BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You guys will probably have some fun with me here but here it goes. :)

I've been watching Ewan and Charley's, Long Way Around and Long Way Down DVDs to help pass the long winter months and I must admit that I'm really digging the whole idea of this Adventure Touring stuff.

I know that they probably aren't the most hardcore adventure motorcyclists out there(support crew, medic, mechanics, security personnel, etc..) but it still makes for good entertainment. I noticed that their bikes seem to be a real ordeal to pick up after they drop it. Maybe they have way too much weight in their panniers?

When you guys drop your GS or GSA, are you able to pick it up by yourself without giving yourself a hernia?

While these bikes look pretty fugly, the idea of doing some light off-road adventure touring/camping might be worth a try but not if it means that you need help to upright the bike if and when it falls down.

I'm not crazy enough to consider extreme off road stuff but dirt roads, gravel roads, logging roads, roads in campgrounds, etc...

Are these bikes manageable for somebody out on their own(minus support crew).

Please chime in! :D

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
GS is an amazing machine and I love mine for longhaul rides to off road destinations.
Picking it up depends on your physical condition, I choose to wait for help (If I know it's coming).
I just aquired an 08 Suzuki DR650 for the gravel/fireroads close to home ,it weights about half as much and costs a third of the GS, but is not nearly the road bike the GS is.
Life is a comprimise.
That's why I have one of each.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, Ewen and Charley weren't over acting when they were trying to pick these things up. :D

They do look like huge bikes. I'm six feet tall and in average condition I guess. I have no problem standing up my Vulcan 1600 Classic when it tips over but that's a different animal then an R1200GS/GSA. The weight of a GS/GSA is probably a lot more top-heavy then my cruiser. My bike weighs over 750 lbs. but the weight is carried pretty low.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Been there; Done that with my 2009 GSA.
Same as picking up my K1200LT.
Take the panniers off, if they're packed.
Not a problem.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I have managed to pick my LT up the 4 times that I have tipped it over..once I had to make my wife get off first...she didn't even offer to help, guess she wasn't impressed with being dropped in the parking lot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the old trick of putting your butt against the seat and reaching backwards to grab the handlebars, then using your legs to push the bike upright. Like doing a leg press in the gym.

Wouldn't that work?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Pick mine up just like I used to pick the LT up.........It's a little easier though....even loaded up.

·
Registered
270 Posts
When you are off highway you sometimes have to pick the bike up when it is lying downhill, that makes it a whole lot worse, I started carrying 1 short soft hook and one long soft hook, attach at the proper places, put you hands thru the soft hooks use the (butt on the seat technique and push with legs) with your hands in the soft hooks yo do not have to hold onto the bike and you keep your arms straight instead of trying to pick up with your arms. The soft hooks mean you do not have to hold on to pick it up. Kieth

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes easy,turn handle bars so that front of tyre is pointing up. Grab one handle bar that is closest to you,face the bike as close as you can get and lift.I am no muscle man ,61 years old.It is easy if you know how !
cheers Andrew R1200GS ( standing )

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have picked up an LT (not mine) using the "Skert" method, so I would assume that I could pick up a GS.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Picked up the GS more times that I want to admit, unload it first, then it is a lot easier than the LT, but it is not a little bike sort of like the LT of dirt roads. After 3 or 4 times in a day you will be ready to camp/sleep just about anywhere, my problem seems to be the GS never falls down where it would be easy to pick up, there always seems to be sand, rocks or mud involved.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Not quite a GS, but I was rear ended in January while riding to work on the RT. The hospital thinks my left shoulder had been dislocated then reseated itself straight after the accident, but I managed to lift the RT back up without too much problem.

Of course it could have been the adrenaline rush, but I was surprised at how easily she came up!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm with most of these guys - I have dropped it more times than I'd like but then again I've found that picking it up gets easier with practice. I'm 66 and weigh 172 but I can get her on her feet again. At first the tricky part was picking it up from the left side and balancing it while I got the sidestand down. That's gotten easier, as well. Fortunately I haven't had to pick up my LT yet and don't ever want to.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Picked up the GS the only time I went down on her...did it rather easy considering I broke my ankle, the fibia.... Sorry to be graphic.. It hurt like the dickens.. But adrenaline will get you over the hump so to speak.. And no, I'm not tuff.. I was laffing hard it hurt too...

I did have help once I got on her(balance) and rode to the restaurant ... It was then I decided I wasn't so hungry anymore.. :histerica

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I just got a " new to me" 08 R1200GSA this week in another state

Drover her home 800 miles.

Stoped ~6 times on way home, gas, dinner, directions, bio break etc. and no problems, no dropping the bike.

Got home, parked in the drive to open the darage door and down she went.

IT was 3 am. I was awake and alert and all was fine with me, just did not get the stand all the way down I quess as I was getting off.

I picked her up NO problem..

Just did the old butt against the saddle trick and all was well.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I think the biggest problem with picking a bike up while offroading is the fact that one might be winded by this time.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Congrats on your new acquisition.
I hope you'll enjoy yours as much as I have.

As you found out, the "clunk" that you hear
doesn't always mean that the sidestand is down.
I always visually confirm that it is down.
I'd have been surprised a few times, if I hadn't.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts