BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just curious...how do you lift a vehicle with that? Find the balance point? I'm sure you could formulate some sort of slide on device that you could secure the mid-frame of your bike to and leave stuff exposed for access. Just take some good old southern engineering and I'm sure you have that in spades...

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
I'm not sure what the capacity is, but I occasionally use my Infinity SUV's scissor jack to raise up my K1200LT for wheel cleaning. Not too high though!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
How about some 6" +/- channel iron, about 8' long, wheel chock on one end for the front tire, then 4 arms at points comfortable for you, that you could use as the lift points for the arms on your hoist. The narrow channel would allow almost complete access to the bike from underneath. You could also use a small bottle jack if you wanted to pick up just one wheel. Would be easy enough to put security tiedowns to the arms.
Here's a pic, if it'll load.
Just my random thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
As is customary for me, I act before I research. I was recently shopping and came upon a floor jack made for MC's/ATV's. Now eager to learn DIY maintenance on my LT, I thought "what a great item to have" and scooped it up. Lifting capacity is 1500 lbs, but now that I got it home, I'm wondering will this darn thing work on my bike without causing damage on the belly of the beast. Anybody else using anything like this? What are good jack points? Center stand, Skid plate?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,924 Posts
Unfortunately those are designed for bikes that have a sub frame under the engine. The LT is best lifted on a platform lift.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Brainstorming here:
Get a plate long enough for the LT's wheelbase, or a couple shorter pieces and tack 'em together. Reinforce with some angle iron lenghtwise.
Use some big U-bolts (fabricate from threaded rod?) through the deck you fabricate to engage the lift arms on one side of your car lift.
I'd use just one side of the car lift to lift the LT.
You might fabricate a front wheel chock, but for sure put some tie-down points on the deck to stabilize the LT during the ride up.

cwo said:
Howdy :wave

Need some ideas, I have a two post car-lift, and want to use it as a MC lift.

It's one of these https://www.garybloomsales.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_30&products_id=72

Any ideas on how to build a bike platform that be raised by the car lift??
I have welding experience.... but need a plan.

Thanks, Chris Ogle

·
Registered
773 Posts
Paul

Just above the foot pegs is a round hole in the frame where you can undo the rear transmission support bolt - they fit in there and support the back of the bike. You then need a support under the front of the engine or a wheel support. It bolts onto the base of the foot peg mount found here http://www.on-bike.com/mounts_options.htm

I also got the missing bits for the foot peg mount for very little so it can do nearly all bikes.

Not the cheapest option but does not take up as much room as a platform and works very well.

Regards

·
Registered
50 Posts
jzeiler said:
Unfortunately those are designed for bikes that have a sub frame under the engine. The LT is best lifted on a platform lift.
Thank you Sir. That's as I suspected after I started reading some of the related threads such as this one. No biggie I'm sure I will find it useful on my ATV :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts