BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
short of replacing all the throttle cables/actuators on my LT to improve the "Action" of them,....is there some intermediate procedure (lubing with Teflon spray?) to improve throttle actuation?

Brian in Austin

·
Registered
302 Posts
2 and a half years ago, mine were so stiff I was sure that they would soon break. I lubed them with CRC Heavy Duty Silicone. That was 40K miles ago. They are still working fine. I only had to disconnect them at the twist grip and the only tupperware I removed was the right handle-bar cover.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Can Throttle cables be lubed to improve their action until I find time/$$ to replace?

Thanks Mike,

That is exactly what I was considering.....I actually have one of those motion pro lubers somewhere.....if it didn't get stolen when my storage unit got broken into.

Where did you find the CRC HD Silicone spray?

Brian

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
Re: Can Throttle cables be lubed to improve their action until I find time/$$ to replace?

wildwestrider said:
short of replacing all the throttle cables/actuators on my LT to improve the "Action" of them,....is there some intermediate procedure (lubing with Teflon spray?) to improve throttle actuation?

Brian in Austin
The only thing I can add to what the others have said is that a petroleum based lubricant will cause the Teflon liners to swell. As I understand it and as Mike stated, a silicone based lubricant will work.

·
Registered
302 Posts
wildwestrider said:
Thanks Mike,

That is exactly what I was considering.....I actually have one of those motion pro lubers somewhere.....if it didn't get stolen when my storage unit got broken into.

Where did you find the CRC HD Silicone spray?

Brian
I got it at NAPA

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

Brian,

My local WalMart had it in the automotive section.

Ron

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

OK guys, I took the right side bar cover off and pulled the cable housing covers and then released the throttle cables.....I DID find my Cable luber (Thats exciting) and had some regular Permatex Silicone spray.....put the luber on the cable,...plugged in my can of Silicone and sprayed.......there is a lot of Silicone spraying out of the end of the luber......I have moved the luber back and forth on the cable end and tried pressing a rag down against the end that the spray is coming out of....

Given that the cables have what looks like a black plastic or rubber inner sleeve that essentially seals off the loose end of the cable,....Im wondering if any lube is getting in there.

Also wondering if the "Heavy Duty" Silicone is critical here.....I am concerned that a more viscous lube (the HD CRC) might actually produce some drag itself.....but I am headed to Walmart in a minute to see if they have it.

Brian

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I'd think that lock lubricant containing graphite would work real good.

Any opinions or thoughts on that stuff. Well I used to use it with excellent results in the other brand of motorcycle I used to ride before I left the dark side.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Walmart did have the Heavy Duty Silicone.

Anyone know how it differs from regular Silicone spray?

Brian

·
Registered
76 Posts
Newer used throttle cable

I had a pull throttle cable fray at 25K. I installed a newer used, unfrayed, cable. Then I took 1 spring off 1 throttle body to ease the tension. I was amazed how good the throttle action was. Then screwed up by lubing this cable with silicone spray. It got a little harder to pull. Don't use any lube. The black inner liner is teflon. Also I greased the heck out of the angle turning plastic under the throttle grip in hopes of reducing fraying. My bike had very little servicing in its 7 year prior owner life and I'm paying for it now.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Too Late, that ship has sailed. Lubed them last night and the action seems much improved......Still a lot of spring tension. Next time I have the plastic off,...I'll look at removing one spring......do you feel like all the throttle bodies are fully returning since removing one spring?

Brian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts