BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I am not wearing out my welcome here at this forum with all my questions, but after reading a lot of threads, FAQs and Wisdom, I come up with another question.

My '02 LT (34,000 miles) is exhibiting none of the problems associated with the carbon can. Is this something that I should consider removing, pre-emptively anyway? Seems easy enough to do while I am doing other things. Is it just a matter of time before they exhibit? We are planning a long trip this spring, and although I know I can't predict everything that might go wrong on a complicated bike like an LT, a little preentive surgery seems appropriate.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,429 Posts
FWIW I left mine in my 05 for 7 years and 70K - never had a problem. I did remove it when I needed room for an on-board air compressor. Just be aware of what can happen if raw fuel does get back to it. You can always do a mini canisterecomy on the road by removing only the rear seat and pulling the vent line loose there as there is a connector (pull apart) should you get the rush of air in the tank.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I say go for it, since you don't live in CA. They are talking about smog insections here sooner or later on motorcycles (they have been talking for some time, so who knows). Just keep the cannister, in case you have to put it back on.

The #1 issue caused is if you over fill the gas tank. Fuel may get sucked into tthe cannister, which clogs it, and causes all kinds of fun. If you leave it on, just don't fill your tank beyond the bottom of the filler neck, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Get it out. Fix it before it causes a problem. Save it in case you need it later for an inspection...Its very easy.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Cochinosucio said:
Get it out. Fix it before it causes a problem. Save it in case you need it later for an inspection...Its very easy.
+1 here! You don't need to remove it. Just disconnect the hoses and plug them leaving the cannister in place.

It is so nice to just fill the tank to the brim and not have to worry about the thing stalling on you because the cannister is full of fuel.

BTW disconnecting the hoses and plugging them will take less than 15 minutes of your time.

Loren

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I say leave it in. Just check the hose below your right side case from time to time to make sure it is not clogged. Besides capturing fuel fumes the cannister also acts as a filter for the air entering the fuel tank as it empties. While I don't know for certain that this would ever be an issue, I figure the cleaner I can keep the inside of the tank the better off I will be.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
I say leave it in.
+1. Mine never gave me any problems in ten years and 100k miles.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
If it ain't broke , don't fix it :wave

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Patric said:
Like the final drive? The problems associated with a plugged cannister are infinitely more likely than a FD failure. Like an FD failure it is possible you could be left along side the road. Engine blubbers and stalls due to plugged cannister, battery a little old/discharged and you could be waiting for a tow.

So easy to just plug the hoses and be done with it.

No worries!

Loren

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I pulled mine from my 02 and then didn't give it another thought. It's too easy to over fill the tank and it's like tonsils. Not needed and in the way. Use the space for something else.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Patric said:
Preventitive maintenance is rule number one in my book.

·
Registered
494 Posts
wa1200lt said:
+1 here! You don't need to remove it. Just disconnect the hoses and plug them leaving the cannister in place.

It is so nice to just fill the tank to the brim and not have to worry about the thing stalling on you because the cannister is full of fuel.

BTW disconnecting the hoses and plugging them will take less than 15 minutes of your time.

Loren
Loren, which on of the lines do you plug if I were to just leave everything else on the LT???

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I am at work but here is what I remember. Sitting on the bike the right side is the throttle side.

Remove the passenger seat and on the right side just before the top case you will see a hose about 1/4" in diameter. This one you re-route and point toward the ground to vent the tank. On the left side is the hose that goes down to the fuel rail. There is a plastic splice piece where you can disconnect the hose to the rail. This is the one you want to plug.

A search for cannisterectomy should give you pictures. It really takes just a few minutes.

Loren

·
Registered
494 Posts
wa1200lt said:
I am at work but here is what I remember. Sitting on the bike the right side is the throttle side.

Remove the passenger seat and on the right side just before the top case you will see a hose about 1/4" in diameter. This one you re-route and point toward the ground to vent the tank. On the left side is the hose that goes down to the fuel rail. There is a plastic splice piece where you can disconnect the hose to the rail. This is the one you want to plug.

A search for cannisterectomy should give you pictures. It really takes just a few minutes.

Loren
Thanks Loren I will check on the pics.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I searched and searched for this canister on my '05, but alas, it just was nowhere to be found and no evidence of it ever being there. I've been told that Australian spec K12's don't have it, so it is obviously not needed. I regularly squeeze every last drop into the tank and never smell a fume, so all must be good. I'm about to purchase a stop 'n go 12 volt compressor from the US, will that fit somewhere under there ? Any pics anyone ?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
K100Dennis said:
I searched and searched for this canister on my '05, but alas, it just was nowhere to be found and no evidence of it ever being there. I've been told that Australian spec K12's don't have it, so it is obviously not needed. I regularly squeeze every last drop into the tank and never smell a fume, so all must be good. I'm about to purchase a stop 'n go 12 volt compressor from the US, will that fit somewhere under there ? Any pics anyone ?
Hey, Dennis - ping Stevie (katnapinn) and ask him if he still has pics of the compressor he installed where his cannister had resided. Nice and clean job - I oughta do that too; ole Toad's cannister is gone; just never have gotten around to installing and routing the hose for the compressor. Good luck with your install.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Sorry I couldn't find the post with pictures but this thread has, an excellent verbal how to contained in one of the posts:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12818

Instead of removing the canister I just disconnected at the fittings, plugged the one on the left side and routed the one on the right side down toward the bottom of the bike. No trunk removal necessary. Leave the fittings on the canister side open to the atmosphere.

Hope this helps,

Loren

·
Registered
498 Posts
Ok, facing forward.
* The hose coming out of the canister going up the LEFT side of the frame (going towards the intake)- remove it with the FIRST plastic coupler you get to and set aside. ( about even with the back seat bolt point)..PLUG THAT LINE going forward.
* Disconnect the line coming off the canister going overboard to the rear wheel well. Take the rear wheel access cover off. (license plate mounting plate) Get as much slack on that line as you can. Connect the coupler and hose to the top of that drain.
* Disconnect the hose on the RIGHT side of the frame (to the gas tank), at the first coupler. Use the now long vent hose you pieced together to connect to the gas tank vent line.
* Remove Canister
* DONE.

The reason for the routing of the gas tank drain line to the original drain is for precaution. Try not to put the drain FORWARD of the rear brake. In case of some freak event, I would hate for gas to get that hot brake soaking wet with gas..... Just sayin.....

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Dick said:
Hey, Dennis - ping Stevie (katnapinn) and ask him if he still has pics of the compressor he installed where his cannister had resided. Nice and clean job - I oughta do that too; ole Toad's cannister is gone; just never have gotten around to installing and routing the hose for the compressor. Good luck with your install.
Dick - I was going to do this too, but changed my mind and just added the compressor to what I call my vehicle grab bag. It has a small compressor, tire patching kit, bike tie down straps, first aid and other assorted tools that I might need on the road if I'm on the bike or SUV.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
DanDiver said:
Dick - I was going to do this too, but changed my mind and just added the compressor to what I call my vehicle grab bag. It has a small compressor, tire patching kit, bike tie down straps, first aid and other assorted tools that I might need on the road if I'm on the bike or SUV.
Kinda what I did, Dan. I guess that's prolly why I've never gotten around to installing the thing like Stevie did. I've got one of the early model, smallish, Slime air pumps that fits where the original tool roll used to - figger as long as I have a pump, I won't get a flat - butt, you never know who else might need it on the side of the road! ;) ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts