BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More specifically, can I put the fork brace that HOLDS the handlebars from a GS/A on to an RT?

What I want to do is mount a set of Heli Bars on my RT, but the full set only comes for a GS/A. Long story, but I'm looking for some verification that the fork braces are interchangeable before I plunk down $600 for the Heli Bars.

Anyone?

·
Registered
2013 R1200RT
45 Posts
On the Helibars site, you can enter your make, model and year of bike, and it’ll show you the parts that will fit on your bike.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the Helibars site, you can enter your make, model and year of bike, and it’ll show you the parts that will fit on your bike.
Yes, I realize that. The ones that they make for the RT are basically risers. The full Heli-Bars setup, which offer multiple angles of adjustment, is only made for the GS/A. Hence my question. I have already got a fork brace from a GS/A which LOOKS like it would be a plug-and-play swap, but I am trying to confirm before I spend the money.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The short answer is "no." There are no adapters for RT handlebars that provide multiple position options.

·
Registered
2013 R1200RT
45 Posts
Helibars has this for 2014-2019 RT models:

• HeliBars® Handlebar Riser for BMW R1200/1250RT LC (HB05106)

Wunderlich has the Vario system. I plugged in my bike, a 2013 RT, and it says this fits.

I really don’t see how you’d fit any GS products on your RT, unless you want to Macgyver and modify.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I think we have got the wrong message.
I think captainmarko is asking if he can fir the top yolk from a GS onto the RT.
Is this what you are asking?

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think captainmarko is asking if he can fir the top yolk from a GS onto the RT.
Is this what you are asking?
Precisely! In the parts fiche, it is referred to as the "upper fork brace", if I recall correctly. And it appears that, with some cosmetic differences, they are essentially the same bike. So, if I can fit the GS/A upper fork brace, then I can use the Heli Bars that are made for that bike as well.

I really don’t see how you’d fit any GS products on your RT, unless you want to Macgyver and modify.
If my theory is correct, it should be a very simple operation that requires no modification at all.

Remove controls. Remove RT bars, which serve as the upper fork brace. Install GS/A upper fork brace. Install Heli Bars. Replace controls.

The frames, engine, final drive, etc. are all the same and are listed as such in the BMW parts fiche. So it stands to reason that they would be interchangeable. But I've yet to be able to confirm that.

·
Registered
2013 R1200RT
45 Posts
I hope it works out for you. It’d be amazing if multiple parts were interchangeable across various models and years.

I just bought a RoxSpeed riser kit for my 2013 RT, and what a pain it was in the research process! In some cases the info on sites is just wrong. There was one riser in particular advertised on the Revzilla site that said it fit ‘05-‘12 RTs—which I found odd—so I went to the manufacturer site, and they had it fitting‘05-‘13 RTs.

The RoxSpeed turned out to be just the ticket though...half the price of what all the other manufacturers have out there... and it fits!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not specific to the bars, but I believe many markets got the wet head RT as a 2013 model whereas the US market got it as a 2014, hence the confusion in accessory fitment.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Not specific to the bars, but I believe many markets got the wet head RT as a 2013 model whereas the US market got it as a 2014, hence the confusion in accessory fitment.
I don't believe that is correct! The GS/GSA wethead was released as model year 2013 to all markets, and the RT was released a year later, as the model year 2014, again to all markets. You are probably confusing with the actual release date, since MD 2013 is usually shipped in late 2012, as the MD 2014 was shipped in late 2013. I should know, I had the 2014 RT as well as the present 2015 RT!

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
9 Posts
Captain Marko.
As I mentioned over on the MOA site I want to do the exact same thing and like you think it would work. Did you attempt it or hear from someone who did? I want to get pipe style bars on my 2018 RT by getting a 'traditional' top clamp like on a GS on there.
Anyone in New Hampshire have the top clamp/triple tree clamp sitting on a workbench I could borrow for a day? I could pop the RT bars off and see if it lines up.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Captain Marko.
As I mentioned over on the MOA site I want to do the exact same thing and like you think it would work. Did you attempt it or hear from someone who did? I want to get pipe style bars on my 2018 RT by getting a 'traditional' top clamp like on a GS on there.
Anyone in New Hampshire have the top clamp/triple tree clamp sitting on a workbench I could borrow for a day? I could pop the RT bars off and see if it lines up.

YES!!!!! Finally! Someone as crazy as me. I stopped following this thread and the one over on MOA because no one has an answer. I would LOVE to know if you pull this off. Please keep me in the loop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Still nothing going here! I know a guy with a 2020 GS, I'll take a hard look at that with some measuring equipment. I don't think he will let me pull his bike part though.
Someone out there must be familiar with the front end of the RT and GS. Are they the same at the top once you get the top brace off?

·
Registered
2013 R1200RT
45 Posts
You could always ask a mechanic at your BMW dealer. I’m sure he’s seen it all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK--for those wondering about this. (captain Marko--you still here?) While it is not road tested yet--I did it. I sourced a top clamp that came from a 2015ish GS and a handlebar from another GS. Removed the controls from my 2018 RT, then the top clamp/handle bar set up. The GS top clamp bolted in place and appears to be fine. the sliders do sit in the clamp a hair lower, but as they are true sliders--not sprung suspension, this does not appear to be an issue. The controls went onto the handlebars no problem. Now this puts the controls right back where they started, but I can now get the ROX bar backs that are really adjustable and can get the bars back--not just up.. Once I get them I will see about the cable routing, but I think if I move them to the inside of the sliders I will have full range of movement without problems. They may be a bit wider and I am wondering about bending a bit also to put in the perfect position--they may be alloy which would not be real safe to bend I believe. I will consult my local metal expert on this.

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
333 Posts
OK--for those wondering about this. (captain Marko--you still here?) While it is not road tested yet--I did it. I sourced a top clamp that came from a 2015ish GS and a handlebar from another GS. Removed the controls from my 2018 RT, then the top clamp/handle bar set up. The GS top clamp bolted in place and appears to be fine. the sliders do sit in the clamp a hair lower, but as they are true sliders--not sprung suspension, this does not appear to be an issue. The controls went onto the handlebars no problem. Now this puts the controls right back where they started, but I can now get the ROX bar backs that are really adjustable and can get the bars back--not just up.. Once I get them I will see about the cable routing, but I think if I move them to the inside of the sliders I will have full range of movement without problems. They may be a bit wider and I am wondering about bending a bit also to put in the perfect position--they may be alloy which would not be real safe to bend I believe. I will consult my local metal expert on this.
Does your 18RT have keyless ignition? I'm assuming it doesn't matter and the hole for the ignition is the same diameter for both a keyed and keyless switch. Thank you for the update. Any pics?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does your 18RT have keyless ignition? I'm assuming it doesn't matter and the hole for the ignition is the same diameter for both a keyed and keyless switch. Thank you for the update. Any pics?

it is keyless. Just drill out the security bolts and replace with allen head. Bolts right onto the GS clamp. Will Take pix when I get a minute.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The GS top clamp bolted in place and appears to be fine
Watching closely. I need a bit more rise than the current offerings provide.

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK--Photos finally. And an update. I now have the GS top clamp and a set of GS bars in place. This has put my reach to the grips a bit further due to the bars being 4 inches wider. As the bars are aluminum alloy I can not bend them. nt addition of ROX GS risers. Due to their great adjustability it has brought the bars almost 2 inches closer. Bars are still wide--but they are closer. I am getting there.

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
333 Posts
Looks great... I want to try this too I think. Can you cut the bars now to make them shorter?

Any negative input other than the extra width?

Sammy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts