BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Writing the subject line makes me think the answer is obvious but hear me out.

I am leaving on an 8,000 mile ride out west at the end of May on my '09 RT. I had the last 6,000 mile service at 19,700 and will return home from the ride with just under 30,000 miles on the bike. I'd rather not get a service en route. So...a 10,000 mile service interval. How badly will I be abusing the bike by waiting until I get home to do the service. I will change oil regularly.

Also, any warranty issues if I let it go that long?

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Wouldn't bother me one bit. Change the oil/filter around the 6k mile mark for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
ATDRS said:
Wouldn't bother me one bit. Change the oil/filter around the 6k mile mark for peace of mind.
I run 10K between services often...it's short trips and long time intervals that kill the fluids...not the miles ridden.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Rwbloch,

That trip will not cause any problems. An oil change is not needed also. I expect that you will be on the road on long distances only. So take care of the oil level and that´s it.
Klaus

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
patrick2000 said:
I run 10K between services often...it's short trips and long time intervals that kill the fluids...not the miles ridden.
I agree with Patrick with the caveat that the fluids in your bike now are full synthetic...if not I personally would try to change engine & rear end fluids once around the 6k mark.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Just keep an eye on the oil.. Mine hardly changes color between oil changes..

If it starts looking black then change it.. If it keeps clean there's no reason to get excited and over do it...

I remember when Mobil 1 first came out.. They said you could go 25,000 miles between oil changes.. I did on a Ford Van and it was fine...

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts