BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who has difficulty reading the LCD screen? In the daylight I can barely make it out unless the sun is shinng directly on it. With sunglasses or with my sun visor down, It almost completely washes out. No problem at night with contrast set to high but I sure would like a LED screen.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Eric, if your sunglasses and/or dark visor use"polaroid" type lenses - the ones that remove most of the glare - then that may be a contributing factor in your difficulty in seeing the LCD screen.

I was caught out this way a few years ago - I purchased a Citroen C2 VTR car - lovely little car, with an LCD digital dash. Everything went well until the first time that I used my polarised sunglasses....the LCD readout was unreadable! I then acquired a set of non - polaroid lenses and things were back to normal.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
That screen is the pitz. I rank it right up there with the stock seat. BMW obvisouly never rode this bike, or if they did the sun was not shining and they did not ride for more than an hour on the seat. It is just terrible that I cannot see anything on that screen unless I stop, or turn around and go the opposite direction to reduce glare. I am wondering if a speeding ticket can be argued because you can't see anything on the screen?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Noticed the same thing on a couple test drives I've taken. I just chalked it up to the sun beating down on the screen. Hmmmmm.....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not that it fully solves the problem, but the brightness of the LCD screen is adjustable (just in case anyone's not aware of that).

·
Registered
14 Posts
The designers ruled with this one. TOO BAD. I need contrast. I know its just me but aircraft instruments are what I like. The Orange is a poor choice at best. On my '08 I installed the K bike Bezel and some anti glare film. OK at this point.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I always had some trouble reading my screen in the sunlight as well but always delt with it. My riding jacket was a Tourmaster that was silver in color. Then I got a new jacket in black. The black jacket made it much easier to read the screen since it wasn't reflecting as much light as the silver jacket.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've got the brightness turned all the way up and it doesn't really help.

I've got no problems with the layout, it's great, but in many cases you just can't see it. Yes, it's a contrast problem and I think the only way you could solve the problem is if you had a white background with the readouts in black.

Second for me is my old eyes. I wear 150 reading glasses and sitting on the bike without glasses, I can't really make out the number on the speedometer. One would think that BMW would be aware of the demographics of those who purchase certain bikes and say to themselves that since most of the guys buying RTs are older, it might be a good idea to at least do what we can to make the numbers larger. For a long time I would just look at the needle position and guesstimate my speed.

Recently I went an purchased some progressive lenses, and once I got used to them, they work excellent. I can see the speedometer and tach and even the digital readout is much clearer.

So that might be a temporary solution for some.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I thought I was the only one to have troubles reading the display. That is the only one drawback that I found till now. It is amazing why BMW engineers have not utilized the great progress in the lcd screens during last decade. Strange.

The good thing here is that both revs and speedometer are with gauges. Its more easy to keep an eye to the gauge position (knowing at which speed or revs correspond), rather then to read fugures on the display.

And next jacket of mine will be black in front

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I just don't have this problem. I wear progressives that are photochromatic and non polarized. Could be the BMR co-pilot shelf. But even before I installedit, I don't remeber struggling with the LCD

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
This is one of my "you blew it" peeves with the R12RT design (headlight bulb mounting being another one). I bought a second piece of the same anti-glare plastic I installed on my iPad (works great there!) but I haven't tried putting it on the instrument panel yet. The plastic cover for the instruments is actually a little convex so the plastic sheet may not go on easily.

JayJay

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I wear a hi-viz mil-spec yellow coat and it is so reflective it is simply impossible to see the screen.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
The only time I cannot see mine is when I park it with the sun facing the dash. It wipes (washes) everything out including my older gps.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Anybody betting the next RT has the GT/L screen setup?

I generally use the GPS readout as my speedometer anyway, so no biggie for me with the reflected light problem.

The GPS is a Garmin 478 that mostly is visible all the time, but in strong direct sunlight and reflecting a bit of my yellow/orange Olympia jacket it gets a bit washed out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So that answers my question; I'm not the only one having trouble seeing the screen. Went to the eye doctor today who says I now need cataract surgery. Maybe that will help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
OregonRider said:
Went to the eye doctor today who says I now need cataract surgery. Maybe that will help.
Wont help me Bud! I cant see the screen either and I dont need an eye op :rotf:
(But still feel for you needing the op! :( )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts