bike’s instrument panel showing what you are doing. This too is seamless.
4) The quality of the sound is much improved with the new Communictor system though I’d like to listen through those JBL speakers that are part of the Cardo system. Volume is better than adequate but that is using the Werks Quietride screen, there’s certainly more wind noise with the OEM screen.
As you can see I’m happy with what I’ve got, but I would say that wouldn’t I!
It would be nice to know how well the voice command works because trying to do it all through a keypad would be a nightmare. Why don’t you start a thread on the BMWLT forum!

So I started the thread for him.
Does anyone have any experience with the Cardo Freedom 4 single unit on an RT?

Ian (& Wayne)

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
I also have a 2015 RT with the BMW Communications System built into my Schuberth helmet. A few observations:

1. When I'm riding with my wife as pillion, we use the BMW System (installed when the bike was new) primarily for communication with each other. I do have a thumb drive loaded with music, but frankly the music sounds so bad through the BMW system it's almost not worth listening to.

2. Two years ago, I installed the Motochello system on the bike with direct connection to the Alpine audio. Incredible improvement in the sound quality and this is what I use when riding by myself (plugged into my in-ear monitors). No comparison between this and the BMW Communications system...the audio is MUCH improved with the Motochello.

3. Last summer, I did a ride through CO, WY and MT with three other friends. Two of them already had the Cardo systems on their helmets so for ease of bike-to-bike communication, I and the other friend installed Cardo JBL systems in our helmets (not my Schuberth but an Arai I also have). The bike to bike communication was flawless and the Cardo also allowed me to bluetooth music/calls from my phone. The audio with the JBL speakers is very good, but the Cardo also gave me the option of plugging in my in-ear monitors.

If I were shopping for a new system, it would be an easy decision for me...the Cardo. Easy to use, functions flawlessly and very easy to install.

My .02 worth.

Reactions: MacBM and garr2

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
52 Posts
I ride a 2020 RT and have the Cardo Freecom 4+ in my HJC helmet. Both my wife and son also ride, wife on an HD Ultra and son on a Kawa 650ABS and we have all had good luck with the Cardo equipment.

The only thing that I pair the unit with bike-wise is the Nav VI GPS, but it is also paired to my iPhone X and it works very well. However, I have no experience with the BMW system so I don't know what (if any) features I could be missing there.

Larry

·
Registered
81 Posts
My wife (pillion) and I use Freecom 4+ units. Mine is BT'd to my Android phone and functions just as it should. The built in radio on the Freecom is amazing...I get better reception in my helmet than from the radios in my home. Listening to music through the JBL speakers is good, but I use 32db foam earplugs, so I have the volume turned up close to max. The voice commands work reliably and allow me to control my listening environment without taking my hands off of the grips. The voice recognition does go to sleep after a long period of non-use during a ride, but the buttons are easy to feel even with winter gloves on. The VR can activate "Hey Google" so that I can ask for navigation, or for it to make phone calls that I call out by name from my contact list. The Freecom also has speed-dial built in, but it's limited to a few numbers (sorry, I only use one and don't remember how many). As a rider/pillion communicator the unit really shines. We talk our way through long trips and when she (wife) gets tired of listening to me, we can share music. We use the boom mics and the wind/noise cancelling which is excellent, never suppresses our voice audio. We've used the communicator system all day long on tours and have never run out of battery. But, if we had, the unit still works while charging. And, by asking: "Hey Cardo, battery status?" The unit will tell you what percentage of charge is available. The build quality is top notch and installation can be done with tape or a clamp helmet mount which are both included in the kit. If needed, let's say I want to pair with my phone and a BT radar detector, the Freecom allows for two devices simultaneously. I use Sygic GPS for touring trip navigation because of the offline maps, so for my needs, my phone does it all. And my Freecom 4+ makes it all really, really simple.

·
Registered
2017 BMW R1200RT Carbon Black Mettalic
68 Posts
Add me as a Freecom 4+ user too. Mine is paired to a Nav 5 GPS and to my iPhone X. I get full functions with Siri. When I had my 1600GT I had it paired to the system for a short time. Can't say I miss having a radio though :). Is there any other reason to have it?. It works perfectly for anything you need and with voice commands, so, set :).?.

Tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts