BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 03 1200lt and cant get starter to work.I researched on here and reprogrammed fob etc. because battery was dead.Fuel pump comes on and when you hit button led on bars comes on.I'm new to this bike so i have no idea what alot of stuff is for.Could it be the alarm system itself ? Thanks in advance for any help.Rich

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Hi and welcome.

Might be a good idea to finish filling out your profile. Someone close could possibly help you out.

I'm assuming you've checked the simple stuff.

Battery fully charged and clean connections,

Side stand UP!

The red lever(emergency stop) ontop of the right handlebar is in the center position

I always start in neutral first thing of a morning, so is your neutral light on on the dash?

If that doesn't help, then you have another problem somewhere. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've double checked and gone over everything and nothing.I was able to get starter to turn engine over with my battery charger hooking it up to insulated post.But i didnt have power to rest of bike as battery is dead.Have a new one coming but until then i want to get it running or at least fire up.Would the alarm system be bad ? I dont want to start hacking wires if i dont have to.FYI this bike was sitting for 2 yrs. so i dont know if that would matter to battery in alarm system ?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
vernvernvern said:
Hi and welcome.

Might be a good idea to finish filling out your profile. Someone close could possibly help you out.
+1

Glad you found us.

·
Registered
683 Posts
richierichr1 said:
I've double checked and gone over everything and nothing.I was able to get starter to turn engine over with my battery charger hooking it up to insulated post.But i didnt have power to rest of bike as battery is dead.Have a new one coming but until then i want to get it running or at least fire up.Would the alarm system be bad ? I dont want to start hacking wires if i dont have to.FYI this bike was sitting for 2 yrs. so i dont know if that would matter to battery in alarm system ?
Patience Grasshopper!! These bikes are sensitive enough to a low battery condition, but a completely bad battery.....My advice is to get a new battery, and make sure it is fully charged, then install it and try again with the starter etc......What is the rush anyway? If you were that much in a hurry, why not go down to the store and buy a new battery rather than wait for one to be delivered?? PS. I wouldn't try starting the bike with a battery charger instead of a fully charged battery....there is a computer in there somewhere that makes everything work nicely...if you make smoke come out of it...things don't work at all. :rotf:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
Your alarm could be an issue since it does have an internal battery that may be shot now after sitting. But first get a new battery installed and then attempt to cycle the alarm with the FOB. It is an 03 so the left button both arms and disarms the alarm. You may have to cycle through arm - disarm several times(20 or more) to get the FOB synced back up in the rolling code. If you fail in success on this then we can address bypassing the alarm (need to jump two pairs of wires at the alarm).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL its a new toy so i cant wait.I did just take my R1 out for a speed fix.Only reason i ordered a battery is i'm a parts dealer.I hear ya on computer smoke from electrical parts are never good.This thing has alot of things on it i have no clue.Whats the thing on left bar with a clock looking pic and you can switch it on and off.One way shows a red light ? Theres also a button on right that says BR ? Another dumb question is how do you know what radio station is on ? I test drove a 06 and thought it was on a center lcd but i guess this older one doesnt.Anyways thanks for the help so far :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
Cruise control on the left bar. Sure that BR isn't a BC? That cycles the Board Computer (left side of the dash ) for Air Temp, MPG, MPH and Miles to E.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I can't help with the alarm.

You can try disconnecting the ground wire and then charging the battery a while with a regular charger. If the battery takes a chargem finish it with the trickle charger. Come to think of it if your going to replace the battery any way, charge it up with a regular charger.

Once you get the alarm straightened out you can try starting it with jumper cables to a car that is running.

When a bat goes dead, or when you disconnect a bat you will have to do a throttle re-set--with the ignition on, open a close the throttle three times. Huuuum. Been so long since I've done that--it might be without the key being on?

Have to look it ip.

Bob

·
Registered
683 Posts
Many questions may be answered with a new fully charged battery in place...for radio, press ON button, information magically appears in lcd screen, (but not without fully charged battery)...see attached file for all the latest information about the radio operation....

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the responses looks like i found right site to be on :) I looked at my dash and where radio lcd would be looks like a plain white sticker ? I do have BC not BR.I'll have to see if i can get a owners or service manual.

What do you guys run for tires ? Its got metzler 880 on there now but it'll need new ones soon.Looks like there are very few choices for the rear.

I also looked local today for a battery since i'm antsy to get it running but no luck.So i have to wait 2 more days :(

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
On the top of the page, under the BME roundel is "Forums". Click on that and another page appears. Scroll down the page and you'll find one labeled as "Tires".

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66

And no, there aren't many options. The tricky thing with the LT is the rear tire. There are a few tires the same size as ours but they can't handle the LTs weight.

Bob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i got good news.Charged new battery and installed and hit fob once and then starter button and wala it started.Glad it was just that but cant believe it wouldnt pop off with a charger.It seems to run nice but did notice some oil coming out of very front exhaust pipe where it bolts to engine.I didnt want to run it to long without seeing if thats normal from sitting or maybe being on its side ?

·
Registered
683 Posts
See how critical that fully charged battery is.......as you have indicated yourself, the bike being on its left side for any length of time will cause oil to escape around the rings, and could leak out around the exhaust, fairly rare, although all that cranking with a bad battery could have caused some oil to be blown out the exhaust. If when you start the bike and smoke blows out the exhaust, that is a normal occurance and will stop smoking after a minute...The main thing is does the motor run well, does it sound like all cylinders are firing? clean the oil residue off the exhaust manifold, the get a few hundred miles on it, and check if there is oil buildup again..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.