BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a Nolan N104 with bluetooth intercom set up be paired with a Schuberth C3 that has the bluetooth SRCS set up?

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I do not believe that the Nolan Bluetooth set does bike to bike communication.. I believe they are set up only to talk to a passenger with a Nolan NCOM identical setup. This could have changed since the last time I did some research..

·
Registered
148 Posts
The NEW Nolan B4 bluetooth system will talk to four bikes. Now if they all have to be the Nolan system I'm not sure. Shouldn't bluetooth talk to bluetooth ?? Or is each company broadcasting on different freqs ?

·
Registered
712 Posts
You would think. But you can't make money that way.
It has I think something to do with the Bluetooth stack & it implementation by each vendor.

billr said:
The NEW Nolan B4 bluetooth system will talk to four bikes. Now if they all have to be the Nolan system I'm not sure. Shouldn't bluetooth talk to bluetooth ?? Or is each company broadcasting on different freqs ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thumperjon said:
Can a Nolan N104 with bluetooth intercom set up be paired with a Schuberth C3 that has the bluetooth SRCS set up?
Short answer = no. Nolan talks to Nolan, Schuberth to Schuberth, etc. Apparently it's too much for us to ask for all Bluetooth to be compatible.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Should have done more research. Thanks for the info, been waffling for last 6 months on helmet and BT, bike to bike communication. I'll probably end up with a new helmet and install my old autocom for awhile. BT would surely be more convenient, just didn't want to get locked into one brand.
Appreciate any suggestions.
As you can see by my farkel list, kept The LT simple.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
piper1612000 said:
Should have done more research. Thanks for the info, been waffling for last 6 months on helmet and BT, bike to bike communication. I'll probably end up with a new helmet and install my old autocom for awhile. BT would surely be more convenient, just didn't want to get locked into one brand.
Appreciate any suggestions.
As you can see by my farkel list, kept The LT simple.

Thanks
I farted with at least two different bluetooth dongles in September, trying to get one of them to pair to my Schuberth SRC and to my BMW Motorad helmet w/ built-in bluetooth, and not only did that not work, but the Schuberth SRC will not pair up to the BMW helmet. :mad:
WTF? Want to add salt to the wound? Schuberth and BMW have some kind of business relationship. here's what I found online:
"BMW Motorrad USA recommends the Schuberth C3 as the helmet of choice for riders of the BMW K 1600 GT/L equipped with the BMW Audio".
Sounds as if anyone with a BMW Motorad helmet wanting to buy a K1600GTL will have to buy a new helmet as well. :confused:

From what I remember, it's not a matter of different frequency ranges, but the particular methodology? used for each bluetooth device. There's no industry standard for bluetooth devices. I somewhat equate it to the old VHS and Beta VCRs. both did the same function and had same generic name, yet they were incompatible w/ each other.

BTW, someone mentioned these different comm systems being able to talk to each other, i.e. bike to bike, and that's how these manufacturers advertise their products, but they usually leave out the fact it has to be the same brand/model. Typical buyer learns this only after they buy one and reads the manuals, where it points out the limitations/disclaimers. Sounds like deceptive advertising to me. :cussing:

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I've been trying to find a good 2 way radio set up, not CB. Since I have a Sena 10 headphone I've been doing a lot of searching for a bluetooh 2 way radio or a 2 way radio interface.

I've found the most useful info here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/

The good news is ther is a way to get a 2 way radio into bluetooth. The bad news, other than the cost is that I haven't found a VOX set up. Fortunately one of the interfaces at least has a wireless PTT switch. Unfortunately (I feel like I'm in an old Abott and Costello routine?) there isn't a way to do software updates to the interface?

Initially I thought BT was BT, there was an industry standard--what a mess!!

I have seen an add from a company selling BT headsets where you can buy a headset, or the BT module, and it acts as a relay, or repeter, picking up signals from this company's BT modules and rebroadcasting them.

If that works, then communication can be maintained within a group.

I did run across mention that Midland might be selling a 2 way radio in Europe with BT built in?

Course, start looking at 2 way radios and there are at least 3 different legal radio types to choose from, FRS, GMRS, MURS. I do not consider CB to be reliable because of "Skip" and congestion. If I remember correctly one needs a GMRS license, $50 annual fee?

Since the entry level tests for Ham Radio were radically changed many years ago, I think the most reliable 2 way bike to bike communications is VHF, 2 meters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts