BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when totally removing all plumbing for the canister, what is to be done with the electrical plug that plugs into the do-hicky over by the throttle bodies?

just unplug it and zip tie it out of the way?

i plan to cap the vacuum ports on the bodies.

this is the part I am talking about...

thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Think you getting far more involved that most of us have ?
Typically all you need to do is Remove carbon canister under trunk, slice two hoses together having vent from tank connect to drain tube and plug the third. That's how I remember it ... tho 6 + years ago.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Yes - Just unplug it and zip tie the plug out of the way.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
amarider said:
Yes - Just unplug it and zip tie the plug out of the way.
thanks thats what i needed to know.

motorhead,
I'm far from typical.... ;)

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I wrapped the unused plug with electrical tape to keep road dust out of it, then zip tied it down.

I left the vacum connections between the injector bodies because I didn't know if they might play a role in balancing pressures.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
CharlieVT said:
I wrapped the unused plug with electrical tape to keep road dust out of it, then zip tied it down.
+1 :thumb:

CharlieVT said:
I left the vacum connections between the injector bodies because I didn't know if they might play a role in balancing pressures.
No significant cross-TB flow there; I removed this last bit of hose and installed nipple caps to eliminate yet another stretch of rubber tube to age/crack/vacuum leak.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I also had removed the entire hose assembly and replaced with individual nipple caps like Mark, but not BMW caps. So what, you may say? Well last year at CCR I had some serious problems with my LT and some of them could have been vacuum related. Nickwackett Garage found that my aftermarket (Napa I believe) caps had expanded some (due to heat possibly) and appeared to be a little loose. We ended up replacing them all with the BMW style caps, and they do seem a bit firmer. Just be aware that even the individual caps can possibly give you problems down the road.

And, like Curtis, I also taped over the plug you ask about and simply tied it out of the way.

John
mneblett said:
+1 :thumb:

No significant cross-TB flow there; I removed this last bit of hose and installed nipple caps to eliminate yet another stretch of rubber tube to age/crack/vacuum leak.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
AlaskaFish said:
I also had removed the entire hose assembly and replaced with individual nipple caps like Mark, but not BMW caps. So what, you may say? Well last year at CCR I had some serious problems with my LT and some of them could have been vacuum related. Nickwackett Garage found that my aftermarket (Napa I believe) caps had expanded some (due to heat possibly) and appeared to be a little loose. We ended up replacing them all with the BMW style caps, and they do seem a bit firmer. Just be aware that even the individual caps can possibly give you problems down the road.

And, like Curtis, I also taped over the plug you ask about and simply tied it out of the way.

John
John's experience is the reason I now get these from my dealer. Note, the BMW caps will also deteriorate over time, but not nearly as fast. They will last even longer if infrequently disturbed. I use the same caps on my airheads' vacuum ports, and regular carb syncs on those will reduce the caps' lives to ~3-4 yrs in my experience. On the LT, I'd expect them to last on the order of a decade before needing replacement.

I, too taped up and stashed the wire -- tucked it up behind the left fan wire harness behind the left radiator duct, IIRC.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
AlaskaFish said:
........last year at CCR I had some serious problems with my LT and some of them could have been vacuum related. Nickwackett Garage found that my aftermarket (Napa I believe) caps had expanded some (due to heat possibly) and appeared to be a little loose. We ended up replacing them all with the BMW style caps, and they do seem a bit firmer. Just be aware that even the individual caps can possibly give you problems down the road......
I was thinking the same thing when caps were mentioned. I have used rubber caps from autoparts stores for various applications. In my experience they deteroriate faster than qood quality hose. No doubt good quality caps can be found, I just don't know how you know if you have good ones or not.

And those folks talking about Airheads.... have you noticed that the original rubber on a 1970s BMW lasts longer than the rubber components supplied by BMW as new replacement parts? By a factor of 10 in my experience. I mean, I've replaced mildly cracked 30-40 year old rubber with brand new BMW replacement parts and watched the new stuff rot in a couple of years. Just sayin......

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,979 Posts
I put the nipples over the tubes on the throttle bodies & put a zip tie on to keep them on in case of a back fire. I take mine apart often enough to check them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts