BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just drilled the weep hole since I had to replace a leaking clutch line anyway. Rotted out just under the rubber at the banjo bolt by the way. I had a little oil inside the cylinder but cleaned it all up before I checked to see what kind it was. I believe it was transmission since the bottom of the seal was a little wet. Can I test the slave to see if it will leak? I have a 2005 with 32k. Also is there a more resistant seal to synthetic I can purchase?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
If there was gear oil n the recess then you need to replace the rear input shaft seal (PN 23 12 7 705 085) 17x28x7. Gear oil will destroy the slave seal. You can check the slave by using the release rod to push the piston back. Look in the bore for evidence of leaking or oil contamination.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, I thought you had a post out there with information about a better seal. I did that with the shaft and didn't see any leaks. Took it apart and everything seems to be ok. I wasn't sure that just by operating it this way would give certain proof.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
The better seal was for the out put shaft where the drive shaft goes. When you push the piston back in the slave, the bore should be dry - if not you may have a leak.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
If you have over 30,000 miles on the slave, WISE move would be to replace it while you have it apart! Not worth re using one with much mileage on it, you would just be liable for a failure sooner than you would expect.

Also, as John said, check it for dry bore with the piston pushed back, and even more importantly check that the little bearing in the end of the slave piston is spinning freely. That bearing tightening or freezing is likely the failure mode of many, if not most. If the piston spins in the cylinder due to a tight bearing, it is all over!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe the slave is alright but I think I will take your advice and change it. Now if I can only find somebody to make me up a clutch line.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Bite the bullet, buy the stock line and ride on. The original lasted this long.

Robert

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bite the bullet, buy the stock line and ride on. The original lasted this long.

Robert[/QUOTE Have you read my other thread "Can't find an aftermarket clutch hose". I don't think so. I don't mind getting hosed but not double hosed:histerica

1 - 8 of 8 Posts