BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were out for a ride this afternoon and did not return home until late evening and As most of you know traveling at night you sort of feel like you are in a tunnel, you see the road as your lights illuminate it with an occasional car passing from the other direction and even though nothing has really changed from the daylight you kinda close out the rest of the world. It is at times like these that I pay the most attention to the sounds and sensations of the motorcycle I am riding, tonight with my LT, a gentle hum from the exhaust, a confident easy purr saying “I’m here if you need me”, an almost non existent whir from the drive gears, the tires gently rubbing on the surface of the road saying “I gotcha just relax”, I adjusted the windshield and there was a gentle wind puffing at my sleeves and occasionally at my face, I turned the radio down to better hear the LT whisper to me, and as I listened a feeling of contentment crept over me, one that is not available to me any other place, THAT IS WHY I RIDE A MOTORCYCLE AND CHOOSE TO RIDE AN LT.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
I ride an LT because... she made me (ex SO)!:rolleyes: :histerica

·
Registered
371 Posts
Moi Aussi

zippy_gg said:
I ride an LT because... she made me (ex SO)!:rolleyes: :histerica
Almost exactly as Zippy, except current SO. Weird. If I mention selling it (even just to get a newer one) she freaks. I don't know WTF she does back there on longer rides, but seems too content to me. Heck, just yesterday, we cruised into town, got a "few" groceries. The LT swallowed the many bags without a hitch.
Dunno. LT-wise specifically, I would say the famous transformation: from a parked, lumbering truck to an agile, powerfull crotch-rocket at speed.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
After 37 years of riding, and the LT being the best; Its because when I get On everything else " goes away".
We can ride for 700 miles/day and we always want to get back on.
Because riding first thing in the morning with my SO heading thru the great beautiful land of AMERICA is where our souls meet. Very few LOOK at this country for its amazing beauty and just drive thru it. The LT just helps us get thru with its endless beauty and its reliablility. (76000 no issues.)
What else is there? MY WFE, The BIKE and the WORLD.

Zeke

·
Registered
339 Posts
From the very first time I saw an LT, I knew I was going to own one sooner or later. I took a few years, but the wait was well worth it. This motorcycle not only rides as good as it looks, it has also taken my experiences and expectations of motorcycle riding to a level that I did not know existed.

I cannot for the life of me, phathom a replacement. The LT is the purest of the pure.......that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

:dance:

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Alway wanted a BMW.

We did not have a dealer so I rode Honda's. Great motorcycle, but I always wanted a BMW. Even without a dealer I bought a K100RS white, which was totaled with a deer strike that was in 1996. I have two Goldwings, 1994 and a 2001. Again great motorcycle, but I wanted another BMW. So Miller BMW opens it doors in 2002. I bought a 2002 RT which did not like, with my Goldwing. The SO did not the RT so we sold the RT and Goldwing and I got my first LT in 2002. Have had LT ever since and love it. After my Alaska trip on 1999 without any problem, an LT will always in the garage.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My wife also loves her "throne", but she really LOVES the LT's presto-change-o
from comfy to twisty!!!
In that regard...last week on our Sunday ride w/HD's she said "I'm not nearly as tired as we usually are?? I answer-"We have never done so many miles that are not twisties and you are not just hanging out back there-you are leaning, anticipating, and so on.
So the LT is it!!!

MIke

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Being a farmer at heart, I like tractors.... I like their simplicity and function.

When I rode the Oriental machines, they were scary fast fun... but I had an aversion to the Metric System.

So much of the tractor is customizable to personal taste... color, exhaust note.... and all it takes is a few bucks. The Orientals were, well, Oriental.

BMW... when I would sit on them in the showroom, didn't seem to "fit". It was the "Ugly German attitude"... "It is perfect."

In 2005 my wife finally convinced me, after 10 years, to test ride a BMW, the LT. I loved it's blend of performance and touring...

In my American way of thinking, I see "faults" in the product design of the BMW... things I know they can fix... that may happen when they decide on the PERFECT fix(es).

Side Note: IF it were up to me, I would mostly do the "adventure touring"... camping, waking to the sound of quiet you only find in nature and mountain vistas... something a BMW can do, just not the LT.

So, to answer the question, I ride the LT because it is the best currently being manufactured... and it's the epitome of the kind of motorcyclist I have matured to...

I just need to "grow up" and realize it...... NAAAAHHHH!!!

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
When I was looking to get back on two wheels in earnest and replace my 76 Kawasaki I wanted a BMW, in part because of their support of older models. I wanted a touring model and narrowed down the search to RT, RS, or LT. Cruise control was almost mandatory so the RT was out, I'm an old guy so humping the RS gas tank all day wasn't appealing, and finally the LT's extra heft was offset by comfort for the SO.

·
Registered
747 Posts
After riding BMW's for over 40 years, this year I trailered to West Bend. The SO said riding the LT was better than all the other BMW's we had ever rode.

an no matter what it take to ride to Gillette, WY next year it will be ride or NO GO.

The only problem with my LT is it is over 7years old, an only has 41,000 mile on it.

Some thing is wrong.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
For a long time I lived on a motorcycle for much of the year.
Sure my articles about breakdowns in the middle of nowhere. How I made the repairs to get me where I needed to be were entertaining for the readers. But they were still a PITA for me.
I wanted the best ride and longest service for my riding dollar, (length of service for dollars invested) BMW fit the bill and still does.
That said the LT has it's limitations, but for highway riding it has no equal.
Now it sucks in the dirt and you have to buy another bike to train for serious off road adventures.
I read your post and I have always tried to tell people, turn all the BS off and become one with your machine. It makes you a better rider.
Rock

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
The short version

In early '02, I took a ride down the Blue Ridge Parkway on my '83 Honda V65, then on to Atlanta, GA. I have owned SIX V65s, and had a love affair with the machine for many years. But on the way home back in '02, I finally decided that the V65 was not the right machine for me anymore. I needed something more suited for Long-Distance Touring. I looked at every make and model available. I figured someday I'd own a GoldWing, but that just wasn't the right time . . . guess I figured at 37, I wasn't old enough yet. (Honest!) The last bike I looked at (and test rode) was a new BMW K1200RS. I was pretty set on buying that bike. When I showed it to my wife online, she wasn't too thrilled with the pillion. I showed her an LT, and she said, "Oh! I'd ride THAT!!!". The next morning I got on the phone with the two nearest dealers and had them give me a price for the exact same LT. The lowest bidder got my business. 46K miles later, I sold the LT and bought a new '06 GT from that same dealer.

Although I'm not as brand loyal as some...I'll probably always own a BMW of some sort. There's just something about 'em... ;)

·
Registered
353 Posts
I test rode all the touring bikes while I hade my 1984 Yamaha Venture, And this is the replacement I choose. It came down between the gold wing and the LT. The LT was what I got and have no regrets.
I love this bike.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The price was right.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I like how people always think BMW's are soo expensive. For what they have on them they are one of the cheapest bikes used. I bought a 2000 for 7,500. You can't even find a 2000 Goldwing close to that price, plus your stuck with the ugly model. I wasn't looking for another LT to add to my 1100 but I couldn't pass up the price. I love my LT's for LD.
Most people think im crazy. I pull up take off my helmet and gear. First question I get, "Aren't you a little young for that?"
I respond, "No, its a sportbike motor trapped in touring luggage."
This fall hoping to hit all the states besides Alaska. LT is best bang for buck.
Almost forgot 320 miles on tank of gas!!!! Soon to be more.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Put many miles on our Rt.......
but........well.......getting older and wanted more "comfort"......................
Couldn't bring myself to leave BMW but I liked the Goldwing approach..........
I held back for quite a while, not wanting to admit I didn't need "sporty"..........
Best move I ever made.....................(beside letting Karen put an air mattress in our tent).................

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Price and Comfort

Price and comfort.

I know that's 2 reasons instead of one.

Oh well, that's my story. LOL :bmw:

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
It was the wife

On the previous bike we could do 450 miles but the next day she couldn't ride. One day in the BMW show room in Wooster, the salesman suggested we both sit on the LT. She said "you can get one of these!"... who am I to argue? ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't ride an LT yet, but am looking into getting one. I currently ride a HD Street Glide. Not a bad bike but I am looking to take my steed to the next level. I am kind of uncomfortable trying to fit the image of HD, and the direction they have been going with quality control and customer service is not agreeing with me. I am 30 years old and have owned many sport bikes and a couple HDs. I don't care for loud pipes or bikes that are all show and no go. I registered to this site to get some insight and maybe reinforce my decision to go with an LT. I grew up on Beemers in the 80s going from rally to rally with my father on his 1982 R 100GS. It was a great time and are some of my fondest memories. I guess there isn't any bad motorcycles to ride, if a trail 70 was all I could get my hands on, you would still see me smiling. I have 7 months to make my decision out in Iraq so I will be picking your brains with questions from time to time. Hope you won't mind. Great site so far.

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
It followed me home

I took it for a test ride and could not believe the way it handled for such a big bike. Just could not stop smiling. Felt that life was just too short to say no!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts