BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a 2009 LT. Got it in November and haven't had much chance to ride due to weather and work. Do the knowledgeable members of this forum recommend the removal of the canister? It is stilll under warranty. I am careful when I fill the tank but have read where it can suck water up the vent hose.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Welcome to the zoooooo.... My guess is that a lot of K1200LT owners do this. It was one of the first things that I did with the help of the information gleaned from this forum. I don't see the point of having something like the canister that can too easily get clogged up. Look down at the "simular Threads" for additional tips and how to do it. Saves having to do a "search."

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Mine was fine and caused no problems for 6 years. I finally removed a perfectly good one to install a nice air compressor I had sitting for two years waiting for it to fail. Just needed the space.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dano thanks for the reply and the welcome.
Jzeller thanks for the reply.
I have done the research and have printed out the removal instructions.
Suppose that I will perform the removal this weekend. After all it is too wet to ride.
Dano, if I get down your way would love to visit the Aquarium. Do you still clean the tanks?

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Hi Gary,

Just get with me before you head down to Tampa and I'll get you behind the scenes..... When I'm not scrubbing coral and gathering fish poop, I'm one of the safety divers in the shark tank. I'd be happy to take you on a tour...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Canisterectomy complete. Actually I left the canister in place just removed and plugged the tube to the fuel rails and re-routed the vent tube along with the battery vent tube.
As Dan said no reason to leave something in place that could cause a problem.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I hope you didn't void your warranty by doing that too soon..

Most wait till the bike is out of warranty... Screwing with the emissions system while under warranty may be bad juju....

I guess it really depends on your dealer... Some look for an excuse to void the warranty...

The way you have it now.. You can just hook it back up before going to the dealer.

John

·
Registered
349 Posts
Under federal law, a vehicle modification doesn't void your warranty unless it is clearly related to the reported failure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts