BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the K1600GTL has a "canister" and what are your thoughts on removing it, if it does exist? Just guessing that there is one, but somehow it is tied or wired to the bikes electronics and can't be removed. Then we get into being extra careful on fill-ups.

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
I imagine it has the same charcoal canister as the Slant/4 bikes, and as the LT, for that matter. So the same rules and recommendations would apply there. :)

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
meese said:
I imagine it has the same charcoal canister as the Slant/4 bikes, and as the LT, for that matter. So the same rules and recommendations would apply there. :)
Guess that'll leave room for a small compressor.

Have you seen the tool "kit" under the seat? One small screwdriver and I wonder what that is for?

·
Registered
193 Posts
meese said:
For those of us new to BMW's, what rules and recommendations are you referring to?

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Raaze12 said:
For those of us new to BMW's, what rules and recommendations are you referring to?
Over filling the bike can cause fuel to inter the Canister & clogging it. This can cause a vapor lock in the fuel tank & collapse the plastic tank damaging the fuel sending unit on the K1200LT. Most folks remove the canister & some install a small compressor in place of it as I did.

·
Registered
193 Posts
katnapinn said:
Over filling the bike can cause fuel to inter the Canister & clogging it. This can cause a vapor lock in the fuel tank & collapse the plastic tank damaging the fuel sending unit on the K1200LT. Most folks remove the canister & some install a small compressor in place of it as I did.
Got it, thanks. How often does this happen?

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
Raaze12 said:
How often does this happen?
That depends. How often do you overfill the bike? ;)

There's also an occasional issue on the LT of getting the fuel nozzle deep into the tank and pulling it sideways such that it hits and dents the fuel float tube, thus causing problems with reading the fuel level. It's not common, but has happened a number of times over the years.

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
DanDiver said:
Guess that'll leave room for a small compressor.
That was my thought on the GT, too, although I never got around to doing it.

DanDiver said:
Have you seen the tool "kit" under the seat? One small screwdriver and I wonder what that is for?
This is a brand-new BMW. There is no real need for tools . . . ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts