BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have the fuel tank off the bike and found a lot of dirt around the engine before take anything apart will it harm the bike if I spray engine cleaner and clean it with water.....

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I would use either an aerosol can foaming engine cleaner and low pressure water to rinse or I would go to Harbor Freight and get one of their wands that connects to your compressor with a suction hose going into your choice of de-greasers. Then rinse with low pressure water. These guys work really well. Here is the link: http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/specialty-air-tools/engine-cleaning-gun-97014.html

OR......... Just leave it like it is. If you do your own maintenance nobody but you will ever see it!

One last thing. Make sure your cleaner is safe for aluminum. i.e won't discolor it.

Loren

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Wash, Yes.:)

Powerwash, NO !:mad:

John

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
JPSpen said:
Wash, Yes.:)

Powerwash, NO !:mad:

John
Wash = WHY?

Only clean the windshield and mirrors and keep going :)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
In a previous post you stated: "I decided no more dealer and high $$$$ repair so ill do it my self. (am very good around engine).

Now you're asking, in two posts, if you can wash an engine?
I'm confused.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
be nice!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Printman
I use a good degreaser like simple green. I may have to soak the engine pretty good to loosen all the crud but when it's soft to the touch I will pressure wash the engine. Never had a problem yet.
Lt had a lot of oil on it when I got it, but not now. I can't stand a dirty engine in a motorcycle or truck. My books, it's a sign of laziness, no pride what so ever, or both.
Either way I keep mine clean.
Some on here say not to pressure wash these bikes. I say " horsepucky". I've heard people since middle school saying not to do this or do things this way. When in fact all these people know is what a smarter than them idiot says. Neither one not knowing for sure.
In a nut shell, It doesn't matter what Joe Schmuckatelli says, If it seems right to you go for it and everybody else can wonder how you did it so nice.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
:
fpmlt said:
That WAS nice! You should see me when I'm being an A$$. :wave
Same here :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
car engine not bikes motorcycle have to many plugs and electrical component. not like a car

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
printman said:
car engine not bikes motorcycle have to many plugs and electrical component. not like a car
Agreed. I was always warned NOT to wash car engines as the electrical systems are not fully weather proof.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I pulled the fuel tank out and remove the pump and filter (remember this bike was sitting for a couple years) am going to replace the fuel filter but before I put everything back together how can I check the pump to make sure it works while outside the tank

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
1dbweldor said:
Some on here say not to pressure wash these bikes. I say " horsepucky". I've heard people since middle school saying not to do this or do things this way. When in fact all these people know is what a smarter than them idiot says. Neither one not knowing for sure.
In a nut shell, It doesn't matter what Joe Schmuckatelli says, If it seems right to you go for it and everybody else can wonder how you did it so nice.
MOM says not to use a pressure washer. MOM always knows best. :wave

You're probably asking yourself, "Who the heck is MOM and why should I care what she says?!?" :confused:

MOM is your Motorcycle Owner's Manual. :bmw: calls it the "Maintenance Instructions". The part about not using steam jet or high-pressure cleaning equipment is on page 62. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts